36 Bertram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CHolgerson

36 Bertram

Post by CHolgerson »

One of my fishing friends is interested in a 36 bertram with twin 370 volvo diesels. Does anybody have any experience with the ride and overall construction of the 36 flybridge? Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The construction is OK finish is questionable.
Here are the issues I've come across we won't talk looks its always been Blondes vs. Brunettes (skinny of course).

These are constructive points not meant to bash but just one guys notes of caution:
Gelcoat is thin in quite a few spots and after a few years its gone leaving a pretty yellow line.
The patch yellowing that was seen in early boats is said to have been taken care of with a new gelcoat supplier. The newer boats do look better
Hull delam has been apparent and repaired on at least one large boat I've seen, not just one spot but several above the waterline all the way around, who knows whats goin on underneath.
I'm told the ride is quite good on the 36, but I'm also told a Sea Ray rides OK.
Unless they are giving the boat away look at some of the other models really hard, if its a sport fishing boat check out Cabo and some of the other open boat guys you may be surprised. Dig around the guts of the boat, the cabin isn't everything. The bottom line is will the dealer be able to service the product in the Northeast there is not a good dealer/factory service network for these boats.

Best of Luck to your buddy
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I think he's talking about a used boat since they haven't made FB 36's since the mid to late 90's. Therefore, dealer suppport is not really an issue.
Regards,

Doug L.
Bandit

36 Bertram

Post by Bandit »

Two points:

1)Hate to burst your friends bubble, but the 36 Flybridge was not one of Bertram's better models. The boat struggles to move with the 450 Cummins/470 Volvos, providing a sluggisg cruise of 22-23 knots. The manufacturers quality was not the best during that period, I know of a 1996 36 Moppie that had severe delamination in several spots, and a 4' x 4' area void of any core material, just the very thin glass skin, this was on the port side mid-ship, just above the waterline. Bertram will not answer any questions you may have regarding this vintage. Also, the engine room access is awful on this boat(flybridge). In order to change oil filters, exhaust elbows need to be removed (no remote filters installed at factory). The actual flybridge is constructed of plywood with skin coats of fiberglass. The front and side windows leak, resulting in stained woodwork. The boat doesn't want to run straight. On the other hand, it is a pretty boat.

2)JP Dalik:

Are you referring to the new 360? How could they possibly have delamination already? Not good if that is the case.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bandit
No not the 360, its just ugly...The new style big boats is were I've seen the issue.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

I have sold a couple of these boats and I mostly agree with the comments made. Boat is a decent sea boat, better than the early 35 Cabo. Coring is a problem on some. Engine access is a problem, but seen worse ala early Blackfins.
Would not touch any Volvo if it has the EMD electronic monitors, we have three boats here with them and they are electronic nightmares. It took us four months to get a electronic part from Volvo Sweden. Part not available in the US. They make not all parts but some as needed.
I sold a 36 FB with 450 Cummins and thats the way to buy one of these, boat stepped out cruising 26 knots and noticiably quieter than the Volvos.

Keep Smilin