Familly fishing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

Familly fishing

Post by Hueso »

8 to 10 miles off the NorthEast Shore of Puerto Rico.........this was last Saturday.......nephew, brother, brother in law........there is nothing like family fishing......4 skip jacks and a big dorado female.......Tony enjoy!

randall

Post by randall »

NICE!!....thats what boats are for
Face

female dolphin

Post by Face »

Excuse my ignorance as I have very little offshore fishing experience (but tons of Chesapeake experience). Are most large Dorado females? Can you tell the sex externally, without cleaning them?
-Joe
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

How can you tell the sex? By the head........males are called "bulls" because of their square heads......females have slant heads......usually males grow bigger and stronger than females......however, it seems like there are more females than males out there
Face

Post by Face »

Gracias Hueso. Duh...bulls. Didn't know about the shape of the head. Does the "rule" that males generally grow bigger and stronger apply to most pelagics? This seems to be the opposite of striped bass (obviously much different families/fish). Most all really large stripers (rockfish here) are females. In my experience I've seen very few male stripers over 40".
-Joe
Face

Post by Face »

Great thread and pics by the way. Short and sweet but thats the best part of boating and fishing, enjoying it with family.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

I'm not to sure about that one.....but I believe it is that way.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Huesso

Really nice. Family, that's what it is all about. Best memories I have is growing up and gowing fishing with my father. Enjoy Huesso.

Tony
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

in the mako shark species the female far exceeds the male in size and weight.every fish in the marlin family(black,striped,blue) all follow with the female capable of much larger size.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob is right-The same goes for Striped bass too. The Dolphin however seems to be the reverse. It is one of the fastest growing species, though. Walter
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Dolfin are the fastest growing fish in the sea and are really baitfish.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Brew........but they taste great!.....how do you prepare and cook them?....I for instance throw in a bit of salt and pepper, butter and a very small amount of oil in a skillet pan
Last edited by Hueso on Mar 19th, '08, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dolphin are only baitfish if you use them as bait...to me dolphin is dinnerfare.

Kind of like when a guy by me said he was catching small lobsters for Striper bait... BS on that, I catch lobster... I eat lobster.

But I do understand the baitfish thing...
Brewster Minton

I love to eat them too. Just the proper classification is baitfish because everything eats them. I like to cover mine in sourcream and broil.
randall

Post by randall »

mahi fingers!!!!.......is it 4 oclock
Buju

Post by Buju »

blackened...then put on a ceaser salad.
or on a toasted onion roll with a little lettuce, red onion, and a bit of aioli.
randall

Post by randall »

just curious...after the chicken dolphin stage they are pretty frisky. its hard to imagine that they are easy prey for anything but the largest predators. i can see sharks ...but what else would eat one?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tuna! wahoo!
Face

Post by Face »

Three questions....Okay, so how about the sex vs. size of different tuna?

Secondly, do any of you guys use dolphin for bait? Bailer size? Seems to me it would be a great swordfish bait. Again, my offshore fishing experience is limited.

Lastly, has anyone used small lobsters for striper bait? I know they will eat hard crabs, but there are much better baits/methods than that. If anyone on here is interested in fishing the Chesapeake, methods, etc, I'm willing to help and an experienced mate.
Buju

Post by Buju »

This dolphin was a schoolie size, I guess about 25 to 30"... This little Blue was real fond of him.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Uncle Vic wrangles a good size male mahi (that I caught...) at UVI II

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Big marlin, big eyes, big bluefin, big yellowfin, wahoo, makos, tigersharks all will eat them. A 700# blue marlin eats 20# mahi like peanut M&Ms.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

When you see mahi jumping horz. to the water they are chasing flying fish...when they jump like a rainbow a marlin is on their ass....
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

[quote="mike ohlstein"]Uncle Vic wrangles a good size male mahi (that I caught...) at UVI II

....finally I get to see Uncle Vic's silver Penn Internationals.......nice!

to good to give it to marlins............we used to use small to medium size Tarpoon and Robalo to fish Marlin........In a kind of funny/serious note, I've been thinking of rigging a live "iguana gallina de palo" (which have become a pest in Puerto Rico)......I know it will be a killer for shark fishing......just think of that long tail swirling around 15 miles from shore.....if the iguana survives (as they can swim)...then I will bring her back into the wild....
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Face:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_fish

basic info about dorados
Buju

Post by Buju »

Hueso,

Funny that you would rather use Robalo for bait than Dolphin. I think Robalo (Snook) are a far better tasting fish than Dolphin... I mean, Dolphin is OK, but Snook is right up there with Tripletail and Hogfish in my book...

You guys still use Bonefish as Marlin bait down there, or is that becoming frowned upon?

We've got an exploding Green Iguana population here as well... Kevin, what's the FWC's current stance on Iguana's- invasived feral pest? Shoot to kill? They sure have been causing some landscaping nightmares, eating everyones hibiscus, etc..
randall

Post by randall »

long as were on the subject...heres a cool lookin puppy caught in panama

Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Buju:

Bonefish to difficult to catch, why bother.....the problem with Robalo is where you catch them....usually polluted or in the process of....therefore, I tried to avoid them........I read in some magazine that Capt. Barta tried a salami to catch some Tuna and he did.......is pretty amazing what people can use to fish
Last edited by Hueso on Mar 19th, '08, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Randall....nice bull...............no ice? what a shame......Brew may scold you later on.......
Face

Post by Face »

Thanks for the info. Hueso and others. I know I can read about this elsewhere but this board is much more interesting than wiki,etc. On the topic of strange baits...a captain friend of mine out of Wanchese, NC caught an amberjack on a chicken wing (so he claims). I think just about anything would work for bait (for ambers) when they first start showing up at the towers and wrecks. After a few days of pressure, artificials go from just fine to we need some live bluefish.
randall

