WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THIS?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harv

WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THIS?

Post by Harv »

Yesterday, I went up to my mom's place to look for something in my old closet. Someone from another board asked if I had pictures of my street ride. I knew there were pictures in a box on the top shelf of my old closet so I went and brought the box home. Well I only found 3 pictures of my car, but did have a whole box loaded with other pictures and magazines. Most of the magazines were from 1980 or 81, and all but one were either Car Craft, Hot Rod or Street Rod magazines. The one magazine that had nothing to do with cars........well check it out below...

Harv
Buju

Post by Buju »

I think if it was me at the helm, I'd have to 'jettison' the guy in the yellow shirt :-D
Harv

Post by Harv »

Buju,
besides the obvious. Look at the date. That magazine is 28 years old.
While I have had access to boats all my life, I only got my Bertram 5 years ago. Also, I was 22 at that time and didn't even think I would have my own boat. But the point is, only one magazine out of about 50 or 60 magazines, that didn't pertain to cars, and look what is on the cover.
Go figure. I mean, what are the odds??? The only magazine about boats, and there's a Bertram 31 on the cover, and 28 years later, I own a 31 myself.
Harv
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

You'd think with all those people on board they could've stowed the bow line properly, rather than just tying it off.

Harv,

The 31 must've been stuck in your sub-conscious way back when.
Regards,

Doug L.
Face

Post by Face »

Subconscious interest in B31's since you were 22 and didn't "know" it yet?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

You'd think with all those people on board they could've stowed the bow line properly, rather than just tying it off.
Doug,

I fully think that the operator did this setup with full intention & good fore thought... Ether he is intending to pass the bow line off to a dock attendant after the photo shoot, or there it might be a short anchor rode with an attached anchor. Either way, the manuever can be made with someone going forward.

I've, on several occassions, done this exact setup...

Br,

Patrick
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Pat,

I hear you. I just don't care for how it looks. Not very yacht like. I'm pretty picky about stuff like that.
Regards,

Doug L.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Doug,

What you're seeing here is from an airel shot. From the water you'd never even see the setup. Not like an "Irish Pennant" with a bumper hanging over, a line dragging, or the bow line just heaped on the foredeck.

I agree that poor seamanship is unsightly. But what I see here is acceptable, at least to me, with the line lead for function, taught, & cleated.

Now the one nit pick I have with this shot is that the guy is running with his cabin door open...

Br,

Patrick
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I think the forward deckhouse windshield should be removed and glassed in, the anchor light wedge removed the venturi deleted the helm removed and raised to a pod type. Get rid of the air scoops, bowrail, flags, spring line toe rippers, cockpit panels, horns, handrails, that plastic looking VHF mount, aluminum rubrail and both the dudes.

But hey thats just me.
Probably spend 120k real fast on that boat today.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harv

Consider your self lucky, if your mom was like mine, god rest her soul, all my pictures and magazines would have been long gone. Tony
Buju

Post by Buju »

Respectfully disagree that it's not an aerial shot... I think they're riding REAL close to a much larger vessel's transom, and the shot was taken off the bridge, or elevated deck of the larger boat... Sure is an awful lot of disturbed water in front of the boat, and to both the port and starboard...Seems like a bit of diesel emissions on their port bow as well... they're in someones wake
But for all practical purposes, and the point that was being made... yes, the aerial vantage point is the only reason you can see the bowline.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Foget about the nit picks.... I get it Harv, It is like it was destiny that someday you would own a 31. Very cool in a sort of "Twilight Zone" kinda way.

Sometimes the world throws a few of those odd coincidences at you in a
way that makes you scratch your head.

You ought to frame tha baby and put it aboard someplace...it makes a great story. I can hear it starting now..... A lovely evening after a nice day fishing, the sun just going down, the cocktails coming out and a guest asks "So how did you decide to buy an old Bertram" And you begin;

"Well I thought the decision was an act of my free will....."

Peter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Peter wrote:Foget about the nit picks.... I get it Harv, It is like it was destiny that someday you would own a 31. Very cool in a sort of "Twilight Zone" kinda way.

Sometimes the world throws a few of those odd coincidences at you in a
way that makes you scratch your head.

