Cummins Parts?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

STeveZ

Cummins Parts?

Post by STeveZ »

Times a wastin', I need to order in some misc. parts for my Cummins 6B's prior to re-install and launch. Should I just buy them through Cummins or are they available elsewhere at a better price? I made a list and got a quote from Cummins and was unpleasantly surprised by the $800 total. The vibe isolators and pump kits took the biggest bite.

Parts needed for Cummins 6BTA 210HP:

(2)3288689 - Belt
(1)3938161 - Oil Pan Gasket
(2)3349230 - Vibration Isolator
(1)3885912 - Paint
(4)3975187 - Heat X Gasket
(4)3975189 - Heat X Cover
(4)3975185 - Hex Head Cap Screw
(2)3916107 - Flexible Hose
(2)3908220 - Sea Water Pump Repair
algillen

Post by algillen »

I don't mean to dismiss the value of $800, but you must have never had a chance to own a pair of Volvos.... that same list of parts painted green would have run you at least $3,000.

Did you try getting pricing from Brad out at Seaboard Marine? Typically Seaboard is competitive on pricing.... I bought a pair of replacement vibration isolation mounts for 6Bs at a cost of $185. SW pump kits, depending on precisely what you are getting, could well run you $150 -$200 per side. You need to make sure the pumps are worth rebuilding, of course. (All things considered, $800 does not seem to be out of line to me.)
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Good morning Steve
I have a couple of Oil Pan gaskets that I cannot use because of a small missing detail. I do not know if all of the marine pans are made the same way buttttttttt if you will post a pic of the gasket surface of your oil pan I can tell if the gaskets I have will work for you.

I also have a pair of new belts that are to long for my engines........from your pics I can see that your engines have an additional pulley that my engines do not have. Measure the length of your belt and I will compare it to the belts that I have.

When we determine that the gasket and/or belt that I have will work for you I will send them to you via US Mail or UPS your choice. You pay the postage..........I am giving you the parts for no money..........

As far as your seawater pump and heat exchanger gaskets call these guys
http://sbmar.com/

Call Matt at PC Industries for your other parts. They have OEM parts as well as aftermarket parts. If they will not sell to you contact me and I will see if I can help.
http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/

Harry
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I discovered that if you can find a trucker's supply store that has Cummins parts, you might go into shock at some of the price differences. I bought 3 cans of Cummins White paint for what my Marina sells one for. Belts were two for one. Obviously they are not going to have saltwater pumps, but basics should be there. Tony Athens is a good source. If you have a business tax number you can open up an account with your local Cummins parts place and get them at a discounted price. Walter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Walt hit the nail right on the head.Anything that is not a marine specific part should be obtainable at lower prices from a Cummins truck parts counter. Another choice might even be a Dodge parts counter as Dodge uses Cummins diesels in many of their pickups.
Harv
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Thanks guys,

I was planning on getting the pump stuff from Seaboard based on the recommendations here. Harry, Thanks for your generous offer, I'll follow up after I get down to the marina later this week. I'll check out powerline too.

-Steve
litecatch

Post by litecatch »

NAPA has the idler pulleys, belts, air, oil, and fuel filters. fuel lift pumps and starters. you might be shocked at the price difference.