Lauderdale show report

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JK

Lauderdale show report

Post by JK »

The flop house just wasn't the same without the 31 crew there but with the Marriott going for 559 a night and the flop house 89 it is still the best deal out there. The weather was pretty bad for the show with showers on Thursday, absolute pouring rain on Friday and more showers on Saturday. Less people this year, probably due to weather and there were a few notables missing, like the 42 Liberty.

The center console boats are just out of control and I can't understand this market. 35' is the norm now and there are several 38' and even the 42' Yellowfin center console was on display. All of these boats have at least 3 outboards and some even 4. Now Yammy has a 350hp outboard and they are hung off of several name brand transoms.

Plenty of Albemarle, Henriques and Carolina Classics to choose from as well. The big boat segment is really impressive and it's sad to admit but Bertram is not at the top of the heap anymore with the production nod going to Viking, unless you count the massive 77' Hatteras. The 41 Bert is nice but certainly isn't a $1.1 million dollar boat. I thought the Ocean Yachts would have been nicer but you can easily tell they are several steps below the Hatts, Bertrams and Vikings. Jersey Cape bought the Cavileer line about 18 months ago and have made several improvements to the 48'er they brought...I still give the best in show the the 36 Jersey Cape, what a well laid out fishing machine but of course it'll set you back over 500K. The new 37 Ocean got a lot of looks and it is a nicely laid out boat, albiet a throwback to the 37 Merritt with the open aft bulkhead.

Best deal in the show is a new 40 Mirage (stretched 37 Bert) for 515K.

People said the new Furuno Navnet 3 is the best out there and the Raymarine G series is impressive too.

I was really surprised at the go fast boat segment with the majority of boats there reaching speeds of 110mph. Best in class was the 50' Nor Tech cat with twin 2000hp turbine engines requiring jet fuel and a cool top speed of 180mph and a price tag of 1.5 Mil. Cigarette had a pretty typical 38' rocket, top speed of 115mph and twin 800 hp mercury engines. Typical engine life is 150hrs and then a rebuild worth 27K per engine!!!!

Being at the show certainly takes you away from reality and pretty soon you believe 600K is nothing for a boat and even 45' is roughing it. Speed is king with the custom boats now cruising in the upper 30 knts and several even boasting 40knt cruise and even rumors of 43knt cruise on 60' boats. Seems the new goal is 50knts WOT with these boats.

Going to the show and seeing all of this makes you (me) pretty damn proud ot have a 31 Bertram. It really is the classic boat of boats.

--JK
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Good report. Seems like either I'm on another planet, or many of the the boat manufacturers are. I live on the eastern end of Long Island, NY so my marina visitations aren't just on weekends. Out at Montauk, where automotive fuel is at least $3.50 for regular, marine diesel is in the $3.60's and marine gasoline close to $4.00, I don't see many of the three-engined outboards ever even out of their slips. The guys with the Million dollar sportsfishermen don't seem to be affected (or give a hoot about) the high cost of fuel, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that there's a real rationnale for triple and quadruple engined 30+ foot center consoled boats where we live. Besides the fuel bill, no place to hide from the weather and sea spray, and no real storage space, there's a handful of days you can run at more than 20 knots without battering yourself and your crew to death. $26,000 for each outboard that has a life of 1000 hours, if your lucky, doesn't seem to make sense. Obviously, I must be wrong...or on the wrong planet. The mathematics of bigger boats to catch less fish stirs up memories of smaller, more efficient, but less well equipped boats catching lots more fish only 30 years ago. We've come a long way, sadly, backwards. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

your not on the wrong planet...just the wrong state.......
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Walter...

Gee.. $26 an hour for an engine (times how many you have hanging on your transom) seems cheap to me! But with an engine life of 1,000 hours and the useable time you have there the 75 mph plus boats will last forever.

Look at what is for sale in 5 years.. you will probably find a lot of these boats on Yachtworld!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I saw some video on TV today of the big surf in FLL and the wind blowing sand a foot deep across A1A in front of our beloved Flophouse. The Bambooshka's coke machine in the parking lot appeared intact. I'm planning to be there next year, let's get the gang together again, good times.

UV
Ric

ft lauderdale

Post by Ric »

U.V I went over to the place to see who was there etc and the place was locked up tight with a no vacancy sign and absolutely no parking spots left in the place ,,,,seems our little flophouse,, was locked up tight ,,,the secret is out about that place ... I think you will be booking very early to get in there next year,.,.,.,.,,,hey we had it for 6 years to ourselves,,all things change
Harv

Re: ft lauderdale

Post by Harv »

Ric wrote:U.V I went over to the place to see who was there etc and the place was locked up tight with a no vacancy sign and absolutely no parking spots left in the place ,,,,seems our little flophouse,, was locked up tight ,,,the secret is out about that place ... I think you will be booking very early to get in there next year,.,.,.,.,,,hey we had it for 6 years to ourselves,,all things change
I'm willing to bet that that was because most of the Faithful that usually go, didn't go this year. If next year turns out to be more like the norm in past years, we should be able to lock it up for ourselves again. I know I'm certainly gonna try to make my first Show next year. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Harv
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Next year for sure. Sun shinning, Lord willing. Yes I'm back form a whammy full strength treatment up in Zion,Ill. It's '' just confined to my liver now and hope is there. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Keep up the good work Capt. Dave!! I know someone who licked liver cancer, so you can do it too!! My prayers are with you.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Thanks Rawleigh. I'm hanging right in there. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Buju

Post by Buju »

Way to go Capt. Kosh, whoop it's ass.
can't keep a ol' salty Bertram Capt. down...

I also have the great displeasure of knowing that treatment center in Zion. Good care though... they do a great job, supposed to be one of the best.

Stay strong, keep fightin', and don't forget to go fishing when you can...
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Dave good luck. Our thoughts are with you and go fishing. Brewster
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Dave,

We've never met even though we are practically neighbors, but I wish you well. You seem like a courageous guy and when you get over this, maybe we can have a beer at Snug Harbor.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Your on Skipper Dick ! I would like that. This has been really a rough one as I had an infection and the stomach virus on top of the cancer in the liver. Then they whammied me with a max dose. Maybe it blow it all out of me but at 23 lbs weght loss I'm opting for my original lighter dose treatment here in Ft. Myers. I'm still determined to kick it in the but as old salts last a long time. DAVE K
Keep Fishing...
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Fight it Dave....you got a lot of guys pulling for you.

UV