More about fish

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

More about fish

Post by Brewster Minton »

Other safety hazards that is wide spread and common in certain seafood products are Marine Toxins. Marine biotoxins that are associated with marine fin-fish can not fully be destroyed by normal cookoing, freezing, salting, acidification or smoking process.

One toxin that is common is Scombroid toxin(Histamine). Histamine poisoning is caused by eating certain fish of certain species that has been spoiled by bacteria. These bacteria produce an enzyme that naturally reacts with the fishes flesh to produce histamine. Fish species can include tuna, mahi mahi, bluefish, ardines amberjack and mackerel. Histamine can not be killed or eliminated by cooking or canning. Histamine forming bacteria usually grow rapidly only at higher temperatures. At 90F unsafe levels of histamine can appear within six hours. Because of these conditions it is of utmost importance to remove heat rapidly from freshly harvested fish of the certain species labeled. The fish should be kept at low temperatures until prepared for comsumer use. Particularly for larger fis such as tuna, that can take a long time to cool, special precautions and equipment might be required for rapid heat removal. I will go over how to kill tuna in my next post.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I'll take a pass at the next shusi bar. Thanks for ths heads up.

My daugther, Bridget, an Executive Chef with Nestles food service will NOT eat shusi because she says she dosen't know how it was handled.

But at the UVI maybe four yrs ago, the tuna shusi when mixed in the stomach with Johnny Walker Blach seemed to kill everything ... damn near me too!
A/K/A El Gaupo
randall

Post by randall »

that was some of the best tuna ever..i/4 inch slice of bread size slices rolled up with wasabi......i had to walk away for i hurt myself.....at least i was pretty sure it was fresh and how it was handled
RussP

Post by RussP »

Linda & I still talk about that Sushi Fest. Randall I'm sure glad you wondered into the green water.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

That was good...until I got into the Fatal Shot stuff that the Africans brought....still have most of a bottle in the freezer at the camp, now and then I think about taking a shot, but its sort of lot getting sick on quamquats, takes a while for that to wear off, some 60 years and counting for me.

The fresh tuna sushi at the TSL in the afternoon is pretty good too.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic-Keep the stuff in case you have a power failure at the camp. I'm sure it will work in a Coleman lantern or kerosine lamp. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

How would you have people remember you by?

Died drouling and crapping yourself in the bed at a nice old age but was too senile to remember who you were or,

Died eating raw fish, drinking up a storm while fishing the UVI with good friends.

Me, I choose #2.

Besides it wasn't the sushi on that trip to worry about. It was the gators and snakes swimming in the same water you were wading in. Not to mention the spider that bit me.

Last trip to Jamaica did some diving for Conch.

Brought them up to the boat, knocked the slit in the shell. Cut the meat out and with some lime juice went to town. Capt, wife and I thought a women from Jersey was gonna pass out watching us eat.
randall

Post by randall »

i couldnt even get within six inches of the "fatal shot"...let alone drink it................there were a few times that day things got a little sketchy....but i never thought i was gonna die.......to quote marshall "dont worry about the water....the boat can take anything...its the lightning"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Better cherish that last bit of drink.

If Zuma beats the corruption charges as he did the rape charge and "Africanizes" the country like he wants to and succeeds as leader of South Africa's ruling party, the only thing that will come out of that *hit hole will be aids.

Feel real bad for our S. African Bertram pals.
capy

Post by capy »

I got scromboid poisoning real bad about 2 years ago.

Blues fin tuna steak seared at a top dollar restaraunt.....skin turned as red as a lobster and I itched everywhere....drank half a bottle of benydrl and all was well.

Last summer a Guy on my dock caught a 135lb bluefin and was given out 10 pound zip lock baggies of super fresh shashimi......called timmy but he never called back...ate it with 6 other friends and washed it down with Kettle one martinis with anchovie stuffed olives....that was living!!

I remember at UVI 3 me timmy ,raliegh and I think randall, were challenging one another with larger and larger shots of the fatal shot.......Uncle Vic walks up and say, "I'll show you pussies how to do it!!!"

hoists the bottle to his lips and chugged about 1/4 of the bottle......

I think this was the night before Hollis sung redneck romance...

This is a good thread.
randall

Post by randall »

not me...i wasnt foolin...i literally could not get to within six inches of the stuff before my eyes started burning.....did however pig out on the tuna that marshall and randy caught
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Wife caught the scomb. from some sushi. We were at this classical music fund raiser deal later. Black tie event. Covered in hives.

She is scratching like a flee infested dog. The sound of 10 fingernails scratching over pantyhose covered legs continuously for like 2 hours - seemed like forever - is a sound neither I nor those sittting near us will ever forget.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Hey Brewster,
What's the funk that jambs up my hands after cutting butterfish. Even bleach doesn't take the pain away.
Get the same thing after dong the collar thing. Takes like 2 days to show up then the skin starts to peal and get tender.
Come on Doc What it is!!!!!!
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

JP, there are about 20 differant bad things you could get from the butterfish. If you did not go to the er it was one of 5 things. butterfish must be handled with gloves and I think the collar thing is you have already got the butterfish germs on your hands.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

All right I got it now.
I'll keep the gloves on while cuttin bait. If I still get the funk I drink the dreaded "one shot" elixer to detoxify.
If that doesn't work I'm findin you for an herbal remedy.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"