Engine boxes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

davidms

Engine boxes

Post by davidms »

I think I remember seeing someone talking about engine box kits on a recent thread. But I couldn't find it. Does anybody make replacement or some type of kit for 31 engine boxes?

Davidms
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

1965/2007 Bertram 31
davidms

Post by davidms »

Got it. Thanks!

David
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

thier boxes are designed to be used with thier kit, cant use just the boxes.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

David,

New stock boxes are available through Richard Kidd at Allied Richard Bertram...

Br,

Patrick
davidms

Post by davidms »

Patrick,

Thanks for the information. I just got off the phone with Richard Kidd. I didn't realize that later model 31s have different size engine boxes. Richard said that they can make the smaller size boxes for older boats like mine.

My current boxes are not in terrible shape. I am tryin to reduce the engine noise in the cockpit. I thought that new boxes and additional foam insulation would do the trick. Richard suggested checking out a new type of thinner insulation that somebody at Easton (?) Marine sells. He said that this new stuff was almost paper thin and was better than foam. Have you heard anything about it?

Thanks,

David
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

The used boxes I got that were originally on an express had a plywood core that got waterlogged and made the boxes weigh a ton. We cut the plywood out and replaced it with structural foam core and glassed it in. We also had to make the boxes a little wider to fit the new engines. The result was that the boxes are a lot lighter and the boxes themselves do a good job of deadening the sound of my Cummins noise machines. I swear that one of the quietest places in my cockpit is right on top of the engine boxes. Plus the boxes don't get hot at all on the outside. A lot of sound still gets out from the seams, and I hope to work on that this winter.

My point is that if you rework the boxes by glassing in foam core underneath it will knock a lot of the sound out and make the boxes stiffer.

Can't tell you how hard the job was because my fiberglass guy Darrel Harris did that part, but he made it look pretty easy.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

On the cabrera boxes---i think they were designed for inline diesels---so if you are running big blocks--the motors may be too wide.