Rudder Bearing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Rudder Bearing

Post by Carl »

I have often wondered about that bearing on the rudder. I have seen it on a few 31's and not on others, mine for instance does not have one.

Did they come stock with the bearing up top? Was mine changed out sometime during its life? What is the benefit to the bearing? Seems like more of a problem then a benefit. I redid mine with a bronze flange bearing to replace the washer that was there. Seems simpler(sp?)...
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The B28 style rudder has the rudder arm below the rudder table and the bearing on top while the B31 style has the rudder arm on top. The bearing is to keep the rudder stock from flopping around. Max Wax on the bearing will keep it from rusting....HD CX works too.

UV
Carl

Post by Carl »

UV, I understand the reason for the bearing arrangement, same reason I made up a flanged bronze bushing and installed in a similiar fashion. I just don't get the advantage to using a Steel Ball Bearing there. Maybe a bit less vibration, slightly easier to turn, but the disadvantage is they are a pain to remove unless they have been maintained. Install a new rudder and you have a hell of a time at install since the SS shafts come oversize, I have had a few sieze up on some customers, of course had they been maintained...

Just curious of advantages...
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

I took two square pieces of 1/2" HDPE and drilled a hole thru both a thousandth or so smaller than the rudder shaft ID. I mounted them on the top and bottom of the rudder shelf, filling the void with grease. The rudder is supported with a big stainless washer and shaft collar.

It's been installed for at least 7 years with no corrosion and no deformation of the holes due to wear. It even held up to an impact during Katrina that bent both SS rudders at 20 degree angles.

There is a fine line between "custom" and "Jerry rigged", but hey...