Tef-gel amount?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Tef-gel amount?

Post by John F. »

I'm part way through my winter B31 window project. Got the fronts all taken apart, and I'll be replacing the T-bolts on the curved side windows with through-bolts. I'd like to use tef-gel when I reinstall--anybody have any idea how much I'll need? 1, 2, 3 tubes............? Thanks.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

TefGel goes a long way... You only need a surface film between the dissimilar metals. For those 6 bolts only, a single small tube will still leave you with some material left over. But be smart & buy a large tube and you'll have plenty for years to come. Remember the old Brylcreem commercial?
"A little dab'll do ya'"

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks Patrick. I didn't take the windows out, so the six bolts are staying put. There are (were) about 20-25 T-bolts per curved side window--close to 50 total. I'll be replacing all 50 with through-bolts. That's alot of dabs.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Sorry, wasn't thinking clearly... The large tube should get the job done for all. Pre-treat all of the bolts & nuts at the same time, rather than individually. That way you minimize your waste. While you still have the material on your fingers, rub on a little on each bolt hole, both sides of the frame. Clean up is done with mineral spirits...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
John F.

Post by John F. »

Capt Patrick-

Thanks.

John F.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John,
Even with that many replacements Patrick is right. I bought the small jar (2 oz.) with a brush, and have Tef Gelled everything in sight and haven't used a quarter of it.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
John F.

Post by John F. »

Mikey-

Yeah--but I just ordered two tubes just in case...my last tube, and my qt. of dolphinite went off with Doug for the side window install on Crows Nest. Pays to have extra...

You putting together a Chesapeake rendevous this year?

John