Question for Big Guys!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keysfishn

Question for Big Guys!!

Post by Keysfishn »

Hi guys,
I've been thinking about restoring a 31 Bertram for a few years now and I'm about ready to do it. I recently read a review on the 31 by marine surveyer Dave Pasco. He stated that the 31 was more suited for guys
5' 8'' 160 lb range. I'm 6' 1'' 215 lbs and I'd like to get some input from guys in my size range if they agree with Pasco. Thanks much..
Steve Washington
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Im 6 foot and 215#. My crew is all big boys 260 -280 6'4". It works for us
neil

Post by neil »

im 6/4 and the bahiamar works well
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pasco, another legend in his own mind.
randall

Post by randall »

i dont know...they seem pretty big to me.....what do you think patrick?
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I am 6'2" and owned a 28B. About the same headroom as the 31B. I have also spent a lot of time in 31B's and the cabin headroom and the v-birth length worked for me. Personally I favor the 35B. They have a real salon, not as wet in a headsea, no rock and roll of the 28B.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I'm 6'0" weigh 220 lbs, have had my B-31 Sportsfisherman for 30 years and as the length of time of my ownership attests, it's fine. Even a 35 or a 38 doesn't have the cockpit space of a 31 where most of our fishing time is spent. Height doesn't mean diddle on the bridge. If you're an at the dock cocktail entertainer and need a sofa and salon, then the 31 isn't for you. Walter
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I'm a senior citizen and have been for some time now. As you get older, the body tends to shrink. I'm no exception.
However when I wore younger mens' clothes, my boat was fine.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm 5'10" @ 245.............My 31 Express is just fine for me. My taller friends occasionally complain about the cabin ceiling..........If they complain to much I just don't invite them any more.

The boat stores that I visit have never measured anything but the size of a wallet in efforts of determining the size of boat that will best fit their customers.

Sounds like you have had an affection for the 31's for a while..........go for it.......YOUR GONNA LOVE IT

Harry
hb
Harv

Post by Harv »

randall wrote:i dont know...they seem pretty big to me.....what do you think patrick?
As big as me????
6 ft 1 in, 315 lbs
31 Bahia Mar works just fine for me,
and I've had no problems on the FBC either.
Harv
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I'm 5'11" 250lbs, my dad is 6' 315 lbs, never really been an issue. Have you been on a 31? If not, a very similar boat is the Blackfin 32. You should be fine.
randall

Post by randall »

Harv wrote: As big as me????
6 ft 1 in, 315 lbs
31 Bahia Mar works just fine for me,
and I've had no problems on the FBC either.

harv....i was sayin the B31 looked big to me ,not that i was big .....as anyone who ever met me will attest.....but i do weigh more than patrick.
Harv

Post by Harv »

randall wrote:
harv....i was sayin the B31 looked big to me ,not that i was big .....as anyone who ever met me will attest.....but i do weigh more than patrick.
randall,
i thought your were referring to the posts made by the beefy stewards like myself, saying that we have few problems with the size of the 31
Harv
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Harv wrote: randall,
i thought your were referring to the posts made by the beefy stewards like myself, saying that we have few problems with the size of the 31
I thought he was sharing just a little bit too much information......
randall

Post by randall »

hey....im not that big....ask any pretty girl in town
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you on to something randall,i recently saw sarrah jessica parker in you neck of the woods what going on and kelly ripin( sp?) just a little further east.they must be attracted to your bertram ,ha-ha.
Keysfishn

Big Guys

Post by Keysfishn »

Thanks for your inputs!!!
Steve Washington
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

6'0" 225. No problem.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. Mike Holmes

Cabin headroom

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I've had tall guys bump their heads in my cabin. The 28 actually has more headroom. I gave Gary Jordan a tour of Lil' Bert at Port Eads one year, and he had no problems inside. He'd have been stooped in a 31. But, like others have said, once on deck or the flybridge, no problem - and it's a fishing boat, after all.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Garry

Post by Garry »

I am 6'5" and once owned a 31 Bahia Mar that worked pretty well for me. The 31 FBC or SF should be fine for you at 6' 1". The great thing about 31s is the ease of access to all the essential ships systems. No crawling around in tight bilge space cause you can put your hand on almost anything you need to touch from thru the deck hatches.

