hot water heater,

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

hubris 1

hot water heater,

Post by hubris 1 »

right now i have a six gallon hot water heater. thinking of changing it to an inline instant hot water heater. any thoughts on this. dont have a generator, dont really need one. they are 120 volt so it would not work away from dock. in a blackfin they lean ever so slight to the starboard anyway. this would remove almost a hundred pounds from that side. i saw the heater on a friends boat, but since he never used it he couldnt tell me a thing about it. thanks.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Heater

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

We went to a big gas on demand water heater when rebuilding our house - love it.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

When we bought our current house about 20 years ago there was a constant demand electric water heater in the kitchen to supply instant hot water to the kitchen sink because the run from the water heater serving that end of the house was pretty long. Had a separate faucet, and the heater was stainless, about the size of a fat Thermos bottle. We took it out when we remodeled the kitchen, and I've been meaning to install it on AJ one of these days when I put a shower on her. I have seen similar "flash" heaters at Home Depot and Lowe's.....would be the way to go.

Now for the good news - the sac a lait (Crappie to you yankees) are back on the Tickfaw River after a two year absence due to Katrina's fish kill. Friday afternoon I caught 41 in a hour 100 feet from my dock out of the Goo Boat, using a tiny blue/clear tube jig on a 10 foot jig pole. Took Don (the Minister de Pollo, Ret.) Sat. morning to teach him the ways of jigging in brush tops and we caught another 25 or so. Threw them all back 'cause we did not want to fool with cleaning and frying them, but Don has a commercail fryer and they ain't gonna get thrown back next weekend.

Talk about low impact fishing.....maybe burned 4 oz. of gas in the Honda 15.

UV
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

thanks for the reply's but, i'm talking about on a boat. i want to change the hot water heater on my 29 blackfin. thanks. do these small in systems work? thanks.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic- How big were the Crappie? Feed e'm and fatten them up! They can get pretty big for panfish. I love 'em. Walter
Capt. Mike Holmes

Heater

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I think Vic and I were replying in general terms that, yes, on-demand heaters work. If I put a water heater on my boat, that's what I would use. The marine systems are too expensive, and small, home style tank heaters take up too much room and usually don't have enough capacity to do much with, anyway. At the dock, with a virtually endless supply of fresh water, an on demand system would do fine.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Walter, a few of them were huge, like pushing 2#. Caught them in that same spot you & the Porf fly fished for bream one time at the camp, right across the canal from AJs berth.

Hubris - the little flash heater I have is all stainless and would be perfect for a small boat water heater. My guess is it will constantly put out about 2 gpm at 120 degrees.....think it draws about 10 amps at 120 vac. Has an automatic switch to turn it on and off upon demand. I'd probably bypass that and use a breaker to control it, then let the internal thermostat work downstream (electrically) to keep it from overheating if you turn the water flow off.

UV
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i install a 6gallon hot water heater in back of the refrigerator,than ran two hoses to the starboard engine.the heat exchanger keeps the water hot underway and electric at the dock or generator on the hook.in MY case
the extra weight is good. the engines have so much balls the only thing to do is add weight, not ballast-- usable weight next step a gourmet galley.i don`t know what everbody else does but i am not having a stale bolony sandwich on a overnight in the canyon.
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Bob I use a fridge, one burner butane stove and have a microwave. My fridge just went in the door since mine is custom not stock. The electrics are powered by a 1500 watt continues inverter feed by it's own 8D battery switchable to all three 8D's. It has proven to be very reliable for me on my overnight runs in the Gulf. I also have a solar charger on the aux 8d to keep it topped off. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. dave i belive you are the leader in this post"a solar heater on a aux 8d "very smart indeed.you got to rid yourself of this cancer we need you to keep people like me in awe! best of luck brother.-------------bob
hubris 1

Post by hubris 1 »

popped out the leaking water heater today. now i know why the boat always had a slight starboard lean, that thing is heavy and far to starboard side. the new smaller instant hot water heater should be fine in its place.