6 bta,s

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ

6 bta,s

Post by Russ »

I'm currently repowering my 31 FBC with Cummins 6bta's. Carver 's boat works in Point Pleasant, N.J. is doing the conversion. The engines are rated at 260 HSP@2600 rpm. Does anyone know what kind of speed I can expect out of this setup? Is 2600 the pins for these engines? Also what is meant by continuous duty or intermitant duty, and how can you tell what the engines are? The engines are remans. Also what can I expect to burn at cruise with a loaded boat? U.V. these might be questions you could answer as I think you have the same setup in AJ! thanks to all in advance! Russ
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Russ, I do have the same set up on AJ. Mine are 1989 6BTA 250's (same engines, now rated 260) rated at 2600 rpm. Great engines with almost zero problem histroy. You need to prop them to reach 2650 at a full load (load does not seem to bother them at all tho). I have 1.5 ZF gears and 21 x 22 three blade nibrals with no cup. I cruise all day at 2400 and show 24.5 kts regardless of load. Don't worry about the continous load or whatever, in a B31 it does not matter as they are pretty light boats, say 13,000 # with those engines. The book says don't run them more than one hour out of eight on the pins, but none of us ever do that except in an emergency. You can expect about 27-28 kts wide open and an easy 24-25 kt cruise at about 16 gph total. In my biased view the best engine for the Best Boat Ever Built.

UV
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thanks UV for your always usefull info! Very much appreaciated. Good luck with your interior. Russ
Davidr0007

Diesels are making more sense everyday

Post by Davidr0007 »

The more fuel cost increases the closer I get to a diesel conversion.Right now it's almost double the cost to own a gasser. with 50 % more range from a diesel( 225mi / 230 gal tank gas as opposed to 350mi/230 gal tank)..This becomes simple math if one wants to continue full use of your boat without second thoughts of cost. The old argument of one doesn't use his boat enough to make up the cost difference of the engine conversion.. Time to start rethinking this...?? Crunch your numbers..Also think about resale values!!!
DavidR
kurekke

Post by kurekke »

Russ,

I have same engines in my 31B and very pleased with the economy, performance, quietness of these engines. You made a good decision on the re-power and picking Carver for the install. Chris has done some work on my boat. He does excellent work at a fair price.

Good Luck,

Ken

"KERRI - K"
F I S H O N
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Russ,

If you are having the engines done this season I'll be out as well. Chris is yanking the motors out of Chimera and we are doing some deck and bulkhead work to finish her off. As far as local knowledge of these boats I can't think of anyone better, the group a Carver's is among the best. See you over the colder season.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I'm getting the same engines in mine at the same place (HMS Hound) and by everything I have heard and everything I've seen we couldn't be in better hands than at Carver's. Capt Vic's summary is the same thing Chris told me, what two different Cummins dealers have told me, and what I've been told by several other proud 270 B owners. Last week I had the good fortune to fish on one with 250's and to pilot it and it ran like a dream. To say I can't wait to get back in the saddle is the understatement of the year. Next time you are at the yard stop over and say hello. I'll be the one covered with gel coat dust.