Corrosion X applicator...?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Corrosion X applicator...?

Post by IRGuy »

I have recently purchased some Corrosion X in bulk from Uncle Vic..

I read somewhere (can't remember where.. at my age I have CRS!) a while back that mixed 50/50 with lacquer thinner this makes a great protective coating for the exterior surfaces of engines. I have two questions for those of you who are using this material...

1 - I am very concerned that using lacquer thinner or any other highly flammable material in an enclosed space such as an engine room is a serious fire hazard, even with bilge blowers or other fans operating. Does anyone use another, less dangerous solvent for this application?

2 - Does anyone have any recommendations on a sprayer for this application? I have considered buying one of those devices which you load with a liquid and then pressurize with compressed air.. but what other options are there?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Lacquer thinner is not as volitle as you might believe and evaporates pretty fast. A 50:50 mix of it with CX is no more of a hazard than using an aerosol can of CX itself...

The Prevail cartrige sprayers would be my choice. The contents jar is glass and impervious to all liquids except hydrofloric acid. You should be able to find them at most marine supply stores.

Br,

Patrick
Trey Dibrell

Post by Trey Dibrell »

Since I'm the one that sort of invented the 50/50 mix of CX, I'll chim in here. I use a plain ole trigger spray bottle. It has markings on it that make the mixing a snap, and it will keep until you use it up. I have some mixed up in the trigger bottle that has been in there for at least a year with no problems. Just be sure to shake it well before each use as the CX tends to settle out, which you can see in the bottle.

I find that I use the 50/50 mix more than anything else. It is perfect for your engines, rods and reels, guns etc. The only time I use the straight bulk CX is when I'm using it for lubrication more than rust/corrosion protection.

Da Judge
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thank you both.. Good info!

I always thought lacquer thinner was one of the more flammable materials in my shop.. I suppose because of it's smell and the fact that it evaporates so quickly.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!