You ought to frame tha baby and put it aboard someplace...it makes a great story. I can hear it starting now..... A lovely evening after a nice day fishing, the sun just going down, the cocktails coming out and a guest asks "So how did you decide to buy an old Bertram" And you begin;

"Well I thought the decision was an act of my free will....."

Peter
Peter,
Doug,
Face,

Thank you for noticing the intent of the thread.
Yes, it is obvious that the rope wasn't stowed away, and the boat is in the wake of another boat that's blowing diesel exhaust on the port bow, or the cabin door is open while under way.

My intent was exactly like Peter said about the "Twilight Zone" effect.
When I went through the magazines and saw only one non car magazine, and that one magazine had a 31 Bertram on the cover, I immediately got goosebumps. When I was finished checking the box, I just kinda sat there scratching my head like .....who would have thought it?
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Tony Meola wrote:Harv

Consider your self lucky, if your mom was like mine, god rest her soul, all my pictures and magazines would have been long gone. Tony
Tony,

She did that with my comics and baseball card collections.
Looking back on what I had, I could have probably cashed it in to cover the cost of my diesel conversion,
with enough left over to cover diesel fuel for the first year.
Harv
randall

Post by randall »

as long as were in the twilight zone...this was the cover of the local paper on our third anniversary.......the day my son jesse was born. BTW they probably left the cabin door open to get a little light in so the front windshield had a little depth....or it was a lucky accident (photographicly speaking

jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

That big box under the port windshield looks suspiciously like a Loran A.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Damn! I'm pretty sure that 's my boat and I had a loran A right there! Is this the Twilight Zone? Walter
randall

Post by randall »

dark hull..this is rod serling...........................................
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Harv wrote:Buju,
besides the obvious. Look at the date. That magazine is 28 years old.
While I have had access to boats all my life, I only got my Bertram 5 years ago. Also, I was 22 at that time and didn't even think I would have my own boat. But the point is, only one magazine out of about 50 or 60 magazines, that didn't pertain to cars, and look what is on the cover.
Go figure. I mean, what are the odds??? The only magazine about boats, and there's a Bertram 31 on the cover, and 28 years later, I own a 31 myself.
Where attention goes, energy flows.

I wonder how long you looked at that cover photo 28 yeasr ago
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Walter

If that is your boat, then between you and Harv, I would start to get worried. Its like your life is flashing before you. Tony
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Tony- It is my boat as it is our local paper. I have that skinny antenna right there, and back then there was a Loran A placed right where it is on the picture. You're right though, and at my age you worry enough about getting old without spooky things happening. Happy Easter! Walter
randall

Post by randall »

thats pretty amazing. i saved the paper and didnt look at it for 20 odd years. then i only found it again when i was going through old stuff. needless to say i was surprised to see a bertram on the cover...now im really surprised
Harv

Post by Harv »

Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Walter & Harv

I know the feeling. Had 4 old, old friends pop back up into my life in the last 3 days. Really strange since one I haven't seen since High School and weirdly enough his wife who I knew before him, but haven't seen in about 25 years, just before they got married.

Walter is right, as you get older you start thinking about those kind of things. Tony
randall

Post by randall »

the twilight zone continues....there were three people i needed to talk to before i leave on wednesday for my annual snowboard trip. i realized it was easter sunday and there was no food in the house so i went to the little country market about a mile away. person number one was just coming out so i took care of that in the parking lot. once inside person number two is at the counter...cross him off the list. while waiting for my order........person number three walks in...................roll theme form the twilight zone....it would be nice if life was always like this.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Here's another addition from the twilight zone.
Christmas eve, I had a tire failure that damaged my brand new running board and the fender behind the left rear wheel. While getting estimates, the store that did the running boards recommended his collision shop. After waiting 2 days for the estimate, I got the impression it was going to be higher than I expected and I told him, the van is 12 years old. The damaged area is going to be behind the new running board, could he just pull the fender without having to remove striping and redo the paint. In short he told me no way, the Van shop could do it while installing the new board. The van shop said they couldn't pull the fender either. So last week, I go to a body shop that had done a nice job on my mother's car not too long ago. Long story short, the body shop that did my mother's car is owned by 2 guys that I went to public school with 40 years ago. They pulled the fender for me right there on the spot.....no charge.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ok, now this is getting too weird. What's next? Tony