Windows winter project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Windows winter project

Post by John F. »

Winter projects are underway. Got both side windows and frames out yesterday. Took the headliner down, both mid-front windows out, the plexi side windows out, and cleaned up the front aluminum frames.

Hope everyone had a happy New Year.

John F.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John
As you know thats quite a chore but the reward in the end is well worth it.
Keep us posted

Harry
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

I'll try to get some pics. this weekend for anybody else that's thinking about it. I was going to get a Holmsey insert, but decided that since I use my B31 as a Cheasapeake Bay boat, and troll her, it'd be nice to have the forward windows to see out of while I'm standing in the cockpit.

I'm also going to try to make my own frames for the side windows out of marine-ply/epoxy/glass. I'd go frameless, but I don't want to paint the boat yet. I'll see how it goes.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
Are you just cleaning up the old frames and putting them back in. I have been thinking of doing what Capt.Patrick did and just glass in the curve windows and new sold for the sides.
Would love to see pic's.
Happy New Year.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
John F.

Post by John F. »

Cpt. Frank-

I'm cleaning up the front frame. I've filled the bigger holes, etc. with JB Weld per Capt. Pat's instructions. I did that late summer, early fall, and its held up fine (no cracks). I'm going to have to through-bolt the curved side window outside trim to the frame. I like Capt. Pat's solution of completely glassing over the front frames, but I just don't want to do that much work....this'll be enough.

John F.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
I like it also. I was just woundering what you were doing. You have done a great job in the cabin. I don't think I'll get to that big of a project this year. I am renovating my house and its taking up all my time. So maybe feb-march can get back to work on the boat.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA