thanks for responce ? raisen fish

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

fish me

thanks for responce ? raisen fish

Post by fish me »

My buddies in cabo say diesels raise fish. I think this is true. my old boat is gas caught alot of fish but first ride in bertram they were jumpin in the boat.
Fish Me
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

It's the hull........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Mike is right. There is a lot of thoughts on this subject. I think its the hull and the wake mostly. My Bertram has the small rudders which in 3-5 footers trolling the boat does not go strait very long and the speader bars in tight zig zag and the riggers are jigging the lures. Guys with the big rudders catch a lot of fish so maybe thats not it. Then the sound of the desiels works for tuna here because the draggers all have them and the tuna are used to being fed behind them. I cannot speak for other locations. I have also heard that the 31 Bertram is the same basic size as a finback whale and the fish like to come over to it. Also fish love the lines of the boat way better than a bubble boat. They have good taste. Hopefully others will add their thoughs on this.
randall

Post by randall »

and fish that have good taste...................taste good
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I think its just the sound of the engines. Doesn't mattter diesel or gas. We used to fish off shore with another 31, and he had the Chryslers in his and we had the Mercruisers. We would fish side by side and we would raise two to his one. I also used to say it was the color of the bottom. His was black ours was blue. But it never failed, we always out fished him offshore. By the way, he really knew what he was doing off shore so it wasn't lack of knowledge. Tony Meola
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

While fishing is the weakest of my adventures, I do work on alot of boats that fish regularly.

I see many varities of boat makes and engine combinations raise fish.

There are many gas guys that charter down here cause you don't have to go far, and are very good at what they do.

Gas is not practical when you have to run 70 miles each way so your gonna see more diesel.

Diesel is also more popular outside the US.

Finaly those who can afford a diesl sportfish tend to have more money and a greater handle on their time that allows them to put more fishing time in.
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

my syncronizer would break the pin, i couldnt catch. fix it and the MOJO was back.it would even freak me out. got new style pins so it wouldnt happen. but when that thing broke....i was done!
scot

Post by scot »

Can't comment too much on gas vs diesel, but I will say that inboards raise bu-cu fish compared to the current trend toward the outboards. If you have ever been under water when an OB goes by you can understand why...extremely loud, high pitch irriitating noise. Where an inboard is typically a low pitch rumbling, mostly prop slicing water sounds....very pleasant.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
randall

Post by randall »

thats my theory.....spent weeks on the old 25 site trying to explain the difference in "feel" between inboards and outboards....rumble rumble
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Scot,

You got it with frequency, low frequency tends to draw strikes from marlin right behind the boat verses strikes farther back behind on the boat spread because of high frequency sound. Either diesel or gas can emit either sound.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Also, I know several giant fisherman who will change their cutlass bearings if they are not doing well trolling.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob Schneider, (Bob Schneider Lures), did extensive research with Atlantic Undersea Test and Evaluation Center, (AUTEC), before he retired from the Navy. During his research around The Tounge of the Sea, (Andros, Bahamas), tracking submarines he discovered that many species of fish, especially billfish, were attracted to very low frequency sound waves. Conversley, they'd avoid high frequency sound.

After he retired and began fishing & designing lures, he applied the concept of low frequency to both boats and lures. In the boating realm, he even offered a diagonostic service to sportfishermen.

He would go onto their boats, while fishing, and roach out the entire boat for sounds. All high frequency sounds, (loose squeeking belts, frictional squeeks from decks, etc), would be eliminated or reduced. Low frequency sounds were capitalized on, even to the point of adding base speakers installed flush to the hull below the water line. Different recordings were piped through the speaker system, including recorded fish sounds & music.

On those boats that he tweaked out, the catch rate was significantly increased. Even some boats that had very low catch rates previously began raising fish like magnets.

Of all the ways to try and increase your catch rate, harmonics is probably one of the most effective ways...

When I ran a 46' Bert with a rusty & squeeky Onan generator in the stern bilge, we almost never caught fish when the gen set way running. Turn it off & we'd be back in the bite.

Br,

Patrick
kipp

Post by kipp »

Don,t want to get into gas vs diesel debate, I say it's the hull that raises fish. Thta's what no lesser of an authority than Peter Wright believes. He told us they think it's a whale. My 31 "Targeted Species" with E-Tec OUTBOARDS raises fish,and plenty of our Marlin bites are on the flat lines. Was the same,with the old outboards. Diesels,gassers, inboard, outboard,high pitch or low pitch the boat (hull) catches fish, and I'm proud to be the steward of one (even though it's not very traditional).
Faithfully,
Kipp
Carl

Post by Carl »

A friend of ours purchased a new 42 Viking that could not raise fish. Two years later his problematic generator it took another crap, he ripped it out, installed another brand, the boat started catching fish. Gotta mean something
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Well not trying to disagree but, I will agree to some point that certain hulls will do better than others like the B31, but I'm in total agreement with Capt. Pat's article which is a proven fact with low frequency verses high frequency. Just one fisherman's opinion. But you do have to put the baits over the fish to even be in the running.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

There's a good degree of validity to different boats & different hulls having a bearing on raising fish...

The two basic categories of hulls are wood & fiberglass. For simplicity, I'll dump all boats with wood in their hulls into the single pot of wood boats. That will include (1) cold molded, (2) plank over frame, & (3) plywood over frame.

Examples are: (1) Rybovich, Merrit, Hines/Farley, (2) Older boats by Post, Egg Harbor, Chris Craft, (3) American/Monterey.

Most sportfishing boats have many things in comon; engines, generators, props, etc. All of these items produce sound, but how that sound is transmitted into the water can differ greatly.

Wood hull boats will muffle & deaden sound. Wood also lowers the transmitted frequency. To a large degree, this is the nature of wood itself, but also thickness comes into play. A thicker hull will transmit the same sound at a lower frequency than a thin hull. Not un-like the difference of a base drum, with multiple layers of skin as opposed to a snare drum with an exceedingly thin single skin.

So hulls, regardless of size, can produce a wide variety of transmitted sound frequencies. There will even be differences between the sound transmitted by an '61 millitary version of the B31 & the relatively thin skinned '86 Anniversary Edition B31.

Size does make a difference, at least sometimes...

Generally, a smaller boat can often out fish the big battle wagons. I had a 14 ft commercial wide aluminum Jon boat with a 50 hp Evenrude. I would leave Lake Worth Inlet, run out to 120' - 150', shut the engine off and drift the current about 30 miles north to the St. Lucie Inlet. Within a half hour of cutting the engine, I would have bait fish schooling under the boat. Like a big sheet of plywood or grass float. Many were the day that I had more fish caught than a fleet of battle wagons, including the Rybovichs & Merrits.

Br,

Patrick