Repower With steyr 174 164 h.p.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Flying Jack

Repower With steyr 174 164 h.p.

Post by Flying Jack »

:?: I just brought the 31 Bertram Janzerra ( see listings)to Maui , i am now looking at a repower and have come across a pair of Steyr 164 hp diesels, they have 400 hours and will be delivered for 12,000, still under warranty. Speed is not so much a factor as the grounds here are only a fort knot run .
Any ever repower with the yanmar 170s or these engines ?

David Freedman :?:
If your able to read this things aint that bad
Mahalo
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

170 HP is a little light, but if you never have to make more than 17 knots you should be OK.

220 is really the low end for reasonable performance for these boats, but if you really just spend 95 percent of your time trolling, what difference does it make.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I had 165hp Perkins before and could make 19knts at cruise. It was slow but it worked.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

In Hawaii it's downriggers down and baits out at the sea bouy which is 60 fathoms.
Lucky dogs.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

I had a pair of 170 Yanmars in my 31 bahia mar. 20 knot cruise. Capt Pat can varify. Don't know why I sold them. Usually we cruised out at 16-18 knots. Sounds like you're getting quite a deal, my friend.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Carl

Post by Carl »

My dads got a pair of 236(216hp) Steyrs in his Hatteras. He really loves them. A well thought out motor. Good luck
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

My guess is that verything will be cheaper with smaller motors. Smaller or stay the same shafts, struts, exhausts, rudders. Sounds like for the two motors it's half the price of one Cummins 270B. If you don't have to run 80 miles for blue water like us New Jersey guys why spend all that money for a few extra knots?