web site up date

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

web site up date

Post by randall »

no not this site ...my site...im over here at mike's house and we updated the site.....in the recent work section is a piece i did for bob le blanc called "cutting board"....linked to it is a bunch of pics showing the steps involved in carving it......i just got tired of folks going...yeah its all one piece except.....BTW...bobs' a great guy and part of the baton rouge delegation that i met in panama...................shameless self promotion

http://www.randallrosenthal.com/
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Again fantastic. My favorite is still the Knobel railing. Where are you exhibiting now?
randall

Post by randall »

thanks...ill tell peter that...i have a bunch of pieces in a gallery in amagansett ny and will have a piece soon in the national sculpture society awards show in the city...that show travels to south carolina...and in the spring in a show with some real heavy hitters...but still mostly word of mouth commissions...thanks again
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

randall wrote:thanks...ill tell peter that...i have a bunch of pieces in a gallery in amagansett ny and will have a piece soon in the national sculpture society awards show in the city...that show travels to south carolina...and in the spring in a show with some real heavy hitters...but still mostly word of mouth commissions...thanks again
Which gallery in Amagansett? And where is the national Sculpture show exhibited? At the National Arts Club on Gramercy Park?
randall

Post by randall »

pamela williams gallery in amagansett...the national sculpture society is on park ave in that building on abour 44 st that straddles the ave...used to be the time life and before that the pan am building....i think
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You make my knife handle look like a monkey with a tux on.

Show off.
randall

Post by randall »

actually mike and i had a short conversation about how really nice the grips and handle are.....besides which..you know more about boat mechanics than anyone i ever met so you get no sympathy from me
BlueChip

Post by BlueChip »

WOW.. i would have though they were pictures if it wasnt for the progression cutting board section...

Chris
Restoring a 1973 Mako 20 . . B31 is next...when I find the cash

My Dad's 1966 B20 that i am working on .. (pre-BootStripe)
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall
You are absolutley amazing. I have looked at your website before and really did not realize that I was looking at solid wood carvings.

I admire and have the utmost of respect for people who have a talent and skill and USE it.

Harry
hb
Mack

Post by Mack »

I know that I can speak for a handful of guys on the site and have to say that you really can't fully appreciate the craftsmanship unless you see his work in person. It really is amazing. He brought a legal pad and a Tropic Star calendar down to Panama last year. UV and Mike have sereral of his works.

Great job on the cookbook. Bob was really excited about it when he described it to me down at TSL last year. The pictures of the progress really put it in perspective and prove that Randal really does other things other than surf.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

so you get no sympathy from me
When your carvings are being commanded from far away lands, can I at least tell people I stayed with you once and peed in your yard?
randall

Post by randall »

you can pee in my yard anytime........
nic

Post by nic »

Stunning Randall....thank you for the link. I was going to put something rude about it being not too terrible but I'll wait 'til we meet one day to show my true colors....and I remembered that picture of Buddy Holly on a legal pad you posted...which I thought at the time was very well drawn, not realising that the whole thing, pad and torn curled pages and all, was sculpted from solid wood. Just fantastic....are we going to see something related to 31s ever?

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

randall wrote:pamela williams gallery in amagansett...the national sculpture society is on park ave in that building on abour 44 st that straddles the ave...used to be the time life and before that the pan am building....i think
Yes, the old Pan Am building, now the MetLife building. I remember when they used to land Helos on that baby.
randall

Post by randall »

thanks nic....how about this
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

randall
as always simply amazing
nic

Post by nic »

All right, I'll bite.....is that the book or your art?

Nic
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Nic.... That art, what is art......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Nic - since he did it for me I'll chime in (thanks again lil' buddy), it's all wood, hand painted....it sits on the coffee table at our camp next to the real paper book and I love to watch people pick them up and marvel.....Also have his Pinas Bay, Panama chart, a couple of legal pads, and the first one he gave me, a leaf...... Randall is just over the top. One morning in June at Port Eads Randall was wading knee deep down the dock from the (air conditioned, hey?) regrigerator box I'd bunked him and Ric in (high tide, sinking dock) and a big ass alligator was following him. I had my huge .44 magnum Ruger revolver strapped to my side and took aim at the 'gator, but Randall out ran him...that afternon Stan the Helldiver hand fed the big gator fish scraps.

