Cleaning/preparing original fiberglass fuel tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

Cleaning/preparing original fiberglass fuel tank

Post by Face »

I've been working on restoring a B28 that I purchased in Charleston, S.C. about 2 years ago. I am now ready to clean the fuel tank and run new fuel lines for 2 cummins 4bt's. Any words of wisdom when it comes to removing the fuel tank sending unit and or pickup tubes for inspection? If you can see the image included...which of these connections should I use and with what type of fuel lines?
-Joe
Face

Post by Face »

Jack

Post by Jack »

You'll need one line for each engine. Use the blue fuel line. I think 3/8" will be large enough. Add shutoff valves between the pickup and the lines. You need to shutoff the fuel when changing racors. You are also going to need return lines from each engine. Check at the front of the tank, along the centerline, there may be a plate there for the returns. Good luck with the repower.
unabashed hyena lover
Face

Post by Face »

Thanks Jack, but I think there ARE two exisiting copper fuel return lines. They are on the plate on the port side of the tank, or bottom of the 1st image. Should I run new return lines to this fitting or should I run them somewhere else? Should I remove any of these pickup tubes, valves, fuel tank sending unit and scrap them? Should I clean the fuel tank via access from these fittings? Should I run my two new fuel lines from the fitting in the top of the image (starboard side), or from the main large copper tubing coming out of the larger fitting (port side)?

The whole problem for me is that I bought this boat in disrepair and don't know how everything is "supposed" to be hooked up. Does anyone know anything about this boat? It was named Weedline, Georgetown, S.C. I purchased it from a broker, the owner had passed away...I have tons of pictures from day one and of the entire restoration process thus far.
-Joe
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Replace all of the lines and fittings. The bronze tank plates and fittings should be reusable. Have them bead blasted or you can soak them in a mild muiriatic acid solution to clean them. I don't think it matters where the return lines come back into the tank, but others with more experience can respond to that question.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Joe
You sure came to the right place to get answers. No matter what you are doing we are all ready to share our ideas and experiences.

I too will soon be facing this same task. I seem to recall that one of our faithful kept having problems getting air in the fuel system. If my memory serves me correctly the air would not get into the fuel system if the owner would turn off the return line and supply valves at the end of each trip.

I believe that the fix was to install a tube (like a pickup tube) on the tank return fitting so that the fuel was returned back to the bottom of the tank.
This would prevent the possibility of air entering the system from the return line while the boat sits idle in the slip.

Harry
hb
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Joe,

Removing the sending unit is easy, 5 screws. If your going to clean the tank this is your best access unless you remove the plate that it sits on, read larger hole. Then you'd have to make a gasket for it. The tank is baffled so you won't be able to get complete access to the entire tank.

I would do away with the copper lines and use CG approved fuel hose on both the pick up's and return's. From the pic it doesn't look like you have shut off vavles at the pick up, you need them. The pick up would be the hex fitting to starboard.

The sending unit is probably junk but thats easy to replace down the line.

If you'd like I can take a pic of the set up on my B28 and e-mail it. Don't have it on the puter.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

That copper line is the tank vent line. I believe you may be able to use the existing plug on the fuel out bung for return lines. This is not the best solution as each line should have it's own return.
Face

Post by Face »

Thanks guys for all your help. I think I've got it figured out now, I forgot about the vent tube...So it will be vent tube and return lines on the port fittings, and fuel pickup on the starboard fittings. It looks to me like there are fuel shutoff valves on the starboard fittings, minus the handles. Maybe this weekend I can take it all apart to begin cleaning it up and hooking up new lines.
-Joe