Thermoglide Transmissions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dorado

Post by Dorado »

I just joined Bertram31 as I have been following the thread on these transmissions.

These transmissions were developed by A GM engineer in conjunction with Bertram and Ray Hunt back in the late sixties.They only made a few as they were prototypes. They were revolutionary, increased performance and reduced GPH....they were also very sturdy and reliable.

However, there was a patent dispute which developed into a lawsuit which lasted 15 years.....during which time, production stopped. After the suit was settled, a San Diego engineering firm emerged with the patent and recently started redevelopment of the concept. Their major problem is that they cannot locate any of the original prototypes.....they will apparently pay significant dollars to acquire one.

From this website, I read that one of your members have a pair....if they will please contact me......I will put them in touch with the engineering firm.
Boatbert

Post by Boatbert »

I have a pair of Thermoglides in my 31 Bahia Mar......I would consider selling them.....how much are they worth?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bert,

Supply & demand... In this case you have the supply and the demand is being presented. On this case I'd say that the cost of removing your transmissions plus the cost of a new set of transmissions of your choice, plus the cost of installing the new transmissions plus the cost of any incidental required expenses involved in the re-fit, (oil, sea trial, shaft alignment, props, shafts, etc.), is the fair market value of your current transmission.

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Dorado

Thermoglide transmissions

Post by Dorado »

I think you're talking 7 figures.

This firm has investors that have ponied up over $5,000,000 to develop this transmission and haven't yet seen a prototype! If they can get an existing prototype.....it would leapfrog their production by at least a year and save them millions.

This variable transmission concept has revolutionary applications for the commercial marine industry.....specifically for hydrofoil & catamaran ferries as well as tugs. They have determined that there is a huge market for an advanced design of this type.

Let me know if you're interested and where and when the boat can be inspected(it might be more practical for them to buy the entire boat).

Private message me with your phone# and/or your email address.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The existing systems use a variable pitch prop and are waaaaay expensive vs. using a variable ratio gear.

Go for a million.....I'll be happy to be your human torpedo.

UV
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Don't want to derail the thread, but how well do the thermoglides work?
Carl

Post by Carl »

I believe for the purpose here they work real good :wink:
nic

Post by nic »

If Boatbert gets his brick, they work!

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Go for a million but if they want the Bertram its 2 million. Good luck
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have posted information on the spectra catamran before it is the fastest fishing boat i have ever drove .i just want to be specific this transmisisson only would benifit this 32'cat with twin 440hp yannmars.will do about 30mph in first gear with a hale of black smoke shift into 2nd and take that to 60mph and cruise at 72mph with wot at 102mph.the benifit is do to the fact that the cat does not "pop" on plane it rises out of the water the faster it acelerates, until there is a small piece of each sponson in the water thus wet area is nil so the 1to1 ratio in final gear is perfect but the boat could never get on plane in first gear.i feel in a 31bertram with a 330hp 454 mercruser very little advantage would be gained with a variable speed trans.a two speed trans like the powerglide could be had for 150.00 and a trans cooler adapted from a b/w trans.i put 845hp to that trans. at 9000rpm far more then the 330hp mercruiser puts out.this would be a good experiment with diesel power however dorado`s purpose is at the commercial level with catamaran or hydrofoil i would think this old tech. thermoglide would self destruck under 500hp or more.
Boatbert

Thermoglide Transmission

Post by Boatbert »

I,m the member with the Thermoglides......the boat,engines and transmissions are all 1969 with only 900 hours on them.

The Thermoglides work great......at 3000RPM, I,m doing 23kts.......I hit the overdrive switch and it does 27-28kts at the same RPMS. It tops out at 42-43kts and from what I hear from other members, I burn
20% less fuel.

And.....they've never been in the shop!