Too Tall
Carl

Post by Carl »

For fishing and diving it's fine.
Weekending for a couple, not a problem.
Spending a week on her gets tight.
Ask another couple along for that week and now we are talking cozy at best.
Add a child and a dog to that and we be getting friendly.

I think David Pascoe is right on with his thoughts. The boat is great at what she does, best in her class for me. Having lavish accomodations and room is not one of her strong points. It's not the boat to have guests come by and then sit inside over a nice glass of wine and converse. It's more like you sit on the gunnels and BS kind of boat.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

You guys give a new meaning for wanting to install trim tabs...big ones at that.
ha ha.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Even a 35 or a 38 doesn't have the cockpit space of a 31 where most of our fishing time is spent.

I don't mean to rain on the "my cockpit is bigger than yours" parade, but the Bertram 33 Sportfish beats the 31 in cockpit size.

31 cockpit: 110 SF.

33 Sportfish cockpit: 122 SF.

And that number is for the 1986 and younger B33's... the earlier models have even larger cockpits, due to more forward bulkhead placement.

The only Bert that has more fishing real estate than the 33 Sportfish is the Bertram 54.

:)
randall

Post by randall »

i dont know....when i go on my friends 60 it might not have the square footage but the beam makes up for a lot.......its pretty roomy back there
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Actaully I only have data on the 28 thru 54.

So okay, you probably got me there.

Never paid any attention to boats that were obviously and forever above my pay grade, I guess
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It's not the boat to have guests come by and then sit inside over a nice glass of wine and converse.
Depends on the interior design. Refits like Buddy Boy with the dinette removed and a bench seat put in place with a more open cabin is very comfortable to casual conversation.

As far as a weeks stay boat, you put enough people in a 60 footer and your crowded also. Pasco's comments as quoted were limited to comfort based on people size not quantity and on that note he's full of crap.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Size matters

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Also depends on your needs and expectations. My son and I have stayed aboard my 31 for 2 weeks, my wife and I for a week a few times. Of course we lived in a cabover pickup camper in the driveway for 5 months while tornado damage was being repaired to our house.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

We stay on my B28 nearly every weekend and two weeks a summer. Occasionally have a second couple spend the night on the dinette berth. I've been on several B31's and the cabin is similar in size and layout. The large windows make the interior feel much roomier. Entertain mostly in the cockpit, but when the bugs get bad can easily seat four at the dinette, me standing at the galley and two others sitting at the vee berth.

Eddy G.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Depends on the interior design. Refits like Buddy Boy with the dinette removed and a bench seat put in place with a more open cabin is very comfortable to casual conversation.

As far as a weeks stay boat, you put enough people in a 60 footer and your crowded also. Pasco's comments as quoted were limited to comfort based on people size not quantity and on that note he's full of crap.
Standard interior is tight for a 31' boat. Big people make it tighter in short time, try to pass by someone without ducking into a corner. Pops 28' Hatteras has what seems like way more room in the cabin and he has a pretty good size cockpit as well. The head in our 31, if you have to get changed in there it's tight, real tight and I'm not that big at 5'8" and 190lbs.

I mentioned being crowded as you can make it work in the 31, tight or not. Besides you want to see crowded, try 6 adults and one child playing cards in the cabin, four and a half at the table and two in deck chairs. Tight as hell but we had a blast.
Harv

Post by Harv »

You wanna talk a tight cabin?
Try me, my dad, Yvonne, and John D., in the cabin of Crow's nest with Doug all by himself on the bridge. Now that's tight!!
Harv