The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tippers

Post by tippers »

Hi everybody
I live in Naples Florida and the UK and have been a Bertram fan for 3/4 years having owned 2 *28`s.
I currentlye have a 30 and a 31 1965 Express.The 30 is for sale.
My problem is the 31 has no info with it and I was wandering if you could help:

What size are the tanks?
Can you buy new window frames?
What is the loaded weight?approx

The boat is rather scruffy but has 2 Cummings BTA5.9
engines that cruise it at 22 Knots.

I like the lower driving position due to back problems and am pleased to get into the club.
Any help with the possible renovation locally to Naples would be appreciated.

John Tiplady

Carl

Post by Carl »

Welcome aboard.

I have a 31 Express as well.

Tank size was 160 gallons, recently changed out to 220 gallons.

I have seen dry weight shown to be 10,400lbs but mine weighed in at 14,000lbs with gas 440's.

Windows and frames you cannot buy new. However they can be fabricated. Someone may chime in with one of the places that will do it, as it has come up several times. Also a search may give results.

The lower helm is great in many aspects, you don't have to climb up and down, in the middle of the action, larger cabin the Bahia Mar. Biggest drawback to the lower station is visibility. It's fine for flat days but when you get into 2-3 footers you can't always see debris till it's too late. That may not be an issue in Florida, but up here in NYC we have lots of crap floating around.

Good luck and welcome again.
Carl
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John, Welcome to the insanity. I have an express as well with 6BTA's. New side window frames are available from American Marine in Pompano Beach. 954-782-1404. Ask for Jerry or Mike Avery. Good folks. The front ones are a bit trickier. If yours are repairable, do that. If not, try to find ones from a boat of the same era. The frames (as I discovered the hard way) are not all the same size. The boats changed slightly over the years. I used a later window assembly (Fronts and curved) in Dreamsicle and it was a pain. But, if you're going to change the frames you are in for some fun anyway. Many just glass them over and are done with it. I personally like the look of the windows and the fact that they open. Cruising at 22 kts. sounds a bit slow, you may be under propped. Ask Bruce or Patrick for advise. Do you know what props you're running?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
nic

Post by nic »

Mikey,

I've got a top of 31.82 (once) but cruise at 18 - 22 a lot, maybe John's just taking it easy....anyhoo,

Sim,

Are you sure the tank is 160, the literature I think says 172 before abt 1972 when they went to 220usgal or 222....reason I ask is that I can't be certain we've got 172 gal in our sportfish 1963, and wonder whether it's a bit lighter. Surely they wouldn't have different fuel tanks in Expresses to the rest would they?

John,

Welcome to The Mean Team

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you've got a 63 Sportsfisherman, you have a 160 tank. I have a 64 or 65 Sportsfisherman hull# 31-382 and I found out the hard way. Keep her topped off. Walter
nic

Post by nic »

Thanks Walter,

That would explain a lot. We've never come close to running dry but I just knew we weren't getting accurate "fill" figures, until now. So, they went 160g, 172g then 220g....anyway for our long trips we will use a bladder of some sort...another post another time.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Talking about the fuel tanks.........I just finished removing the deck from my 1966 Express. On the top of my tank an ID tag that is still in very good shape.

It states that the tank is 180 gallons with a 1/4'' wall thickness and dated 1/27/66.

I can post pics this upcoming weekend if anyone is interested

Harry
hb
tippers

31 Express "owl"

Post by tippers »

More facinating and exceedingly interesting info:

Now discovered engines 270 HP 6BTA5.9MI built 1998 with 490Hours,just run in

Fuel tank label shows 120US Gals!! wow dangerous.No guage only dip.Will have to check MPG.

Boat built 6/25/62 number 31-248

The engines have Airsep filters and dual Racors.

Well seem to have got me a flying shed this boat needs serious therapy but in runs great except I lost an engine in the gulf and found algae.What do you guys consider the best addative.

What a way to spend your time messing with old boats eh.If only my wife would see it that way!

Tippers
I had the tank cleaned and re fueled.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I would recommend a regular diet of a product called Bio-Bor. One oz. for every 40 gallons is the usual maintenancs regimen after "shock" treatment. Your cleaning of the tank may not necessitate the shock part. As far as your MPG is concerned, you can expect about 1.5 Miles per gallon with the engines you have as long as you dont go beyond cruise. 200 under WOT on those engines if you're properly propped. I'm surprised your tank reads 120 gallons because mine, another early model (31-382) has a 160. Walter