Flybridge Grabrail Removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marshall Mahoney

Flybridge Grabrail Removal

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

How is the grabrail on the horizontal section of the bridge (above the windows -- stb, fwd, and port) removed? The bolts seem to have backing nuts, but I don't see access to them. I don't want to take it off (for painting) if I can't put it back together.

Thanks!
--Marshall
Ric

bridge grabrail

Post by Ric »

You remove the over heads in the head and galley overhead ,,,if you have a flybridge cruiser.,.,.,or if a sportfisherman ,,pull down the overheads and you will have access to the nuts and bolts ,,an easy take of and replacement after you do what it is you want to do
Marshall Mahoney

Removing the ceiling in the cabin gives me access to the grabrail on the vertical section. I removed a light fixture and can reach 1 back-up nut on the horizontal rail. I never relized this before, but the bridge is made in 2 sections. They must have assembled the grabrail prior to putting the 2 sections together. Bummer.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Marshall,

Once you removed the inside ceiling you should have access to all the area's you are asking about, including behind your ltgs.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Marshal,

I see where you're coming from... You rail isn't on the vertical side face of the flybridge, but rather on the sides of the house top.

Other than the rectangular opening for the light fixture, there is no other access to that area of the house top. That leads me to think that the two extreme ends of your grab rails are possibly just held by standard screws rather than through bolts.

If the screws in the end sections don't screw out they may be just stripped. Try removing the one through bolt you can access through the light opening & then put a block of wood under the grab rail, at each end, and pry up on the rail. You may get lucky and have the screw strip out of the fiberglass.

I doubt seriously that Bertram would have pre-assembled the rail before fitting the house top to the inner shell...

Are you going to replace the rail in the same position?

Br,

Patrick
John F.

Post by John F. »

As I remember, I can access that area a little by taking off the lenses and housings to my interior lights. I also have an interior light for the head that I can take out, but I think that was added.

John F.
Marshall Mahoney

Thanks guys. The only bolts with back-up nuts were the ones accessible from the interior light fixture cut-outs. The rest were lag screws. Turns out that this rail was the easiest one to remove! (Sorry I cussed you Bertram).

--Marshall