Airmar transducers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Airmar transducers

Post by Tony Meola »

I have seen a couple of posts about the Airmar transducers. Since I am in the middle of my repower and will be getting a new depth finder, I was wondering if those of you who have the airmar know believe it is worth changing over to the flush mount airmar, or even move up to their new 1KW twin transducer over the one that would come with the new Sounder. Tony
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The standard transducers mounted in high speed fairing blocks work very well.
There is also a new transducer out that does not require a fairing block and mounts at the same angle as the hull. The element inside the ducer is tilted so that it shoots straight up and down. I believe they come in different angles to work with alot of different hulls.
1kW makes a big difference in water over 50 ft deep, the detail and picture are better. Some believe that the noise from a 1kW machine has an adverse affect on feeding tunas at night. We have both a 1kW and 600W machine on board (just in case its true)
If you are going to use a shoot through in a box make sure you keep it off the lifting strakes (turbulence and different bottom thicknesses will impare the final picture)
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tom

Post by Tom »

I agree with JP. I don't have any issues at 30 kts with the 1kw and high speed fairing. It was a pretty easy install as well.
Viva la Presidente!
Harv

Post by Harv »

I too have no issues with my 1000 watt transducer at any speed.
Unlike Tom, I mounted mine with no fairing block. Pictures are posted in the Garmin or Furuno thread. Transducer is mounted dead center on the keel just even with the back of my engines.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

My current one is through the hull with a fairing block, but since I am closing up holes, and need to put a new transducer in with whatever machine I get, I thought an airmar flush mount might be nice to reduce drag. I will take a look at the 1kw airmar with the high speed mount and keep the transducer where it is. Right now its just starboard of the center line between the engines. Worked well at 19 to knots with the gas engines so hopefully at 24 to 25 knots with the diesels it will still work in that spot. Tony
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Mine is the same as Harvs. Works to 29knts
matt

Post by matt »

does anyone have a recommendation on which 1000w tducer? Raymarine has "high performance" "ultra high performance" "broad band ultra high performance" etc