Model of 31 custom made

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

Model of 31 custom made

Post by Brewster Minton »

I found this company who will make a model of a boat from pics. It comes in a glass case takes 3 months to be made and about 3 grand. I saw a model they made and it was perfect. I am in the process of coming up with the money to have one made for myself.The web site is Seacraftclassics.com I thought some of you would be interested.
Harv

Post by Harv »

3 grand is a little steep for a glass encased model. For that money, I can buy a small outboard powered skiff to use as a tender, or a trailer for my 26 footer. Just seems like a lot of better ways to spend 3 grand, especially if you have to enter into a process to raise the money. I had found that site a long time ago and inquired about a group rate and was still in the 3 grand ballpark. Personally, I'd rather wait for a 5 or 6 hundred dollar, wall plaqued half model.
Harv
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

I think brewster you need another pole
Brewster Minton

I wanted the model made for my family. I have a model of a boat that my great grand father owned. My hope was that future generations of my family could enjoy it. I do not need a skiff I have a 16' flats boat 12' zodiac and another larger boat 54' symbol motoryatch. Oh and David0007 there are more rods at the house, did not have any more holders on the boat.
randall

Post by randall »

brewster......if folks didnt buy objects that stirred their heart but had no practical use....i'd still be shingling roofs.....3 grand is cheap for something that gives you pleasure every time you look at it.......what kind of boat did your great grand dad have?
Brewster Minton

It was a sail boat. very simple.but it was his and that made it special.I hope 10 generations from now my reletives can look and enjoy it.
nic

31 Half Model

Post by nic »

Harv,

There is a half model available from Trident Studios, you can check out the picture to see if it's what you want.

http://tridentstudio.com/models/images/Bertram31-2.JPG

Nic
Harv

Post by Harv »

Harv,

There is a half model available from Trident Studios, you can check out the picture to see if it's what you want.

http://tridentstudio.com/models/images/Bertram31-2.JPG

Nic
Nic,

I believe Capt. Patrick has a half model in his possession and will be doing something with it when time avails itself to him. I am patient enough to acquire this from one of the faithful, (especially from Patrick), than to send my money to total strangers.
Harv
clay

Post by clay »

I saw a custom model maker on line who has built a B31 it looks amazing take a look at:

http://www.kengardiner.com/categories/home/home.htm

good luck
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Nicest one I've ever seen. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

me too....this guy is very good
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Here is another Model, not quite as custom, but more affordable.

http://www.seacraftclassics.com/store/p ... rtram.html
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If ya got the money, go for it.
Never saw a brinks truck behind a hearse.

Although don't depend on handing it down and it lasting.

Back in 89' if any of you remember, Victory came out with a 38' trawler shaped like a tug. There was a local dealer that I did the work for and when one was sold to a local TV exec, I continued working on it.

He was at the truck one day cutting a check for some work and noticed a Dumas model boat catalog I had just got. While looking thru it they had a model of his boat and he went goo goo over it.

I offered to build and put it in a display case and he agreed. 1200 bucks.

It took a year to do cause it was a wood planked model with much detail.

I gave it to him and he kept it on his desk at the station until he passed from a heart attack a few years later. He really loved it.

In about 99 I got a call from his widow about the model. It had been damaged and could I repair it.

Well it turned out the grand kids when she wasn't looking put the thing in the pool and proceeded to try and sink it with waves from the dive board of which they only succeded into ruining the motor and servos and splintering it when the one little fat bastard landed on top of it cutting himself pretty good requiring stitches.

It was too badly damaged and she was heart broken.
I did offer to make the kid go away, at which she strangely hesitated but then said no.

So after your gone no guarantees on it lasting.