Fuel Flow?????

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Fuel Flow?????

Post by Harry Babb »

Anyone know the total fuel flow for a 6BTA 300 HP Cummins engine?

The number I am looking for is the sum of the max engine consumption plus the amount returned to the tank via the fuel return line.

Reason.......I am determining what size Racor I need for my Repower. Reading about Racors I understand that if you OVERSIZE the fuel filter the fuel does not spin fast enough thru the Turbine area of the filter for good water seperation and if you undersize the filter.........

I have looked in the books.........if its there I have overlooked it.

Harry
hb
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Harry...

I have the 315 HP 6Bs which are the same as the 330s, and have one Racor 900 unit for each engine.. I use 30 micron elements in these and use a 2 micron secondary filter which is mounted on the engine. Tony Athens on the Boatdiesel forum has some articles about his suggestions for setting up filters.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Filters

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I also run 900 series Racors on my Cummins. I started with 500's, but they weren't enough. If you have trash or sludge problems in the tank, water migth be a secondary issue, and the larger filter size of the 900's can help get you home, also help clean things us faster and with fewer element changes.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Harry,

I have 300hp 6BTA's. I'm also running the 900's.
Regards,

Doug L.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry,
Check out this article out about multi-stage filtration, I know some that think its over kill but its clean to work with.

[img]Multi-Stage Filtration
(As I see it, all filtration before the engines "last chance" fuel filter is "primary" regardless of what you have in place)

So what is "Multi-Stage filtration??

To me, proper fuel filtration for the type of marine vessels generally discussed in the forums at http://boatdiesel.com/ , all comes down to using a simple multi-stage filtration set-up (a minimum of 3 distinct stages/components) starting with largest practical and effective mechanical spin-on filter with around a 20-30 micron rating. This is your PRIMARY fuel filter (part of the entire "primary system" which is before your engine) and we call them "bulk separators" or "mud filters". In actuality, the first part of this primary line of defense can not only remove most of the mud and crud, algae and diesel fines, and extend filter maintenance many times, it can also remove copious amounts of water, but this will depend upon the type of primary filter you use and HOW YOU maintain it. And BTW, a Racor 900 or 1000 w/ a 30 mic element could also qualify as a "bulk separator" in my book, although I consider its proper long term maintenance is rather messy and very time consuming.

Our preference for a proven Primary or Bulk Separator fuel filter?? In 95% of our work, the Fleetguard "spin-on" FF5013 is the ticket as it offers a 20 mic BETA rating, a flow rate of 100 GPH clean ½" Hg pressure drop, has a built-in water drain, has no "plastic" bowls to leak or discolor, and has proven itself to do the job. For super high capacity, we use the Fleetguard FS 1218 - About a 250 GPH flow rate, has a "crud capacity" of about 7 times that of a Racor 1000, and has all the best needed features for use as a high capacity Primary bulk separator.
Our second stage of the "Multi-Stage" fuel filter system
After this primary line of defense comes your main fuel water separator, your Racor 900 or 1000 ( if you feel the need to have "Racor" on your boat) , or other type of quality fuel water separator. We prefer a Fleetguard FS19596, FS 1000, or FS1015 - listed in order of overall capacity and filtering quality - that has the largest capacity practical, using the most modern 7-10 mic media specifically developed for water separation. Notice I didn't mention the Racor FG 500 as I consider it too small (capacity wise) for anything over about 75 HP. What you choose here is usually governed by what the builder or past owner installed. And again, CAPACITY is the main key, as all of the issues that I have seen over years with problems in the fuel system and/or failed fuel components, is more or less related to the capacity, along w/ system component design and/or maintenance of this filter , and not the chosen micron size of the element, be it 2, 10, or 30 micron.

Our current choice for a properly designed and proven system is to use a Fleetguard FS1000 for the second part of the Multi-Stage system. The FS1000 Fuel/Water Separator was designed specifically to combat wear and corrosion in Electronic Injection Engines "EUI" technology. The FS1000 contains high performance synthetic media, "Stratapore" developed and made exclusively by Fleetguard, consisting of five bonded layers of multi-stage media. These are one layer of cellulose, three layers of melt-blown polyester and an additional protective layer. By itself, the FS1000 achieves performance previously obtained only with primary/secondary filter systems.

Basic Filter Dimensions

Major YUK

More Major YUK

Racor 1000 w/ HD FS1218 Fleetguard primary bulk separator - Good for 700 hp

Simple Multi-Stage -
Excellent choice for 90% of all vessels

Simple and effective Multi-Stage Fuel Filter System. No messy & leaky bowls to deal with...

[/img]
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
J Graham

Post by J Graham »

I use Tony's Multi Stage system in my B 25 with single 330B. Works great.
JG
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks for the reply...........the 500 Racor, I thought would be sufficient but I did not realize that it may be right on the minimum edge.....thanks Capt Mike

Since you guys are successfully running the 900's..........that's what I will also run............

Just for grins and giggles does anyone know the total fuel flow of the 300 HP 6BTA Cummins????

Where's the best place to purchase Racor fuel filters????

Harry
hb
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Harry: The best price I could find is at www.marinefilters.com. They are actually here in Louisiana. I paid around $150 each for the 500's. Good prices on filter elements too.

Eddy G.