Air horn recommendations...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Air horn recommendations...

Post by Rickysa »

The OEM electric horns (AFI) on our runabout have crapped out...don't want to use the same brand due to rust issues...

Any recommendations? Electric or air.....a Kahlenberg would be nice, but at $700 for the smallest is a bit steep :wink:

Thanks,

Rick
Harv

Post by Harv »

I just recently picked up a deep sounding single trumpet air horn for the land yacht. It has a small compressor and works just fine. Sounds like a Big Rig air horn. Total cost installed in the van was about $250, the unit alone about $175. When I get my boat back in the water, I think I will be changing the existing horn for one of these also. Can probably be found at Strauss, Pep Boys, Auto zone, etc. I picked mine up at a van customizing center.
Harv
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I was replacing my AFI horns every two years due to rusted out guts. Installed an Ongaro dual trumpet all stainless steel including the guts and it has lasted about five years now. www.ongaromarine.com/horns.htm About $200.00
Eddy G.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Harv and Eddy, thanks...

I happened across the Ongaros last nite for the first time while flipping thru a marine catalogue...I think I'll go with those since they claim all SS.

Rick
Dug

Post by Dug »

Harv,

I have air horns on the Touareg. They are mounted behind the grill and sound like an Amtrak train.

I love them.

Nothing like waking up an idiot to put a grin on one's face...

Very effective. My friends tell me not to honk it when I drive in NYC. They tell me I will get a ticket...

D
Harv

Post by Harv »

Dug wrote:Harv,

I have air horns on the Touareg. They are mounted behind the grill and sound like an Amtrak train.

I love them.

Nothing like waking up an idiot to put a grin on one's face...

Very effective. D
Sounds just like what I have. I had mine mounted transversly along the front bumper. The trumpet alone is over 2 ft long. They even had to drill 2 holes through the front plastic dam to run the air tubing. It does sound sweet though.
My friends tell me not to honk it when I drive in NYC. They tell me I will get a ticket...
If you get stopped just tell the cop it was from a passing truck. I think they would be hard pressed to find my horn if they looked for it.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

[If you get stopped just tell the cop it was from a passing truck. I think they would be hard pressed to find my horn if they looked for it.]

Harv

They don't need to look for it, they just need to tell you to blow the horn
randall

Post by randall »

good point. on the other end of the spectrum my old british sports car didnt have a horn. every year at the inspection i would press the button and make a loud horn noise....always passed....gotta love small towns.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have mine mounted in a down position now. Water would fill them on rough days and the water would start to go into the hose.
Dug

Post by Dug »

They have been doing a lot of construction around one of our shops. ONe day the lights were down at the far end of the busy road.

The cop was suiting up, but there was a dimwitted driver up at the intersection. I gave it a good honk to urge them along. I think the cop wet himself, as he was looking the other way.

Though it was not intended to rile him, it was really funny. I just stared straight ahead like all the others. Just another car in line.

And the dimwit got the message and moved along...

Thank god for small pleasures...

Dug
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

You need to install a toggle switch so that you can select between it and the OEM horn! Now that could be funny!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harv

Post by Harv »

Rawleigh wrote:You need to install a toggle switch so that you can select between it and the OEM horn! Now that could be funny!!
I have mine on 2 seperate switches. I can use either horn or both together. Now that's a blast. I like the look on my own passenger's faces when they hear my horn for the first time. WooHoo!!!
Harv