Forespar Marelon Seacocks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Forespar Marelon Seacocks

Post by gplume »

Anyone have any experince with the Forespar/Marelon (as in plastic) seacocks. They look ok, but I am not sure on the durability. Got a head pumpout valve to replace (below waterline...for dumping the holding tank), and am wondering weather it is worth saving a few bucks to use this product, as it looks like it would stay pretty free moving over life, or should I bite the bullet and go with bronze. The valve I am replacing is most likley OEM Bertam and a scew type. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks- Giff
Giff
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Giff,

I personally would never trust any sort of plastic through hull below the water line.... Bite the bullet.

Br,

Patrick
gplume

Post by gplume »

Thanks Capt. Pat.....I think I needed the reality check.
Giff
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I've seen these on some brand new very high end production boats as OEM equipment. I could not believe that high end boat builders would think that they could get away with that sort of thing.

A case of Too much money chasing too few boats. That is changing.
Carl

Post by Carl »

A top notch surveyour said they where very good and told my buddy not to waste his money changing them to bronze. I had looked thru boat prior to bud calling in the surveyor and mentioned I'd change them.

Long story short, if it where my boat I agree with Capt Pat, Bronze.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
Giff asked about Marelon sea cocks, they are accepted for use as sea cocks as long as the are stamped Marelon, ( spelling has to be correct, and properly stamped as Marelon, not Marlon, Marleon, etc.) they are used mainly in sail boats to keep down weight and don't need to be bonded. Never use any other type of plastic fittings below the water line. Quality Marelon brand fittings are almost as expensive as Conbraco or Perko.
Pete Fallon A.M.S Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I suppose it is just a prejudice of mine, but even though I know that these plastics are used and work well, I am still afraid of them being under the water line.
I imagine a flexing hull and a cracking seacock. This is only my opinion, I have absolutely no real world information that this might happen. I am not trying to discourage anyone from using them or to steer anyone away from purchasing them. As I said it is an irrational fear, but it's mine.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Same thing the other surveyor said. I believe you same as I believed the other guy. But its one of those things that if it ever failed I would kick myself over and over again because something deep inside says go with the tried and true bronze fitting.

Plastic does some funny things after it is subjected to cold then hot and cold, sits in water, then takes a hit being in the bilge, even being impregnated with glass fibers I am skeptical. It might be as good or maybe even better, but just not in my boat and I don't feel comfy recommending. At least not yet.
I'd be one of those year ago who said yeah fiberglass boats does seem to make sence, but I'll give it a few more years just to make sure anyway...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Raymarine is using plastic through-hull transducers
Comments!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mikey,

Kind of a different application... The tranducers through hulls are stuffed full & not just a hollow tube filled with water carrying a heavy valve on top, & under tension from a hose. I wouldn't be as concerned with the transducer as much as a raw water supply. If the transducer is large and projects down from flush, then I'd be back to bronze.

Br,

Patrick
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Mikey.......Thats a good reason to go with another brand IMO
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I owned a Grady 24' center console for 14 years.. sold it last summer. It had two molded in baitwells. one on each side just ahead of the engine well. Both had plastic thru hull drains which exited the boat in the boot stripe about 2-3 inches above the water line. Neither had isolation valves. Both were impossible to get at, and I never thought twice about them.

Three years ago I stripped the bottom, and while I was doing that I noticed that one of the plastic thru hull fittings for the bilge pump had a circumferential crack in it, pretty much at the point where the inside nut met the inner side of the hull. I decided to check all my through hull fittings since all were plastic. Most all had similar cracks in them.. but one of the baitwell drain thru hull fittings had actually cracked completely off at the nut, and was more or less being held in position by the short length of rubber hose that led to the baitwell drain fitting. Two to three inches above the water line I had a hole about the diameter of my index finger! I have no idea for how long!

Needless to say I replaced all of the thru hulls!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Plastic transducer thru hulls will not be on my boat again.

I whacked a piece of wood and then checked all my fittings quickly, nothing seemed comprimised, packing box seemed okay and other then a slight vibration from one wheel I was good to go. Oops one depth finder was out, took a second look at the transducer, again it seemed fine from inside, I gave it a good yank on the cord seemed okay, figured I just whacked it good and killed it. Following day I ordered a new transducer and made plans to haul later in the week when it came in.
Next few days I went fishing, brought out some friends, did a late night cruise on Friday. Saturday I haul boat so I can change out the ducer and wheels. I look underneath and I be dammed the tranducer sheered off flush to the fairing block. I go to push up on the stem of the remaining transducer...it just goes up effortlessly into the boat leaving behind a 7/8" hole in the bottom. Chills went up my back.
Again, plastic is supposed to be okay. But I spend the few bucks Xtra and go Bronze.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

boats useless insurance had a class action suit a few years back.a plactic thru hull was a excellent way of sinking at the dock it became so popular with a few brands and caught on as a good way to collect on insurance if you could not sell. what happen in reality was a baitwell or other bootstipe location would rub on the pilings or finger dock until the fitting broke once the boat took on a little water the transom was subjected to a ripple let alone a wake from some inconsiderate boater down she went and boat useless had to pay usually without question then the situation got out of hand.
long story short if you really want to sink it thats the #1 cause at the dock!!!!!!!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I agree with your posts on Plastic fittings, I don't use them on my boat and the boats that I used to build. Plastic is affected by Ultra Voilet rays, oils and harsh bilge cleaners. Marelon has its place, but I'm from the old school, if you can't hit it hard, heat it with a torch without bending or cut it easily it don't belong on a boat.
I surveyed a mid 90's Sea Ray a while ago that was loaded with Plastic above the water fittings, most were degraded, some were cracked and water intrusion was present in the core around everyone. Cost cutting measures invoked by the bean counters that think they get away from quality stainless and chrome bronze fittings, they don't know anything about boats, just looking at ways to save money.
The boating industry is becoming loaded with displaced automobile management types. Cars don't float and cheap plastic fittings shouldn't be onboard. Sort of like the Zermac crap that's been on the market for deck hardware.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Pat,
Thanks
Drifter31,
Not the only reason I will seek other electronics. Tried to download software from Raymarine as an experiment before buying from them. They are not Apple compatible. Emailed them to ask why. They said I had to change. I responded that for them to add Apple compatibility was a small, short, cheap fix for them (and it is) and would add an additional 10% (minimum) to there potential customer base. No reply.
So now I'm back to square one. Looking at chartplotter/fishfinder combo with depth, H2O temp, speed.
Clues?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I presently have older Raymarine electronics that are working fine, but my electronics guys swear by Furuno.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Have you looked at the Garmin Mikey?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Garmin, Garmin, Garmin, and since you are not a deepwater guy, the shoot thru the hull ducer for the sonar black box add on will read fine to 250' at 25 kts. I love my 2010C.

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You can always order an airmar transducer. They make about 90% of them and that is what comes with the Garmin. By the way, the rumor on the street is that another company is looking at buying up Raymarine. We could see another big name go by the wayside.