Post by randall »

mahi dont make it back to the dock intact....30 seconds after this was shot the mate started carving em up on the transom.....of course as luck would have it we hit a double sail hook up and in the captains enthusiasm backing up i got most of the inside of this fish splayed across my outside.....but i didnt care as we got em both....fillets in the cooler a minute late

interesting bait

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harv

Post by Harv »

randall wrote:long as were on the subject...heres a cool lookin puppy caught in panama

What, that's not wood?
It looks almost as realistic as your carvings.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have to say, now that is a cool reel. Who did the work on those reels? Tony
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Tony - Tom Testa who started Reel Colors in Mass. years ago....Tom was a machinist with one of the aerospace outfits and was doing reels on the side. I had 7 or 8 old 80Ws that were near basket cases and saw an article about Tom in some mag....called him and he was just getting started. Quoted me $150 a reel to totally re-machine them, strip the original gold and re-anodize them platinum. So I sent the reels up to him and he was almost done and called me, "UV, you want these reels engraved?" "Huh, you can do that?" Yep he can, so this was pre-email so I drew the sketch of the sie plate and faxed it to him. He said he would put it in the computer cutting machine and send me a fax of how it came out.....well, back in my working days I was on the road for a week, get back to the office and there is this fax of the side plate engraving layout.....looked great until I looked closer...he had spelled Another Joy "Aother Joy"....Holy Crap!!! I called him and he answered on his cell phone pulling into the parking lot of the place that was gonna cut the engraving and anodize them with my reels in the back of his truck.....got it fixed in the nick of time. Still have his fax of the faux pas taped to my office door along with a number of unrelated other screw ups, both legal and boating. People at my office call it the "Door of Shame".

Tom does fantastic work, his web site is www.reelcolors.com but he's way more than cosmetics. He took my old 80Ws down to the frames, machined out all the corrosion pits, took the tolerances dwon to 1/10,000 ths, you can see in the Prof's pix that he "releived" the countersink holes where the side plate screws go, a big deal to keep salt from building up around the heads of the screws. The reels came back to me 10 times better than new. He also makes some really nice flex handles for reels. I later sent him a 12/0 Finor that someone had anodized a crappy red and he took it down and did the platinum on it too, plus a custom "Another Joy" side plate. Tom says in his view the Internationals are way better than the Finors, mine was the first he had worked over...says all the parts are pretty much hand made, a pain to duplicate.

I'm real proud of them. A very good alternative to throwing out good but shabby reels and buying new. Plus, keep CX on them and the roller guides of your rods and they will last a few lifetimes.

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

I have two old 50 and two old 30's that I have debated about having him do. I was talked out of it by a friend who said, if something goes wrong, who is going to work on them for you. So I never did it. Maybe one diay I will give him a call. Really cool I like them. Tony
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I was talked out of it by a friend who said, if something goes wrong, who is going to work on them for you.
Tony,

Your friend needs a reality check... The reels would be just as serviceable as if they were factory rebuilt. If Tom did the work, they'd be better than factory rebuilt. Besides, Penn reels are dead simple to service & proper care and routine maintenance will pretty much keep them bullet proof.

Br,

Patrick
Buju

Post by Buju »

Hueso,
Sad about the inshore lagoons being that polluted. Are there good numbers of fish in there anyways, plenty of sabalo & robalo? Oh, and bonefish aren't any harder to catch than any other species, all you've got to do is get your hook into their mouth :)

Randall,
Love the Coca-Cola chugger. You come up with that one?

UV,
Very cool Internationals. And the personalization makes it difficult for them to disappear, and show up in a local flea market a few weeks later like several of my Shimano Calcutta 400's did several months back... bastards. If I would have kept track of the serial#'s, I could have got 'em back.. but I'm not that organized, or intelligent.
What does everyone think of Avet reels? THinking about picking a few of the smaller models up when I'm able to afford my next real reel purchase. Pro's / con's ?
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Buju:

Lots of sabalo and robalo year round.

Randall:

You have found out a way to recycle.

UV:

Nice work on those reels.

Faitful:

I'm looking for old Penn International 30's........anyone selling?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Buju- Nice Bonefish on a nice reel! Used a Billy Pate Marlin and an International #4 on 14-15 wt fly rods to catch Pacific Sailfish in Guatemala this February. If you like fly fishing, it's an incredible experience to cast to, hook, fight and land a 100+ Sail. Almost a no-brainer when the fish is teased to the stern of the boat! Rarely a refusal and they take it going away like a freight train! Walter
randall

Post by randall »

no...cut and paste job....but i thought it was pretty cool
Buju

Post by Buju »

Randall,
Damn photoshop.... I'm sure it'd work though, concave area on the bottom of the bottle would give off a nice bubble trail.

Walter,
Thanks. I've found some incredible bonefish flats right in my 'backyard' here in Key Largo. I regularly take my 16' canoe out, and stand on top of the gunnels (on that teak the fish is on in the pic) and pole the canoe with an old broken pushpole from my flats skiff... Not uncommon to have several schools with 50 to 80 fish per school come through, all in the 6 to 10 lb range. But it still aint easy by any means. My best has been two in one morning.
Sails on fly... whole different story. I've done it here in the keys with my heavy tarpon rod (13wt)... just like you said. Get 'em fired up on the teaser ( live teasers here ) pull the teaser, and give 'em the fly, and hold on! Gets pretty exciting. Haven't actually landed one, but I've hooked up twice. Takes alotta teamwork, well choreographed teamwork.
randall

Post by randall »

oh...the shots real.....i just lifted it from another forum
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat

Maybe next year. With this repower, the money is just flying out the door. Ouch. Tony