Buddy Boy Teak Trim Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Buddy Boy Teak Trim Question

Post by JohnV8r »

In the photo below of Buddy Boy's cabin area there is curved teak trim that holds the cushions in place. How do you make/where do you get that kind of trim. I see it on all kinds of boats. Did Capt. Patrick steam and bend each piece to fit or is it pre-bent teak that is available somewhere?

If anyone knows where to get that kind of trim or how to make it, I would greatly appreciate you passing the information on to me.

Thanks in advance.

Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

The straight sections of teak edge molding is available through better ship's stores and some hardwood suppliers. On "Buddy Boy" the corner moldings, both inside & outside corners were carved to meet the different radius' that I needed. I shapped them from large slabs of teak, no steam bending at all.

The same company that makes the straight moldings also makes inside and outside radius moldings but only in one fixed radius.

Online you might try Shipstore.com

For the straight pieces just search their site under "teak moldings"

I've never purchsed from them and this link is NOT an endorsement of shipstore.com...

Br,

Patrick
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Patrick,

That is truly amazing that you carved the trim down from blocks of teak. How did you do that? The only thing I can think is using a band saw to trim/shape from the block and then setting up a jig on a router. That's the kind of work I thought only I was crazy enough to do.

Thank you very much for the link.

John
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Large hole saws for the initial radius, (cut the outside radius first, then the inside radius), done on the drill press. Rabbet cut with plunge router, with the workpiece jigged into a clamp. Taper scribed & sanded in. Not all that difficult...

Br,

Patrick
CaptDana

new twist

Post by CaptDana »

I had my bulkhead custom windows done on a CNC machine---saved a lot of time--trim is not done yet--but-- Most likely back on the CNC--
\
Capt Dana
Dana Bonney