Non boating question for Harv

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Non boating question for Harv

Post by Tony Meola »

Harv

Giving your background with trucking I am hoping you can answer a question about NY laws regarding trucks. I have a Ford Ranger Pick Up with non commercial plates. I was trying to figure out if I fall into the truck catagory when driving in New York. I am looking to go on the Henry Hudson & Mosholu Pkw.

I read the NY regulations and it looks like I can go on all of the highways and roads without restrictions, but just when I thought I understood the regulations, I find something that makes me think maybe not.

Thanks for any input you might have. Tony
Harv

Post by Harv »

Tony,

Pickups, with non commercial plates can travel the same roads as cars, as long as the pickup bed is covered. What did you see that made you skeptical?

One other thing....make sure the shotgun rack is not visible in the rear window...LOL!
Harv
randall

Post by randall »

my new tacoma has regular plates and i was told i could drive it anywhere..
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harv & Randall

Thanks. I was on the NY DOT website and the wording was not really clear. It kept bringing up trucks with two axels, unless they mean two rear axels. Well, I have never seen a truck or a car with less than two axels but then again, lets think about who writes these regs.

I have a tonoue cover so then I should be fine.

Tony
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ok, that then begs the question, why must you have a cover over the bed? To hide the bodies? If you've got to cover the bed at all times, I don't see the purpose. Besides, how the heck are the crushed beer cans and styrofoam go cups supposed to fly out?
Viva la Presidente!
randall

Post by randall »

i think thats the old regs....it went from never, to covered bed,(camper) to anything goes as long as you dont have commercial plates or signage on the truck. at one time all pick-ups had to have commercial plates.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I used to travel a lot between Boston and NC while I was having our house built. When I was driving a car I used to bypass NYC by using the Saw Mill River Parkway. When I transitioned to a pickup truck (with an open bed) I noticed the signs at the entrances all say "Passenger autos only". I took that to mean no trucks, including pickups.
randall

Post by randall »

not anymore.....its all about plates......i just drove my pick up upstate and took parkways .....no prob
Carl

Post by Carl »

The law was Covered bed, which the Tonoue would have been fine.

Then the law went to you needed a cap or hard cover and a Tonoue cover would not surfice.

Now as long as you do not have commercail plates and under a certain weight you are fine without a cover of any type.

I know about the first two as I have recieved tickets for both.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ok, now you guys see the confusion. If you do some searching on the NY DOT site, the regs say nothing about covers. Its confusing. I will go with Harv and Randall and just gamble. Hey, I live in NJ what do I know about NY Regs. Some SU&V's weigh more empty, than my Ranger weighs with the bed loaded.

I know in NJ the big Suburbans are overweight for certain highways but the State Police ignore it since the law is so confusing. Just don't tell John Corzine or he will have them start giving out tickets so he can get the revenue.

Tony
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Type of registration is the controlling factor. If you have passenger car plates on the pick-up you can use any of the parkways in NYS. Cover over the bed is no longer required.
clay

Post by clay »

I was going to go quail hunting in NY but now I am afraid to drive my truck there, does anyone know if there are seat belt requirements for bumper mounted shooting seats?
In Texas they are not required unless you are on a designated interstate and the shooters guns are loaded, I had them installed after getting a warning ticket(who knew). The state trooper also said that even when traveling on state highways persons sitting on the bumper extension should be wearing seat belts even though the law only requires that the guns safety be on.
After reading all the Posts, it sounds like you guys up north have to put up with as many laws as we do.

Just Kidding - In Texas all passangers (no matter where they are sitting)must have a seat belt on when traveling on all public roads. I know that sounds crazy but its the law.

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

clay
that set up would be ok in new york city only, let me know how you make out.