ny boat show

Post by randall »

anyone go...going?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Friday Im going to try and go
Dug

Post by Dug »

Looks like I will be there sometime over the coming weekend.

I don't yet know which day.

Dug
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

trying for friday
JK

Post by JK »

Passing on NY but planning on the ACNJ show.

--JK
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i will be there thurday.leave word at oakdale yacth (jupiter boats) display they will contact me.
Brewster Minton

Going Friday afternoon into the evening. If any of you go at the same time call me 631 457 2587 I would love to meet up.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Ill be there Saturday!!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Brewster Minton

Went to the show friday afternoon till about 730pm. It was dead. Maybe two hundred people in the whole place besides sales people. Saw the 36 Bertram and looked all over it. Nice but for 600,000.00 It was not that nice. The sales people there, once they found out I had a 31 Bert, walked away. I dont think they dig people with 42 year old boats. It was better than hanging at the house but not by much. The Yanmar people were very nice and helpfull with any questions I had.
ed c.

NY Boat Show

Post by ed c. »

Brewster, i went to that show about 7 or 8 years ago and it looked like the only boats they were showing were cocktail boats with a foreign accent. For me it's the AC show in early Feb. Probably the 2nd best show in the USA. Miami is still No. 1.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I was there on Saturday with my cousin from New Jersey, who also mates for me. Unlike Friday, it was busy. The $660,000 Bertram was visited and my cousin quickly observed, "this ain't no fishing boat". No way you can walk around to the bow as there is nothing to hold on to for at least 8 feet from the cockpit. No hand rails along the sides at all. The nearest thing is a vertical tower support. The outriggers can only be let down by climbing to the top of the tower. Gotta go back up to lock them when you put them up. Not nice on a rough-ish day. Our 31 cockpits are bigger. Too much stuff near the helm area to bump into in a "fish-on" situation. My opinion.
On the other hand, as you were approaching the show entrance, there was a beautifully restored red B-20 Moppie on a trailer in the lobby. It was done by Mack Boring in New Jersey. Yamaha diesel with Bravo 3 outdrive. Very nice. No one near it to ask any questions of.
You'd never think there was a fuel issue looking at several "Midnight Expresses" with FOUR 300 hp outboards on their sterns.
A lot more bow thrusters on single engine, and even outboard boats.
A few interesting things like jet powered surfboards and kayaks as well as a whacko but beautifully done Dolphin boat. Lie inside on your belly with your hands on two joy sticks that manipulate each of the four moveable fins and I expect the throttle. The nearby video screen showed one in operation doing jumps, rolls, flips, etc. It has a propeller below the horizontal tail that generates 9 hp, but the thing really flew! Don't know if you could get out of it easily-emergency or not. I sure as hell couldn't.
Would be interested to know what the exhibitors at the show did in sales as opposed to other years. Walter
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

walterk wrote:I was there on Saturday with my cousin from New Jersey, who also mates for me. Unlike Friday, it was busy. The $660,000 Bertram was visited and my cousin quickly observed, "this ain't no fishing boat". No way you can walk around to the bow as there is nothing to hold on to for at least 8 feet from the cockpit. No hand rails along the sides at all. The nearest thing is a vertical tower support. The outriggers can only be let down by climbing to the top of the tower. Gotta go back up to lock them when you put them up. Not nice on a rough-ish day. Our 31 cockpits are bigger. Too much stuff near the helm area to bump into in a "fish-on" situation. My opinion.
I got underneath the boat to look at the running gear (Struts and shaft). Was not impressive to me.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Walter - I also saw that Moppie. When I was there on Friday they had handouts in front with some spec's. 49 knots WOT - pretty decent speeds and looked like a great set up. Was thinking Mike O would like that set up for his Baron but I can't imagine it is cheap! The price was one thing they left off :)
Dug

Post by Dug »

Darn Brew, I had an opposite experience than you!

Walter, sorry I missed you!

I was there with two friends, one of which owns a 28' Bert on Saturday.

We had a great time. Most of the boats are definitely not my crowd, and the Sea Ray booth sales bell must have rung 4-5 times in 3 hours. Good for them!

The 36 was a surprise, as I didn't expect to see her there. The only "real" boat at the show as far as I was concerned for what we do, unless you like Luhrs. the rest were Whalers and grady's. Nothing wrong with them, but not my style as I have a 31! The guys from Bertram were great to me. Joe, the northeast rep spoke with me for quite a while, and shared many grins and interesting news. Seems Joe Bubenzer has left Bertram as the CEO and moved back to NC. His 31 is still at the yard however and it appears that he left on good terms. I also saw a guy I know from Marine Max who I met a few years ago at the Norwalk show who owns a 31. I doubt anyone got the cold shoulder from him! He was kind enough to hold up all traffic on the 36 so he could open the engine hatch for me to take a peek at the muscle under the deck. Well done. I hate to admit it, I like the 36. I cannot afford it, despite what Timmy says, but I do like her. I would like to see how she rides. But then again, I thought the Mochi Craft was cool too, but much more suited to cruising! Uhuh.

I was disappointed that the docking demo was not active, the show was jammed, and I saw the dolphin fish boat as well. Cool as heck!

My buddy came real close to buying a 33' Fountain which has a great layout, and a nice set up. I have to say that as I have been very impressed by another friends 38' Fountain CC.

Walter, the fuel economy is not as bad as you think. You are able to cruise at 40 plus miles an hour at 30-35 gph. Yes that is hefty, but you are there a hell of a lot faster. My buddie's fountain would put us at the canyon in 1.5 hours in the right weather, burning just a touch over what I burn, and to be honest, it is a hell of a good ride in less than ideal weather. For the good. His boat is amazing.

Would I choose one? No, but in the right application, and for what a lot of people want, the triple outboard set up is not stupid. The 33' Fountain my friend looked at burns the same fuel as his 28' Bertram, but cruises at 40 plus knots. Something to think about. For those who are fair weather boaters, it works. And both the Midnight Express, and Fountain will get you home in the crap weather. Ideal, no, but it will get you home too.

I love my 31, and have no plans to trade to something other wise, but I do see the appeal. And I am glad I had a different experience at the show. And as Walter said, the show was JAMMED!

And the 24' moppie was cool!!!!

D
Carl

Post by Carl »

Walter, I think everybody today just wants more. They cram so much "Stuff" into boats you can't move without bumping into something. Builders don't have a choice cause if their 25' cuddy doesn't have a Microwave, shower and hot water they move over to the next boat line which does. A bigger boat just means they have to put more stuff in it then they have in the 25'er's to justify costs to buyers moving up.

I am kind of a throwback to the older days where less is more. Give me a Good Hull, Good Engines, fishing space, some storage space, good access around the boat with handholds, a VHF, depthfinder, compass and I'm set for 90% of my time on the water.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

AMEN!
Dug

Post by Dug »

SIM, I agree with you! And Walter, I agree with you too!

But that 10% is fun to play on other people's toys...

D
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug, don't get me wrong I love the toys and do-dads, I even have a few myself.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am surprised no one mention the geico insurance boot with the dayglow colored gas tubine cat.BOTH of those girls were natural ---------------------------------wow got a picture with a hand on them.