Experiences with Boatpix.com?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sean B

Experiences with Boatpix.com?

Post by Sean B »

Yesterday I was on a day cruise to nowhere during an awesome 82 degree Florida afternoon, and we got buzzed very low by a helicopter with floats that had the Boatpix.com name on them.

I've always wanted one of those aerial photos of my Bertram. Thing is, their policy seems a bit suspicious: you send in a request for photos, and they mail you what they have via UPS. If you don't want them for their stated price, you have to return them within 10 days, or you automatically agree to pay their asking price. Whatever that may be. They don't tell you so you don't know how much they want until you receive the photos.

I started filling out a request form, but after reading all the legal mumbo jumbo in their Terms and Conditions... I’m not so sure that I want to agree to all their terms. They own the photo, and all you bought was a copy of it.

"BOATPIX.com grants Customer the right to privately display the Work at Customer's home or business."

That's it. You can't copy it, scan it, or even post the photo on a website without running the risk of getting sued about it.

So… does anybody have any actual experience with them? I wonder if they will negociate. If I pay good money for their photo, I want the right to do whatever I want to with the image.

Any shared experiences will be greatly appreciated.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I would have thought that since it is your boat you would have the rights to however it was displayed. If it is identifiable as yours whats the difference between the boat and a picture of lets say you?
I know a guy that sued a magazine for using his picture without permission, and won.
Whats the difference between a picture of your boat or a picture of you?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

JP Dalik wrote:I would have thought that since it is your boat you would have the rights to however it was displayed. If it is identifiable as yours whats the difference between the boat and a picture of lets say you?
I know a guy that sued a magazine for using his picture without permission, and won.
Whats the difference between a picture of your boat or a picture of you?

I would suppose that agreeing to their terms might negate those options, as you are essentially agreeing that the images belong to them. It's a "catch 22," you have to agree to the terms to even see the pics. I'm sure that like most everything, it's only a matter of money to get full rights to the pictures. Question is, how much...

I was just putting around at 8 knots when they came by. I tried to wave them back to us as I got up on plane for another pic, but they flew away. So I'm not sure I even want pics of us just putting aroung in the Indian River anyway.

But if they were to catch me in rough blue water, on plane with the Lee's extended, with spray flying everywhere... I'd be willing to pay a lot for that
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

I've bought several pictures from them and it's a pretty straightforward deal. They own the copyrighted photos so you have to pay them, but if you don't like them, just send them back and don't pay. They've been doing this a long time and have always been easy to deal with in my book.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Boatpix photos are top quality. I have bought from them on 2 occasions and been very satisfied with the results both times. Check out the photos for free. Keep what you like and get charged for that. Return the whole package and you don't get charged. Sometimes, you can reach them on the phone and work out a discount......I did on both occasions. It usually involves printing a poster size photo, but what could be better than a poster of the best boat ever built, hanging somewhere on your wall?
Harv
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well you guys have heightened my curiousity now........what does the average package actually cost????

Several years ago a guy came in my shop with an aerial photo of my shop. I believe as I remember the cost was $250 for a single print about 16x20

Harry
hb
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I have pics from them of a June tourny. Great shots. There were four in the pkg. I took two and sent the other two back. The charge was $400.00 US.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Harry Babb wrote:Well you guys have heightened my curiousity now........what does the average package actually cost????
From the FAQ's section of their website:

Question: How much do pictures cost ?

Answer: Helicopters are expensive and the cost is recovered in the pictures. Our least expensive picture is a huge 16”x20” color picture, about the size of a 25” TV for $250 or three for $500. These are SUPER high quality portraits that are more like art work. We remove stains, barnacles, blemishes and fenders from your boat and make it look like new. For slightly more, you can also buy the digital files which are suitable for publication in any magazine on the planet.

(I wonder how often they photograph barnacles from a helicopter?)

Question: How much more are the digital files ?

Answer: $500 for one file. $750 for two files and $1000 for all the files. If you don’t need the files, just buy a picture. If you want to make a brochure, shirts, advertisements, sell the boat or lots of pictures you’ll need the digital files. If you buy the files we’ll make you pictures at 90% off our retail so you can take advantage or our color knowledge. Please contact us directly for more information at: 561.798.9850.

