May have to give up on my B31 project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bulletproof

May have to give up on my B31 project

Post by Bulletproof »

Hello All,

I'm afraid it may be necessary for me to give up on my B31 restoration project. Divorce proceedings may force me to liquidate the "asset" ya right... I'm into it for around $120K and she's 80% complete. I'm asking the faithful for either some inspiration (donations accepted...) or advice on how much I should ask for.

I've completed all the structural work, deck framing and new sub-deck (teak still needs to be applied), entire cabinet is done over in Mahogany, new lower helm station, galley cabinet, teak and holly sole panels, new 8.1 ltr EFI Crusaders (ya I know....) new stainless tank and tons more.

First of all anyone interested? Second, anyone have an opinion on how much I should ask for the project? Please shoot me an email with your replys or post your reponse here.

thanks everyone for all the help that's been offered to me over the past three years. I couldn't have come this far without all the advice I've gotten.

I look forward to any replies and advice!
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Way undrervalue it(mr divorce lawyer, it's all the market will take, not trying to get over on the x) sell it to a buddy . Get it back when the smoke settles
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Sell it for 15$ to a friend and get it later.
Ric

Post by Ric »

the boat is the first thing she will go after,,,Usually,,,because its the posession you value most,,,, very sad,,
maybe she thinks that 120k you spent should have been spent "elsewhere" No advice to be given on the situation,,, its very sad,,,,
Harv

Post by Harv »

My friend sold his Pro Stock Chevelle to his cousin for $1.00 just before his divorce. Why not do the same with a close friend or relative? Then buy it back after everything is settled.
Harv
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Paul
I'm sorry for your situation but .......

You may not even have to fake an undervalued price.........there are currently 2, 31's listed on Ebay..........a Fly Bridge Cruiser for 73K.....its been listed for at least 2 weeks with no takers.............and also a Sportfisherman for 53K.............no takers

Both boats look nice..........

Good luck

Harry
hb
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Give her the damn house. Keep the boat. You can sleep on the boat, but you can't fish from the house......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

exactly
Bulletproof

All great advice

Post by Bulletproof »

Hey guys, if all goes well I might "get the boat" and she'll get the house. My problem is being worn down by it being a three year project rather than the one to two year thing I thought it was going to be.

I'm going to wait until the dust settles and maybe come spring I'll have new inspiration to finish it. The prices of those other boats sure don't make mine attractive at all do they? At least they float and run....
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
nic

Post by nic »

Bulletproof,

Having been through both adventures/trials that you are going through I do have one suggestion - have the boat valued as is by a third party, not yourself or the soon-to-be ex, because in its current state it isn't worth anywhere near what has been spent on it. Pete Fallon on this board could either do it or recommend someone else. Then if you and the stb ex can't agree on the value auction it. If you buy it at public auction, for say $20 - $30,000 no one can come back at you later. Your attorney can work the auction terms, allowing time for final payment etc.

Other than that, stick with the project, it will be worth it in the long run. There are lots of women out there and only about 1,800 31s. Do the math.

Good luck

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

nic i want to be the first in your fan club that is the best line ever written on this board!!!!! i think it was 1850 total somebodt correct me.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Nic,
Well said, my friend.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
GEO

Post by GEO »

I'm new to this site but not to your situation...I went thru the same thing back in 1991. My first wife hated everything to do with my boats and fishing. I had to sell the boat that she hated and split the proceeds with her. She went so far as to sell all my offshore tackle at a garage sale without me knowing!

Fast forward 16 years...I married a woman 11 years younger than her, 60lbs lighter, 300x better looking and she LOVES Bertram 31s. She's driven with me all over the east coast looking for a 31 and she prowls the internet all night with me looking at listings and ads.

My advice brother, keep the boat, dump the ball & chain ASAP and finish your dream project. It's amazing how a new life changes your perspective and makes everythng look better!

Why do divorces cost so much?

BECAUSE THEY'RE WORTH IT!
randall

Post by randall »

i got married under a tree in the back yard of the house my wife grew up in....10 feet from the dock that held the boat she grew up on....duh...and shes cute too.....33 years later...she bought me a truck for my birthday..............sometimes you get lucky te first time
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Randall,

Sometimes you can get lucky. My wife bought me this for our 5th X-mas together.

She even likes to drive it!

Ian.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Been divorced three times.....and once they are gone you wont believe how much newfound energy you will have to finish that boat. OH new girlfriends will love spending time onthat Bertram. Keep the boat and get it appraised [as is] Now picture yourself with 10-12yr. younger lightweight new girlfriend who you can teach to fish and make lots of new memories in that old Bertram.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Paul,
THREE YEARS! Try seven. If you retain it, cover it and walk away for a while. Read this board and do something else. One day the spirit will move you and inspiration will return. Esepcially when not burdened with thoughts of losing your ass.
Geo, Randall,
If you ever get tired of those women . . .
My bride thinks it's wonderful that I have this boat. It gets me out from under foot and she loves the tariff. Ah, the price we pay.
Why do most men die before their wives?
Choice!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
CMP

Post by CMP »

Paul, I wish you luck in dealing with what sounds like will be a sticky situation at best. Never been there and hope to never be. Married men don't live longer, it just seems that way. That said, I hope you think long and hard b4 taking relationship advise from our fren TIMMMAY! That's a bit like taking advise on how to pick up women from Richard Simmons...

CMP
randall

Post by randall »

ian.......nice!!
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Hummmmmmmmmmmm , Mark, while melisa is often in my fantisys, it's not MARRIED to her, with a couple of kids(semi wll behaved, but kids none the less) 20 some odd years of on and off dateing and not getting hooked counts for something, don't it?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Randall,
Don't tell me the surf truck is no more...........

Paul,
If I've learned one thing over the years its that hasty decisions often come back to regrets. Like Mikey said, put it under cover for a while and when the smoke clears, you'll be glad to have something to keep you occupied.

Take it one day at a time and like everything else this world throws at us, it too shall pass.
randall

Post by randall »

bruce.....for the moment i have two trucks..the old one is regestered and inspected (how i did that is a secret) havent even gotten the new one home yet.....haul firewood...back trailer into salt...old truck...take caren out to dinner..new truck.....
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

2 truck raaandallllllllllllll, now don't be gittin uppity, what with your new station in life.
randall

Post by randall »

it'll only last till the insurance is due or it dies...whichever comes first

and this photo is 4 years old...its much more beat up now
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

That the one you take Caren out in? We are talking uppity here. Looks damn near new!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bulletproof

The verdict is in

Post by Bulletproof »

Hi gang,

I think the best advice is to cover it for the winter, get through the divorc and start at it again in the spring. I hope to be divorced by then anyway. My new girlfriend is in fact 20 lbs lighter and much cuter! she's my old girlfriend from 26 years ago and grew up on Marblehead Harbor. After the divorce I'll actually have some money to finish it too.

Thanks for all the support. I will continue to check in on the crew.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA