Raytheon GPS/Loran won't turn off

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Raytheon GPS/Loran won't turn off

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I have one of these on AJ that drives the large digit dash dispay, and recently it won't turn off when you push and hold the power button...it beeps like its gonna turn off but won't. I have to unplug the power cable to get it to quit. When I plug the power cable back in it won't come on until I hit the power button. Otherwise operates normally. I've had some depth finders that had this problem and it was a short in the transducer cable co-ax, but they would come on when you reconnected the power cable.....yeah, I've soaked it with CX already. Have not tried cycling the breaker its on yet, but there are several other toys on the same breaker. AJ gots lots of toys.

Any ideas from the gurus? Pain to disconnect the power cable since it's in the overhead electronics box.

UV
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Drill a hole in the bottom of the RLDT?? Then have th bookie get you a new one?? Failing that a big ass hammer .
Always happy to help UV
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Depending on the model I thought Raytheon used 2 signals for off and one for on.
I would guess you might find one part of that equation not receptive to your input. Depending on the model I'm not sure if its cheaper to to find a new one or replace the key pad (if they still make it) If you can get it apart you may find some corrosion on the printed circuit/ribbon part of the on off button, I don't know how to fix this other than replace it.

What model????

Hell if CX can't fix it I'm not sure what can. I don't recommend Thuddddds direction regardless.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic- I had a similar incident(s) with my earlier Raytheon Radar. It seems that on a vertical installation, any moisture runs down the printed circuit keypad and often creates corrosion which dissables one of the 2-buttons on the Raytheon "off" system. Usually one of the bottom 2 buttonson your unit. If you can take the faceplate off, the printed circuit board is usually a plug in held by 4 screws. I would think CX might do it. My electronics guy went at it with a Q-tip and alcohol. He couldn't cure mine, but since it was an earlier model JRC made Raytheon unit, a replacement board was "not available". I raised such a stink with the service department (forget about calling the parts department), that one of the service guys canibalized another unit and sent me the part for $100. If yours is an older model (JRC made), try Ebay. Walter