Corvair/Randall

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Corvair/Randall

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall wrote
hay harry....had a 1969 turbo convert corvair....ten years ahead of its time and faster than a 250 auto vette (proved in the real world over and over)..........blew up transaxles all the time but i was 18

Randall
I owned a '69 and a '66 Monza, both 110 HP and both 4 speed. Admitting that they had their own set of problems (oil leaks) they were great little cars. Ralph Nader drove the Corvair into extinction..........I also was 18+ when I owned my cars..........believe me if they were not road worthy I would be a dead man today.

I still see a few of them at the Mississippi Cruise the Coast.........no matter how much money you spend on them they just don't bring any return.

BTW I started this post for fear of hijacking the other one

Harry
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Shhhh. Don't say hijack, the Feds will shut us down.
Ralph Nader drove the Corvair into extinction
Anytime anyone says one person can't change anything, remember that.

My thought has been if someone wants to invent a drivable flaming dog turd and you don't want to own one, then stay out of my ability to own one.
I hate those nanny sitters kicking back deciding what's best for me.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce, funny story.

I am a referree for USRowing. I referee collegiate rowing every spring and fall all over NE. One of the primary courses I referee on is Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester. It is actually the best natural rowing course in the country, however that is another story.

A few years ago a digital timing system was introduced, called a "links" system. It is a combination of functions including camera system for photo finishes etc. It has brought many positive things to the rowing course.

At the starting line there is a remote antenna and a button attached which we push at the start of every race.

It looks as though it could be awfully dangerous if you didn't know what it was.

It is a cannister with an antenna sticking out of it, with about a 20' cord and a button on the end. We velcro the cannister to a stable location on the starting platform, and when the button is pushed that is what starts the timing mechanism remotely.

We started calling the antenna "the bomb" for lack of a better description. Everyone knew what it was and what we meant by it immediately.

A couple of years ago, the local organizers in Worcester asked that we refrain from referring to the starting button and antenna as a "bomb", particularly on the radio as they were concerned (for real) that it would draw undue attention and scrutiny to the event, that was unnecessary from either local, state or federal authorities.

While we chuckled, we also understood... so we stopped.

But I guess you can never be too aware.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

The government has created an entire industry trying to "Protect us from ourselves".....seat belts with monetary fines........life jackets with monetary fines.......motorcycle helments with monetary fines and most of all there is OSHA who will give you a fine based on the possibilities of an accident............even if you have a perfectly clean long track record.

The way I see it is that if I want to go cruising without a helment or seat belt or life jacket so be it..............one good way to clean up the GENE POOL.

Harry
hb
randall

Post by randall »

harry...i had the 175HP version...maybe ill find a pic and scan it in....my senior year of high school we drove around on new years with the top down....woke up late the next afternoon to find 2 feet of snow in the car....had to shovel out the inside
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

hope you were not in the car when you woke up
Capt. Mike Holmes

Corvairs

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Buddy of mine had I think a 140 hp Corsa - the flat 6 with 6 one barrel carbs.. He had blown up a 289 Mustang Hi-Po the first night he owned it, the Corvair lasted years. Besides riding many miles in it, he used to let me borrow it a lot, really fun little car, and quick.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
randall

Post by randall »

with the 175 turbo it was surprisingly fast