Back from paradise, drat!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Back from paradise, drat!

Post by Mikey »

Just back from our annual foray to Tortola (someone has to do business there) and saw a few interesting items. The first is what I assume is a 26. A recent post on power in these guys prompted the pic. Don't know anything else about it since it was in a private compound.
This 31 is in a junk yard slowly sinking into the sunset. Very sad. Been passing her for years and trying to get to the owner to ask about her fate but no one is ever there. This year there were actually people there, but they were painting something with an epoxy paint behind a drop cloth right next to the 31. There were two guys working right next to the cloth committing suicide in the paint-thick air. Decided I didn't need to get any closer than I was so still have no idea of the fate of this derelict. Probably can be bought cheap, judging by the condition and lack of attention for years.
This boat is About Time, a charter owned by infrequent visitor to the site, Frank (say hi to Patrick) Griffin. He is restoring this express and chartering out of St Thomas. Love the soft top. Frank has Yannie four bangers and they push her along quite well. We saw About Time from a restaurant and while waiting (forever) for lunch we walked down, met Frank and had a quick ride to see how well she ran with the newly cleaned bottom. Whole thing took about twenty minutes and still no lunch. If you want to fish in St. Thomas he's the man. He is less than his competitors since his fuel consumption is a lot less than the others. Also, there may be a Faithful discount. Contact at frgriff@hotmail.com.
Damn, it's cold here! Why did I come back? Oh, yea, Dreamsicle launches sooooooon.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: I've seen the outboard powered one at the "Willie T" before!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Nice shots Mikey,

OK so which one of you guy's is headed down there with the intent of grabbing that bow chock off the 31?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Watch out for the dog!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Buju

Post by Buju »

Nice Express...
Mikey, any idea what the boat directly behind the express is? Interesting lookin.

The derelict 31 reminds me of a lot in Nassau where there are three 31's sitting around with crap all piled up on 'em. I'm sure if one was to talk to the right person, they could be had for a couple bags of conch and lobster, and maybe a couple of gallons of paint or something ridiculous... put 'em on a island freighter and ship 'em back stateside.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Buju,
Sorry, Myopic Mikey didn't notice another boat until you pointed it out.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein