where do you shop for...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

where do you shop for...

Post by Face »

Hey guys, just wanted to get a thread going of suggestions/reminders of the best/cheapest places to buy boat products online or otherwise. As I get closer and closer to putting my B28 back together I need more and more parts. Shouldn't this be the other way around? Anyway, any websites worthy of note?

I'll start with electronics...the cheapest place I've found for most any electronics is www.starmarinedepot.com
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Once I figure out what I need (usually electronics or some other items) I will google for what I'm looking for and compare the prices on the various websites.

As I always ask/recieve Boat Useless/Worst Marine gift certificates for X-mas and birthday, I always call up there 800 number and get them to price match the cheapest place I can find.

For instance, I recently purchased the Raymarine DSM30 sounder module. I found it on marinebargains.com for $402 with free shipping. There were 2 coupon codes to use. The first was NEBOATSHOW and the second was FREESHIP. The boat show code was only good unitl the end of the month. With taxes it came to $422. There is a mail in $30 Raymarine Rebate if you buy before Jan 31, 2008. The site you listed above has the unit at $419.

I had $300 worth of Worst Marine gift card from Christmas, so I spent 20 minutes on the phone with them busting their balls and got them to match. Worst Marine's original price was $480. WIth shipping and taxes, they would've been over $500. After the rebate, my total out of pocket will be $92.

Now I've just got to keep my eye out for a good deal on an Airmar B60 20 degree transducer. The cheapest I've seen it so far is $200 (includes shipping). I'm sure I'll get a few more Worst Marine gift cards for my birthday so I'll keep shopping around.
Regards,

Doug L.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Defender (dot com) has good pricing on a wide variety of items. In the past they've had a spring sale where they give an across the board percentage discount. My first year w/ the boat I just made a list of everything from soap to fenders and ordered during the sale.
Face

Post by Face »

I hear ya on west marine. Even with a port supply account, electronics prices are terrible. Other products can be more reasonable with ps account, when in stock. I've had them match printed out online prices too, depends on the store though. Nice to know about calling the 800 number. Also, not sure if they do it every year, but 2 yrs ago if you bought a gift card during the last few weeks before the holidays, and used it the week after Xmas, they would add 50% to the card. That worked out pretty well.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

West matched a on-line seller for my Garmin 3006C. Got it home, opened the box- the gasket had a bad place. Brought it back, they pulled another off the shelf and away I went. Bought a Furuno 1932MK2 radar off the internet, had all kinds of problems with it (still do), all under warranty (it was brand new) Furuno made me mad.....If I had West there I could've grabbed another....
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

all i can say is just search around it seems there isn't one single supplier thats alway cheaper than the others. I found pss shaft seals were cheaper at go2marine.com but engine mounts were cheaper on lighthousemarine

also if you need any help with anything let me know i'm right across the river from you and i think i may have seen your boat up on land if your the on that has it in solomons
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

West Marine's official policy used to be that their brick and mortar stores would match any price from another store, website, or catalog. Now, they're official policy is they will match store to store, catalog to catalog, and website to website.

When (not if) you find a price cheaper on line, just call their 800 number and tell them the Worst Marine number you want to buy and then walk them through the website you want them to match to. Be sure to include the shipping when you give them the competing site. It takes a while on the phone (15-30 minutes depending on what your buying), but I've been doing this for a few years now.

I like doing it because it makes it easier on people when they ask what they can get me.
Regards,

Doug L.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

And we wonder why all the local hardware stores are closing. Everyone's out to stab their own mother to save a nickel.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

On this one purchase alone I saved $78. That's 1,560 nickels.
Regards,

Doug L.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I couldn't agree more JP. I have a local guy who's been a pleasure to deal with for the past 15 years and he is the first guy I go to when outfitting my boat. Tune up parts, bottom paint, or electronics, I give him the first shot at my business.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
neil

Post by neil »

jp you must rember post marine supply next to butlers,i am all for supporting the local guy even if if it costs a few bucks. we are still in aruba drinking rum getting ready to watch the superbowl on a 30 ft screen set up in the ocean,life doesnt get any better neil,jr and momma
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I have bought most of my major electronics from Cyber-Marine. They are a virtual store with great prices. Occasionally they have special deals with large discounts.

www.cyber-marine.com

I also use a couple of local "mom and pop" stores.. often they have odd stuff the big places won't bother to carry. Even if their prices are higher I occasionally buy some larger items from them as well.. just because they take good care of me when I ask questions or when they refer me to another store when they don't have what I need.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I have used the internet to purchase quite a few things for my 31. My favorite local store is Blue Water Ship Stores.

I have come to know the sales associates pretty good, the advise that they give me I consider to be good advise.

The store in my area reminds me of the Ole Tyme Hardware stores. You can purchase a single screw if thats all you need.

They give deep discounts at the annual boat show and have a wide selection at the store.

Harry

www.bluewatershipsstore.com
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Just tell it like it is JP. Get ready buddy, the wally squad is looking for you to go fishing. You need to tell Neil about Cruzan rum if he wants to try a good rum, you know about that one brother.

I buy everything for my boat with locals on just about everthing, just like Andre said, " I just take it back and/or replace it for another". Support your community if you can.

Hey Andre, been missing you guys down in Venice. Went fishing yesterday, beautiful weather and sea codition for February, just the Wally's were not biting. Going again next weekend if the weather's good, might see yall down there.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
John F.

