Q: Re: Cam for Cummins B210 water pump

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Q: Re: Cam for Cummins B210 water pump

Post by STeveZ »

I rec'd all the parts to rebuild my water pumps and I seem to recall reading something somewhere about "working" the new cam a little before installation (rounding off the sharp edges a little?). Does this sound familiar to anybody or did I just imagine it?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Steve - on the 15000 series Sherwood pumps the cam is harder brass than the body, so the bore wears a little faster than the cam does. The result is that after about 500+ hours the edges of the cam "stick up" above the bore and create a razor edge that shreds the impellers.....you can get some added hours out of the cam & pump by removing the cam and filing the edges down to mate again with the bore.....Bruce taught me this at a UVI once. The real solution is to replace the cam and stainless wear plate with Tony Athen's aftermarket ones that are much higher quality. I don't think Tony is making the whole 15000 series pump yet, but he is making the 17000 series under the trade name "SeaMax".

Remember your finger can feel a thousandth of an inch real easy, so just run your finger around the bore after the cam is installed, and if you feel a ridge where the cam edge meets the bore, file it down to where you can't feel the joint.

UV
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

10-4, thanks UV! :)