Autopilot

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

paolo

Autopilot

Post by paolo »

I would like to install an Autopilot on my B31, twin 350 Gas, Hydraulic helm, cockpit only on Fly. Any suggestion in Raymarine range? Any different brand to suggest?
Thanks in advance.
Paolo, Milano, Italy
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

We've always had Robertsons, never a problem.
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Simrad AP16 on my B28, works great.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If I am not mistaken, Robertson was bought by Simrad. The AP-16 is an excellent unit. Autopilots aren't cheap, but once you get one, you wonder how you lived without it. Walter
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

I have the same unit as Walter. It always works well.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I put a Si-Tex SP 70 on AJ about 15 years ago when pilots were real expensive and the SP 70 was a lot cheaper. Been real happy with it, Si Tex still makes it....very stable on the flux gate compass, and it will interface with some plotters, but shoot, clicking the port/stb button now and then to keep it on the track line keeps you awake. I can attest that it lasts, and yep, it all gets shot with a lot of CX, maybe that's why it's lasted so well......used it yesterday for the first time in months, winter has been hell in coonassland, cold, rain, very few shorts & t shirt days this winter....took AJ for a ride yesterday afternoon to wash her bottom, let the 6BTAs warm up for a half hour at 1200 rpm and put her on the step at 2000 rpm, let the temps come up, then pegged them.......2650 in a heartbeat, snap your neck. Gotta love diesels.

Making a list of what needs to be done on her for the UVI 8.5, and it's a big list...got room for some of you guys, gonna be fun.

UV
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Simrad
Carl

Post by Carl »

SP-70 here as well.
It was bought mostly for putting the lines out when trolling, purchased by my wife who was tired of hearing me yell "your crossing the lines, keep the boat straight" as the boat wandered off course and my wire lines came together.
The unit has worked real well for me and I think it was a great choice, I have it set up with two remotes on my Express, so I can make adjustments from the cockpit.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

simrod ap 22 very happy with it
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have the ap12. was told it could not handle my boat but has worked perfect for 14 years.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have the Raymarine unit on Alchemy, and think it is the bees knees.

For real, one of the best investments ever thought of in the history of boating.

I believe I have the 6500. Works flawlessly.

Dug
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

For the SiTex 70, is my steering ram/cylinder less than 18 cubic inches? Meaning, were you guys able to install with the basic pump, or did you have to go up to an upgraded bigger pump?

How does on measure the size for this 18 cubic inches thing?

Looking forward to the UVI 8.5.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I have an oversized HD Hynautic unit and was able to use the standard pump without a problem.
In Memory of Vicroy

Me too, the std. pump will handle you just fine. Mine worked fine with the tiny B28 style rudders and when I upgraded to Patrick's monster rudders I had to re-set the SP 70 to slow down the steering action.....takes about 20 seconds to re-set the steering rate....just don't lose the manual or you will be screwed since it's a sequence of pushing buttons.

Most autopilots, including the SP 70, have a rudder feedback device that tells the pilot black box the angle of the rudder. There are two types, the rotary that attaches to the top of the rudder stock and the linear that looks like a small hyd. ram that hooks to the steering tie bar. I used the linear since there is no room on top of the B28 style rudder stocks to attach the rotary.

UV
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Thanks. Sounds like there will be a SiTex 70 in my future.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Quick tip...

make sure your fittings are tight before bleeding the system -or- you pick a day that is not overly hot and humid... you may also not want to clean the boat real well before hand either.

I choose not to follow those tips and picked the hottest muggiest day of the season to do this job. I ran all the hoses then proceeded to give the boat a real good cleaning so it would dry out by the time I finished bleeding the system, and then I could secure the lines and put the deck back down. Long story short I followed the process of cranking the upper helm 20 rotations to the right the lower helm 20 to the right, then hit the autopilot and the hydraulic hose came flying out of a fitting whipping around spraying fluid everwhere. Second or two later I am dripping with sweat and hydraulic fluid. The boat looked like a murder scene..red fluid covered everything.
In Memory of Vicroy

I had something similar happen on AJ...the bleeder hose between the two ends of the ram was clear vinyl....the bonehead (not me) that bled the system after he installed the a/p left the two nipple vales open, so the system was running on some flimsy clear plastic hose....of course it bit the dust 30 miles offshore in rough seas, so I made it back to Port Eads on throttle and gears, no steering. Took a while to figure out and did not have enough hyd fluid to get up the river, so put Shell Rotella T 15w40 in it, worked fine, sorta stiff but worked.

I used the nylon hyd hose for the Sea Star install originally with 3/8 fittings, worked fine, just chafe-guard the hose everywhere with some slit rubber hose and wire ties. Real easy install, just "T" the steering hoses into the pump.

UV
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

TR-1 Its a Garmin product now.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John F.

Post by John F. »

I also think I'm going with the Sitex SP70. The bigger ram is only about another $150. UV and Sim mentioned that its not needed, but does it help at all? I'm mainly interested in keeping the boat in a straight line while I get lines out slow-trolling (2.5 knts). Thanks.