So that answers the question about getting the digital files for other uses, if not about the ownership of the images. Based on your postive recommendations I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks for the input
John Brownlee

Post by John Brownlee »

It's worth it. The only other way you would ever get helicopter shots of your boat is to hire a chopper and photographer on your own, and that would cost you a LOT more. And they do take great shots. I have two of them hanging right here on my wall above my desk.
Carl

Post by Carl »

It was the first year I had the 31, I was headed home from a week of R&R at Fire Island. Boat was loaded up with beach gear and empty coolers, made our way thru the Great south Bay, navigated thru the fleet of fishing boats blocking the channels of the Fire Island Inlet and now in the open ocean. Clear running all the way home, what a relief. About half an hour later my wife decides to take the helm, so I find a nice cold beer, put my feet up on the helm of our Express and get back to relaxing. All of a sudden the boat shutters, thump..thump.. thump...I jump up..." what the&**&!! is that" I rush to the gauges...nothing "what you hit!!" go to look in engine compartment and what seemed like a hundred feet behind the boat is a chopper running sideways snapping pictures. It couldn't have been more then 20-30 feet off the water. Scared the living sh&% out of me.

They just waived and took off...I'm sure they laughed their butts off, had to be some great shots though.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

We sometimes anchor on the "Midnite Lump" some 17 miles offshore out of SW Pass Louisiana in 200 feet of water, to chum . Twice we've have F18's and once F14's buzz us with the first run some 50 feet over the water right beside you coming from the front when you, of course, are looking astern. I have great videos of them passing again and again for 15 minutes and climbing to 10,000 feet it seems right over you, then high G, tight turns around you and when they pass low again you can see the pilot looking at you. You know he was laughing his ass off. That initial chest thumping power sound leaves you gasping until you brain figures out what the racket is.
Belle Chase Naval Air Station is right below N'Awlins. We've also been to their air shows many times.
Then there was the time with Doc, Ric and Moonie when a copter buzzed us off Florida while I was "trolling" over the transome. He sent the pix to Doc.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Harv, working a discount, on both occasions???? Do tell..............
randall

Post by randall »

andre....on a surf trip to santa cruz island off the coast of santa barbara i was alone on a 19 foot sailboat leaning back against the mast reading a book...something caught my attention and i peered over the top of the book..........to see a fighter headed right at me maybe 30 feet off the water and maybe 100 yards away.........could see the pilot plain as day as he passed maybe 25 feet over the mast,,,,,scared the shit out of me...almost literally...very loud when you're on the aft end........i never got the pictures
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

We get the same thing off of Barnegat. They use us for target practice runs and sometimes I think to see who the can scare the @#$! out of. Tony Meola
John F.

Post by John F. »

Doug C. and another friend of mine have gotten pics. of their boats running, and the pics. look great.

I haven't used boatpix, but I've found that the DC Gov't will send you pics. of your car for only $100 if you drive NY Ave. at certain speeds. The pics. aren't the best quality, and DC didn't give me an option of whether to accept or mail back though....
Mack

Post by Mack »

I have purchased from boatpix twice, most recently back in October. I actually purchased 3 of the 4 shots they took this time around because they turned out so good.

John F.- That speed trap on NY Ave. really sucks. Easy to speed if you hit it on an off-traffic time. Watch out for the red light cameras on the other side of the speed trap as well!!!
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Harv

Post by Harv »

thuddddddd wrote:Harv, working a discount, on both occasions???? Do tell..............
Timmy,

some day ...if you are a good boy...I will teach you the art of "Jewing down".
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

John F. wrote:Doug C. and another friend of mine have gotten pics. of their boats running, and the pics. look great.

I haven't used boatpix, but I've found that the DC Gov't will send you pics. of your car for only $100 if you drive NY Ave. at certain speeds. The pics. aren't the best quality, and DC didn't give me an option of whether to accept or mail back though....
John,

got the same thing all over NY City for red lights. The only good thing about it is they can't prove who was driving, henceforth, no points on your license.
Harv