New Jersey Diesel mechanic

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CHolgerson

New Jersey Diesel mechanic

Post by CHolgerson »

Hello Faithful,

My brother is looking for a good reputable diesel mechanic to work on his Volvo diesels. The motor are the 41 series (200HP) versions. The boat is located in Brick New Jersey. One the way home from his last canyon run he could not get the motor started. He tried bleeding the fuel system and she would still not fire up. He started limping home on one engine and put the nonrunning engine in gear and then tried starting it and it worked.
Once started the boat ran fine all the way home. Thank you for any help.

Chris Holgerson
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

neutral safety switch?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

JP,

The motor turns over but will not fire up. I thought when the neutral safety switch is engaged the motor will not turn over. Is the switch found on the gear, motor, or controls? Does Carvers have an experienced Volvo Mechanic? Thanks for the reply

Chris
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

That would be my guess also if the motor does'nt turn over. I've had it happen and was able to tap the switch a little and get back. I didn't take a chance it would work a second time so, I replaced it. Took a couple of minuts. Now I carry a spare. You'd think these things would last forever because there isn't much to them.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Carvers uses the local cummins dealer.
The mechanics name is Chuck we get our parts through him, always been nice to deal with.
Give Chris or Libby a call 732 892 0328 they can either schedule the boat at their place or give you Chucks information directly.
Does Volvo use a fuel solenoid?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Chris

If the local guy is too busy, try Forked River Diesel. John Lane is the owner ask for him. They are pretty good and handle both Cummins and Volvo. Tony Meola
Carl

Post by Carl »

You can also try John. He used to take care of a fleet of tugs and commercial vessels for one of my customers. Thats before going out on his own in the Jersey area. I have recommended to several people with great results.

John- 609.276.8601

Tell him you where recommended by Carl at Staten Island Machine.
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Thank you for all of your replies and recomendations. We are going to try and do a little more trouble shooting before he takes her to a mechanic. We are thinking it is sometype of leak on the suction side or a bad injector. There is no fuel solenoid on the boat. If anybody would like to help here are the conditions again

200 HP Volvo Diesel

Motor will not start, blows white smoke out of exhaust while cranking over.

The motor will start with a little help from starting fluid.

Once started the motor runs strong with no problems.

Thanks for any help.

Chris
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Glow plugs?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Chris, does it still blow white smoke and not start when it is hot?
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

Once you shut it off it will not start again even when it is hot. I think that eliminates the faulty glo plug idea, right?

You can also start the boat by motoring on one motor with the non running motor in gear and she will fire right up (Starter?)

Again I thank you for your feedback.

Chris
Carl

Post by Carl »

Could it be stuck in gear or tranny clutch plates warped not allowing engine to crank at speed. Underway allows it to crank at speed, but when not moving its being held back by gearing and prop?

Not even sure that is possible never mind likely, I'm sure others will chime in. Maybe disconnect shaft coupling from tranny and give a try
ed c.

Volvos

Post by ed c. »

For Volvo service stay North of AC for volvo mechanics. The people on the Bass Barn can give you a lot of info about mechanics in Northern NJ. Good Luck