lasik

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thuddddddd

lasik

Post by thuddddddd »

anyone knwo why there is such a huge swing in pricing? and how do you know(other than BB) if the guys any good?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Its better to pay more at a great doctor than the discount place where they pump them out. Its your eyes not a Hatterass!!
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thuddster, you only have one set of eyes, don't piss around about price. You really need to check out whose gonna do it to you. Halo's @ nightime don't go away, just a opinion.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

I get it, but how do ya knwo if your geting screwed? the canadians ben doing it for 15 years longer than us. I've had a # of friends go up and get it done, about 500 a eye, and no one has had issues. We got the lasik eye institute that wants "starting at 299" the earl schribe of lasik, far as I can tell. I had a eval from a Boston hot shot 5500. Couple of eye guys just North in Nh want about 4k.
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

Tim,
Have one eye done at the Lasik institute & the other one done at the Boston hotshot. Let us know the results.

Seriuosly, the Doc with offices in Gloucester & Woburn used to be on the "cutting edge". Now I think all his employees do most of everything & he is to busy doing Botox injections. Both my brother & neighbor had him do their eyes years ago before Lasik when the radial Kerotomy was done with a scalpel. They were both satisfied with the results.

Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

thanks Al

I'm so confused
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Timmy, I think you look cute with glasses.

UV
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

LOL
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Timmy,

The Docs hire from the same gene pool that you and I do for the hourly positions. Not sure what that means but it always scares the s*** out of me.

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, crap
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Timmy

Be really carefull. I have seen the best screw up someone's eye. To tell you the truth, if it were me I would pass on it. Use contacts. Check with people who have had it done. Check those that have recently had it done and find some that had it done a couple of years ago. Some people have an issue driving at night as they get Halo's.

Believe me I have thought about it but at this stage of the game, I will let it be until someone can guarantee no problems.

What ever you decide, good luck. Tony
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

I have to agree wit Meola on this one. I am 45 and had glasses all my life. Yes i would love to go without them but after 40 we need bi-focals to read and they cant really fix that part with Lasic. So even if you get the eyes fixed with lasic you willstillneed to carry around a pair for reading. Why not just carry them on your head and spend the money saved on the boat. Troy 31Tiara "DRIFTER" Lafitte La
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

I can't agree with the last few post my wife had it done and I know about 6 others and only one needs reading glasses. They told him he would need them even before he had it done. He also was wearing coke bottle for glasses he was blind with out them basically. For him it change his life he didn't even like to swim because he couldn't see.

Now about the price I see Mr Frugal is showing up again!!!! Don't worry about the price worry about getting the best Doc you can!!!!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Lasik??????
Kinda got a theory about your glasses thing
1. Your eyes are probably fine, its the alcohol that makes everything blurry or.
2. You beat the crap out that thang when you were a kid and are finally paying for it.

None of these will the surgery fix.
Anyway like UV said you look cute with glasses.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

I know you think I don't know much about Surgery.......but if you notice, I am still wearing my glasses. On a personal note, the poorer eyesite you have, the better the Tubb will look.

My 2 Cents.

Matt Holcomb
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Matt Holcomb wrote:IOn a personal note, the poorer eyesite you have, the better the Tubb will look.Matt Holcomb
Matt,

I think he'd need to be legally blind. Of course it helps that he's also mildly retarded.
Regards,

Doug L.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Tim, this is Scott's wife. My sister had the lasik surgery which worked very well for her. Scott's sister also had it done a couple of months ago and she's very happy with the results, but you need to do a little research to make sure that you are a good candidate. Get a second opinion at least. Some people develop scarring as a result of the procedure which prevents the procedure from being effective. However, I think that degree of scarring is pretty rare. To make sure that the doctor you have chosen is good, check with your State's Department of Professional Regulation to make sure that your doc does not have any complaints against him. Ask him straight out whether he has ever had a malpractice claim made against him. I know that seems uncomfortable, but these are your eyes your talking about. Don't be shy. If it was your dog they were operating on, I know you'd ask...
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

OK, here are the issues for elective type cases.

1. I want to know who is actually gonna do the work. I don't want to be in a place where "hirelings" sub for the "guru".

2. How many cases, and how long has the surgeon been where he is now.
I want someone who has been there for years, and done a substantial number of cases....for lasik, that would be in the thousands.

3. Personal reputation. Someone that I know, who has good judgement, will have to tell me something good about the doc involved.

4. Unavoidable risk. You can do the same operation the same way on a hundred people, and it surely will not turn out the same in all 100. For lasik, one in a thousand will have a significant problem. I figure it would be me, so I haven't had it done.

5.Having one malpractice claim is part of doing business these days. I don't know any surgeon with a normal practice who hasn't been sued. (Some of them seem to have forgotten about it, but that's a different story). That is different than having 5 or 10 cases.....that really is a bad sign.

Come to Texas. I will get it done right for you. (Although you might be the first lasik pt. to wake up with a sore a***ole if Tom P. is doing the anesthesia.)

Matt
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Timmy,
I'm with UV on this. Lasik to my mind is a vanity issue. When I started wearing glasses people treated me as though I were actually intelligent and if I keep my mouth shut and don't hang around Chris Pague no one knows.
Quit screwing around with Lasik and computer bulletin boards and get to work. 'course I'm talking to myself here too.
Going to be 60 here today, got stuff to do.
AMF
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

I get it, but how do ya knwo if your geting screwed?
Well,do we really have to tell you how that works?

LOL

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Thudd,

JP's right. But if you insist on doing it, i'll be down tomorrow to take care of you. Now where's that halogen spotlight, and dull axe...

Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thudd
I was considering Lasik, but I'm going to try contacts instead. From what I've read, multi-focal surgery is still pretty new, so I'm not taking that chance. If the contacts don't work I can always go back to tri-focals until the surgery becomes routine.
unabashed hyena lover
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

40 years of glasses and contacts is getting old.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

thuddddddd wrote:40 years of glasses and contacts is getting old.
Well at least you didn't have them your first 12 years!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Richard, didn't see you there(on acount of my suck eye sight)
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Thank goodness you didn't ask about a vasectomy!!
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Mike K

Thudddd's vanity and Lasik

Post by Mike K »

Thudddd...

I agree with UV, the glasses look good.....

8)
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Dude, I didn't even know you were still alive. Thought you'd moved to Brazil and shaked up with some stripper
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

yeah, they help by partially covering your face!

Seriously though, I know of three guys that have done it, and all are very happy they did.

I asked them about it, and one emailed me back this: http://www.beware299lasik.com/

Don't you hate people who answer a question with a website?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Timmy

I tell you to be carefull and really check this out, because I know people who have had issues. I have seen this with the employees for the last two company's I have worked for. I handle the benefits for over 7000 US employees of a large Global Company and I have seen and heard all the stories. The ones who's surgery gets messed up and even by great doctors are the ones I really feel for. But screwing up an appendectomy may put you out of commission an extra week or two but the eyes, now thats another story. So just be carefull.

Yes I would love to throw away the glasses. I beat you in the number of year since I started out at the age of two with them. I know all the guys here give you a hard time but get the best Doc you can afford and check everything out before you jump in the pool. Tony
raybelanger

Post by raybelanger »

thuddddi HAD lASIK DONE SIX YEARS AGO . Been great . check out the Dr.'s credentials. I'mm58 don't need glassess at all.Hated glasses wore them since Iwas 8. Go For IT. Ray
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

lobsta1 wrote:Tim,
Have one eye done at the Lasik institute & the other one done at the Boston hotshot.
Watch out for Al's advice though. I happened to get blessed with better than average vision, but unfortunately not equally. Right eye is 20-10 and left eye is 20-15. The result is that when I have a lot to drink - something that I gather you do sometimes - I always end up using only the good eye. So if you end up with unequal eyes like me, you'll end up looking like the drunken Popeye as I do
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

[quote="Sean Burlinghamequally. Sometime I have a lot to drink, often much more than I can handle - something that I gather you do sometimes -

Once, and now it it hangs around my neck , like a albatross
randall

Post by randall »

ten years ago i accidently ran over my glasses with my truck....never got new ones. surprisingly my eyesight is far better now then it was then...bring your glasses over here and i'll see (no pun intended) what i can do...my new truck should completely flatten em
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Stick with the contacts and avoid the surgery! Remember that most people become farsighted as they age. In my case after a lifetime of wearing glasses/contacts the ageing process finally evened things out to the point where I am 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. Some day I may need reading glasses, but not yet. Avoid the small risk of surgical error and stay with the external aids to your vision.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Timmy: I am not a candidate for Lasik I'm minus 10 in my left eye and minus 11 with astigmatism in my right eye. I had a friend with similar problems that had the lens implants put in last summer. She loves them. I am waiting to see how she does for a year or so before I jump in. The nice thing is that since they go in between the lens and the cornea, they are reversible and no structure of your eye is removed or altered. My main concern with Lasik (if I could have it) would be the risk of scarring which can cause "starring" at night around lights and increased light insensitivity. It is more expensive than Lasik, but it seems to be worth the price.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

Thudd. If you will note my mugg is not on the site. Mikey knows how cute I am because he wears glasses. Well so do I. Problem is my glasses make Mikey look well you know?
Thought about the lasik but glasses work fine untill I have to bend over in the bilge and pick up something Mikey droped
Chris
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Couple of the goats down PE thought the same thing about him........
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Thuddd,
A few thoughts...

First, it's not going to help you shoot any better so it's not worth it. Spend money on shooting lessons or even better, hire a shooter for you. Beau will appreciate it.

Second,
Did you ask Kathy's permission? If she does not say yes, then all of this thread is a mute point.

Other then that, the guy that did Tiger Woods comes to Richmond from time to time and charges in the 5K range. I had a close friend get his done and he went from being legally blind to 20/20. Another friend could not get his done because his cornea's were too thin. He was real dissapointed. The statistics are in your favor. If Kathy lets you do it, I figure that is your biggest hurdle. :)

Chiles
(Timmy started it)
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

thud lasik was one of the best decisions i've ever made.

one of the reasons its so expensive to go with some doctors is in there screening process the good doctors want their good records to hold up so they'll only do it on the best candidates.

I had my eyes done for 5200 dollars i know have had 20/15 in both eyes for almost 2 years now. The reason it was so expensive cuz i went with the best technology available. I had the flaps cut with laser and i had my eyes maped with the colorstream and then cut with the colorstream laser i can go into more details on what it involoved but bottom line you only have one shot at getting it right and as much as you guys blow on boats you shouldnt try saving money on your eyes.

Good luck and i wish the best for you. nothing better than not having to put on glasses to see alarm clock. haha
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Do it Timmay. My old lady had it done and she can see now. Some people are not candidates for it though. I do not know all of the details other than if your vision is still changing they may tell you to wait a few years. They told one friend of mine that he was not ready for it yet. Kimberly used to wear glasses or contacts for reading, driving ,cooking, waxing the boat....you get the idea, she is much happier now and probably has better vision than me.