December Fishing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

December Fishing

Post by JP Dalik »

So I pull out of the lagoon this afternoon to go Toggin, make the left get Chimera up on plane and the first thing I see comin down the bay is a B31 a friend of mines boat (Frank P's boat looking better than ever) get a phone call from another friend (Neil) B31 gives me a call with the update on Striper fishin. Get offshore to one of the local reefs run into Neil's other boat B25 fishin get the report and then the wind starts blowin (like 20 NW) just crappy enough not the set the hook.
Run up to North to 40ft of water (indside of the wind) set the hook on a little pile of rock and start catching the togs. First keeper on the boat caught by my son. Yeah team!!! Long story short, fish a short afternoon catch 9 keeper tog to 6lbs. Eat a nice warm fish chowder before pullin the hook (thanks Capt. Neil) and come home with fish for momma.
Doesn't get any better than this.
I'm always amazed it doesn't matter what time of year you'll always find a Bertram on the water and more then likely if your on this site you know the boat.
Rock on Bertram brothers, keep the lines wet!!!!!
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am going to the fire island reef 12/9 sunday my first attempt at black
fishing.i am using a 975 penn conventional reel and a light action chaos rod with braid.i with start with a hi/lo rig anything else i shoud know? like what is the best bait; hermit crabs,fidler crabs, squid or half a blue claw.
waterk,jp,brewster any other northern 31 brothers can you give me a little clue.-------------bob
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

A December HMS Hound striper, my son's first: Image
Caught it, took the picture then he puked on the ride back. Takes right after the old man.
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Bob, use a stiff rod. Those fish dive into the wreck or rocks and it's time to break the braid. You won't believe the muscle those little bull dogs have.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob-we usually use green crabs because they're easy to get. Break off claws, cut in half, run hook through broken claw hole. Don't use a soft rod as setting the hook in their tough mouths is difficult. You have to set the hook as soon as you feel them. Lift hard at first as they'll dive into structure immediately and hang you up. If the crab half bait is in the water a while, it will be washed out so put on fresh. Hermit crabs are deemed to be the best, but almost impossible to find out east. If you do, they're very expensive. Using the new no-stretch lines is a good choice for Blackfish as they're very sensitive. I would however connect your sinker with a piece of weaker mono so as to have it break off if hung up in the rocky environment Blackfish live in. Good luck! Blackfish fillets make great eating! Don't cook them on the same day as you've caught them. Let the fillets "rest" in the fridge and cook them the next day. Seems the flesh needs to lose a bit of the moisture it holds and doesn't fall apart as it seems to do when heated too soon. Walter
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bob,
Forget about the High Low Rig. Blackfish don't swim up for their food. Keep the hook or hooks at the same level as the sinker. High Low rigs are good for sea bass.
John is correct a med to stiff rod is best. You be using up to 6 ounces depending on conditions. And you could get a stud like 14lbs. You need to get the fishes head turned and coming to you before he can rock or wreck you.Remember you want to feel the bite. Set on the second thump. First thump they crush it second thump they eat it, then set and crank at the same time. If the burgals are around learn to fish through them they'll feel more like vibrations then bites.
Good Luck Tell me how many new cus words you learn.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

speaking of blacks {fish that is }
last year fishing live bait in the inlet, thought i had a bump or got hung up on the mussle beds, lifted the rod and fish on, taking line hummm nice size bass iam saying.got him to the boat put the net down and what the f#@%^$ brought him in to the boat big black had to be 2' long, seems i snaged him in the belly, when i finnally got over the size of him i gave him a kiss on thos big rubber lips and sent her back home, also season was closed, damm
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

jp
bluefin running the beach by us this week 30 50 ft,and moving fast, as every year they have lock jaw.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Haven't seen or heard of them here for 2 weeks. Got the kite and the little livies ready.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

there comming your way, they have been passing thru all week, 100 - 300 class
Harv

Post by Harv »

cwj wrote:jp
bluefin running the beach by us this week 30 50 ft,and moving fast, as every year they have lock jaw.
Brewster mentioned the same thing to me about the bluefins out by him.
Same depth , same size.
Harv
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Yea they saw them yesterday busting. JP get ready their comming your way
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

went to fi reef --nothing,then went to the san diego wreck, a heavy cruiser sunk by the germans in ww1.john jackson was right on the money just plain frustraing they take the green crabs and go back into the wreck so i could cut my line and slammed my fist against against the gunnels.i wish i had posted earlier then i could have taken jp`s advice on the high- low rig all i did was lose two crabs at the same time to bergalls!!! walterk i did read your post before leaving and changed to a stiffer rod.1 black fish for a all day affair two on the boat between 4 guys and the radio blasting bluefin here and bluefin jumping out of the water in front of the inlet in 65' of water!i am in a 28' parker that i just drove to the wreck at 55mph maybe i should i go back and get the phoenix and jump on those bluefin----nay we should stay and killed the togs-------------wrong move!!!!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob-you spent the day dealing with the two most frustrating, but best tasting fish in the sea. Blackfish can make you nuts, as can Bluefin. One bites, but hangs you up, the other breaks all around you, but doesn't bite! Walter