Post by John F. »

My local Boaters World gives 10% off (as well as their Capt's Club discount) with a Maryland Saltwater Sportfishmans Assoc. card. Makes it pretty tough to beat their prices. For merc. parts, the local marina that has a good parts dept. and a great parts guy is pretty close to any of the online places, and if they aren't, and you mention it to them, they'll get really close--so I buy from them. Sometimes the local guy can be really competitive--sometimes not.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

JP, I would hardly consider West Marine anyones local store. I'll bet there one of the largest marine on-line distributors around. And as to shopping there prices, it's there policy, why would you not do it? In my area West Marine is about 20% higher than Boaters World across the board. Now I agree with you on the local tackle/bait shops, I used to buy from Turner Marine, our local marine shop, but there belly-up now. Funny thing is, there prices were competitive, and selection was good, I guess the location was to far of the beaten path. I miss Turner, but don't think I'll be feeling to sorry for a West Marine though.

ScottD
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

On Western Long Island I like to shop at Freeport Marine. Especially when Mario is there in the winter. He spends summers running his boat Lady Grace as a charter out of Montauk.

Besides being a really nice guy, he uses the equipment that he sells so he has a real knowledge of what works well on different applications.

Out east I use East End Marine Supply in Greenport. They have everything you could possibly imagine, and then some. Both support web and catalog sales. When there is a problem they are right there to help. East End Marine will even deliver, which is a very nice service to have.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

JP, I would hardly consider West Marine anyones local store. I'll bet there one of the largest marine on-line distributors around. And as to shopping there prices, it's there policy, why would you not do it?
I have never and will never shop at West Marine. There are enough guys local to my area that have or can get whatever I need. With the case of being where we are for the winter I will make sure I give the marina my business before whoring out to save a couple bucks. This policy makes it alot easier when it comes time for help down the road. Maybe if people stop cutting the local guys throats it'll come back and benefit them.
When was the last time you've seen a local car parts store. Christ if one more Autozone or Pep Boys goes in buy me I'll puke.

Having worked in this business most my life the best pay back is when you get the guy who brings his West Marine or Boaters World gizmo to you for installation. Hook it up plug it in, doesn't work. Lucky guy he saved $78.00 to pay me 78.00 an hour to put it in and then these lucky guys get to pay me again to take it out, then they get to go back and exchange it and then pay me to put it back in again. If they would of sucked it up let the installer purchase the product they would save money in the end.

Penny wise and pound foolish in my opinion. When your dollar driven you eventually loose in the end. Find yourself a good local electronics guy, it might cost you a few bucks up front but it will pay for itself down the road with customer service at your location.
Last edited by JP Dalik on Feb 3rd, '08, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

JP. I never said (or thought) you shopped @ West Marine, Doug however was. As for me cutting my local guys throats, I don't know where that's coming from, I support my local dive shop, tackle shop and bait shop. As for the electronics, I bought some local and I bought on-line, from Vic's local shop, delivered to my door. Most on-line stores are someones local shop. Like I said before, Turner got a lot of my business, but not all of it, maybe that's why there gone. It's funny, a free market is what everyone wants, until it busts there own chops!

ScottD
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Scott
the "you" in that rant wasn't directed at you.
"You" should of read "people". Should of proof read the rant. I'll edit and repair post haste.

Every small business owner out there will complain when the big stores move in and hurt there business. But how small business owners are buying products they don't sell but need for home or hobbies from local merchants?

Unfortunately every time people go to Wal Mart or Costco or Pep Boys its another small business that doesn't get what could amount to the difference b/w staying open or not.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Scott said,
JP. I never said (or thought) you shopped @ West Marine, Doug however was.
Scott, where did I say that JP shops @ West Marine in my post? I said,
[/quote]I buy everything for my boat with locals on just about everthing, just like Andre said, " I just take it back and/or replace it for another". Support your community if you can.

Have a Cruzan Rum & Coke on Me...I promise I want throw you under the bus.
R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

DQ,
We moved the boat from Venice to Tickfaw last Sunday. Need to do a bottom job and other normal things. She's hoisted 4' out of the water now.

There are no "locals" selling electronics in BR. My son used to work at West Marine, is he "local"?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jspiczio i follow the same though but might use lewis marine out east as for mario at freeport marine he gave me a tournament winning tip a few years back. " bob did you ever watch the birds attacting the chum 200 yards from the boat" yes i seen the bird diving on the chum but never gave it much mind " bunker chum leaves the bag and then comes to the surface 200 or so yards behind the boat from now on don`t follow the crowd put your far line on a balloon and only 10' of line that is were a mako is most likely to come in on the slick" sure enough he was right on target .a little off subject but just wanted to give credit where due.
jp i agree with you 100% and while on that subject i live by this ideal. for me to walk in a " home center" would pretty much make me a asshole or a losser "no credit for areal supply house". quite a statement but i understand in other parts of the country you have no choice as long as you understand a big buyer like them can have a manufacturer drop his draws and make a product to look the same to fool the public but cheapen up here and there .the public is "brand buying" case in point look at a mogan door or a moen faucet .yes i have a family member who is the southeast manager ---------a pro at f--king the public.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Bob- I have never used Lewis. I will definitely give them a try. Yeah, Mario is a really good kid. Not afraid to share his experience.