Chesapeake to Ft. Lauderdale

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Chesapeake to Ft. Lauderdale

Post by John F. »

I may be helping run my friend's CC35 from MD to Ft. Lauderdale. I ran a boat up from St. Augustine to MD a few years ago, so I'm a little familiar with the trip. When we ran up, we came inside at Morehead City, and ran the ICW up to Portsmouth. The CC35 is bigger and quicker than what we were in, and I'm wondering if it makes more sense to run down the Bay and stay outside to Oregon Inlet, and then run Pamlico Sound to Morehead and come out again. Running outside around Hatteras in mid-April seems like it may not be the way to go. Any advice? Any advice on the whole trip?

I'm thinking maybe MD to Oregon, Oregon to Wrightsville (inside around Cape Fear), Wrightsville to Hilton Head, HH to Florida (I don't know the Florida coast at all). Last time we did St. Aug to Jeckyl Island (boat problems), Jeckyl to Charleston, Charleston to Morehead, Morehead to Portsmouth, then up the Bay.

Thanks.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

John,

If you stop at Morehead City / Beaufort give me a call. My cell is 252 885 6146.

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

John,
I did a trip from Ft.Lauderdale to Norfolk 3yrs ago.
Was just a 'git'r done' trip.
If you don't have alot of time or you like to go 'fast', then stay outside as long as the weather permits.
'Fast' is a relative term. No wake zones on top of no wake zones, barges, pwc's, and people just out for a leisurely afternoon cruise can wear on the helmsman after awhile especially if you're going to try to stick with an adjenda.
That been said, some of the stretches of the ICW are absolutely beautiful, if you have the time and the company to enjoy it with.
My notes and charts aren't accessible right now, so I can't be much help on ports to call on / good fuel stops.
Cept that at that time Coinjock NC was probably the cheapest fuel stop we made, and the best prime rib dinner I've ever had was at the restaurant there.
Good Luck,
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

John...

I live about 1,500 feet from the ICW in Wilmington, NC. Eighteen months ago I brought my B33 up from Charleston, SC to Wilmington, NC.. a 170 nm trip. I have some notes and a listing of the bridges, landmarks, etc on that stretch of the ICW.. we did not go outside.. we did the trip in mid December and did not want to be offshore if something broke down. If you want any of this info let me know and I will email it to you.

I would suggest you search for info online near when you plan to depart, since the Army Corps of Engineers has stopped most of it's maintenance work, and the supposedly 12' minimum depth has been apparently forgotten.. some places are reported to be 5-6 feet now. Folly Beach Inlet and Carolina Beach Inlet (1/2 mile from my house) are especially problematical.

Drop me an email note with a phone number and I will call you.. We have lots of room for boating buddies, and I think I will be able to find an empty slip for you.

IRGuy@aol.com
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for the replies. The boat will do an easy 30 knot cruise, so she's pretty fast. Anybody ever run down Pamilco from Oregon Inlet to where you hit the ICW to run down to Morehead and out? We didn't run Pamlico, and depending on weather, that looks like it may be a good way to go. Unfortunately, this'll also be a git r done trip.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

IRGuys right on.
Lots of skinny water.
Luckily it's mostly sand and mud.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

I don't know about the whole run but Okracoke to Adam's Creek (where the "ditch" runs down to MHC is OK as long as you stay in the channel. I suspect that the other part in the Pamlico is OK.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
Weather right you can run either way. If there is a lot of traffic in the ditch from Norfolk or you miss time the bridges it will take you longer. But running outside can either be nice or s***. The run down the sound from OI to adams creek is some what easy. There is some old ships(bombing area still used today just w/lasers) in the target ship area around long shoal in the Pamlico sound but once past long shoal its a strait shot to Adams creek(ICW). But the sound is 6-20' and with the wrong wind can get very nasty.
The realy bad part is running in OI to oldhouse channel out into the Pamlico. Once there not bad but if you get the wrong wind long day.
Give me a call if you have any questions. (c)252-256-1631
1976 FBC
3208 NA