But Stan and Crazy Al Walker are....crazy guys....ya'll remember the video Al had of the under-the-oil-rigs spear fishing?

UV
nic

Post by nic »

Thank you Mike.

Nic
nic

Post by nic »

Thanks Vic, that is just unbelievable...I thought Randall was having me on.

Nic
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Nic - nope, the wood book and the paper book look exactly the same until you pick them up, and even then some don't figure it out. We had some guests at the camp recently and one was an artist, let her look and her comment was "this guy Randall Rosenthal can't be mortal - no one can do this".....sho' nuff he can, and he can surf, and catch fish. One more reason we are the Few, The Proud, the B31 guys. A bunch of people with very multiple talents, worldwide.

UV
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

With all due respect UV - randall be's a B25 guy!! If i had ever met you I'd sign it

your fren' rod

cheers, Rod
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Randall, I am awestruck - I'm sure that you know the effect that you have on people, but you mus have a very interesting brain that organizes images in a way that I can't comprehend. Wow. One day I hope to be able to afford something that you have made.

Thanks for posting, i really enjoyed looking.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Rocket wrote:Randall, I am awestruck - I'm sure that you know the effect that you have on people, but you mus have a very interesting brain that organizes images in a way that I can't comprehend. Wow. One day I hope to be able to afford something that you have made.

Thanks for posting, i really enjoyed looking.
I'd like to echo those exact same comments.

There was a picture posted here a while back, of a sketch on a notepad of Buddy Holly along with song lyrics. Everybody was gushing over it and I was thinking: well it's certainly a nice sketch... but I don't see what the huge deal is.

Then I saw the finished cutting board pictures too, and I had the same thoughts, but was even more perplexed as to why everyone thought a photo of a cutting board and a pad, some veggies and a knife was so very cool. I accept that I'm not much of an artiste, but hearing guys rant and rave about a photo of a cutting board really tested my imagination as to why.

Didn't know I was looking at pictures of wood carvings. Duh

Thanks for clearing that up for me, and NICE WORK! I get it now. Unforunately the better half saw them too and liked them too and now she wants one. Do you give discounts to us poor folk who blow all our spare cash on Bertrams?
randall

Post by randall »

lets see....people who blow their spare cash on bertrams...i am somewhat familiar with that concept.....not to mention a lot of "spare" time.....my wife, caren, has been pushing me for years to put a progress page on the website and because of the response i am very glad we did...speaking of which this web site would not exist and you would not be able to see my work without the the total helping hand of the meanest of the mean team.....mike

a few years ago mike asked me if i had a web site and i said no...his reply........"you're an idiot...i'll make you one".......its really what this place is all about and what separates it from all the other boat sites

the truth is i get way more positive reinforcement than any human needs but getting it from folks i actually care about is different and sincerely appreciated............thanks
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

You are the man.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Randall,

I have looked at you art work over the years. And did not believe my eyes. Every time I show people you art work from the Bertram book you did for UV they say no way. Now They can see the process. Just awsome!!
Just Awsome!!

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Randall:

THe next time I need surgery, I'm having them call you in to do it -- cause u cut better than any surgeon I have seen.

Tom
randall

Post by randall »

thanks tom.....id call matt myself......when i was growing up my pediatrician tried to steer me towards becoming a surgeon.....by the time i was 15 it was pretty obvious i wasn't gonna be a doctor....so my dad went to work on my younger brother who was a child prodigy musician..........different skills....hes a world famous psychiatrist
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Randall:

My older, and somewhat brighter, brother practiced medicine for 20 years -- when his malpractice his $150,000 and his investments hit a slightly larger number he went to law school. He now defends doctors in malpractice cases. Only does 2-3 a year and enjoys life like you would not believe.

He says he was a "high priced plumber" when he was in the operating room -- he says now he has learned how to think. A little over dramatic, but he makes an enjoyable living now!

Tom
randall

Post by randall »

tom...on the other hand my brother works from 7 in the morning till 6 at night...comes home and works on the computer till 11...thats when hes not traveling all over the world to lecture....hes unbelievably driven....i on the other hand like to recreate...seems like your brother has the right idea