Hynautic Steering Fluid

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sean B

Hynautic Steering Fluid

Post by Sean B »

Need some Hynautic Steering Fluid.

I'm flushing steering lines completely, so I need it by the gallon.. Anybody know the best place to find it?

I've been told that the standard military aviation grade hydraulic oil "MIL-H5606" is the same stuff (or better) as the Hynautic fluid, and is also available at any airport shop.

I was also was told that the MIL-H5606 was a flammable, and thus outdated, aviation hydraulic fluid.... and that the new / better stuff was the MIL-H-83282 that is synthetic / not petroleum-based, and thus not flammable.

Same trusted source TOLD me that the new synthetic is also more corrosion resistant than the old petroleum "5606" stuff.

But I also READ the exact opposite about corrosion-resistance... that the new synthetic was worse about corrosion that the old petroleum based stuff.

Either is easy to obtain because of a buddy that works at the local airstrip... but I don't know which (if either) is the right stuff to be swimming in the Bertram / Hynautic steering system.

I certainly like the idea of the non-flammable MIL-H-83282 fluid.

Is a diesel boat anyway, so why not remove any other fuel for fires.

So I am about to settle on purging the whole steering hydraulic system and replacing the 20+ year old fluids with the “83282” synthetic non-flammable stuff. But I worry about the effect of the synthetic on the neoprene-based component seals, and also worry abouth the conflicted corrosion rating.

Any offered thoughts or experience? Thx in advance for any help

BTW - do you suppose they had actually tried 83,281 different formulas, before they came up with the ubiquitous "83282" formula? I'll bet your farm that they did NOT try that many times.

Why not name it something like Kick-ass hydraulic Oil No 4, so we all know what the hell we're talking about?

Signed,

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sean during my boat racing days my life (as a driver) depended on the best and mil-5606A never gave any apba racers a problem.now even the "p" boats are doing over a hundred mph .losing your steering in a turn will definitely ruin your weekend! trust me stick with the mil-5606A it is so well refined you can see air bubbles desolve.at 30knots that cylinder is not even getting a workout compare to the g-force in a turn at 100mph.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I kept this web address from a post here years ago. They sell the Texaco aviation hydraulic fluid which is red and easy to detect leaks. http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Air ... Fluid.html
1 gallon is $ 19.95

Eddy G.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I defer to the experts except I used the airline stuff specifically because it was red. When Teleflex purchased Hydnautic, they changed the Hydraulic fluids to clear/amber in color...and jacked up the price. I like being able to define any oil leaks in my boat asap, and red means steering system. Much easier to spot and solve...at least , that has been my experience. Walter
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Thanks guys.

I think you're right, I'll stick to the tried and true 5606 oil. It can't be adding that much fuel for fires. Also I'm not so sure about the new synthetic oil's corrosion resistance, and it seems that corrosion is what caused my helm pump leak and all my problems to begin with. Don't know about the possible effect of synthetics on the other 20+ year old seals I have in the steering ram either.

I thought it was all dyed red. Would definitely not want clear oil...

Thx again