The race is on

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

The race is on

Post by Harry Babb »

Well my friends............for 2 years now I have followed "Repower/Restoration/Upgrades" (even Goose hunting) post nearly every night.

I have to say that I have learned a lot from the trials and tribulations posted by my friends here on Bertram 31.

I hope that I have made at least a small positive difference here by my participation here on Bertram 31.

As I have mentioned before I intend to repower DeNada. Brewster posted a couple of 6B's on our Swap and Sell board just over a year ago. They belonged to one of his friends on Long Island.

I noticed the "engine post" right after he posted it and a couple of days later I actually made a call............made a deal.........and purchased the engines. They had relatively high hours and one engine had compression problems.

Then I went into the hospital for surgery to cure me of Prostate Cancer.......that knocked me back several months. As soon as I was able I disassembled the port engine and I am getting very near a start up

Today I arranged to have DeNada lifted from the water, placed on a trailer and brought to my shop...........about 10 miles from her home on Fish River. She will arrive at my shop for repower on November 30, 2007.

Well I am here to tell you that I am very happly and anxiously dreading this project.

I have to say though, the success stories that I have heard here are enough inspiration to get me going.

In my younger years I have been known to remove and disassemble a 350 gas engine on a Saturday, have machine work done during the following week, pickup all of my parts on the following Friday and be boat riding on Sunday afternoon........but during the last 15 years a lot of my "Get up and Go" has "Got up and went" but inspite of that I intend to be fish DeNada this upcoming spring.

For now I want to thank all for sharing your experiences..........I know that they will make a BIG difference in the success of my repower.

Thanks

Harry Babb
hb
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Harry,

Good Luck on your project, I'm glad to hear of another repower/rehab project going on. We need more of it ;) Little too much selling these days (IHO, not meant to offend anybody).

Remember, take pictues, ask qestions, and take some more pictures. I love to see how others tackle their repowers and the modifications they make.

Keep us POSTED...
br,
JohnD
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

It is worth all the work. Good luck.
randall

Post by randall »

good luck.....one thing i did was tie a little tag on every connection i broke telling me what it was and where it went...and like everyone says...thake pictures....good luck
scot

Post by scot »

Harry,
I certainly understand "my get up and go...got up and went" In my youth I would work on a project until 2:00 or 3:00AM and go to work the next day, now I put in a few hours on the weekend....."if" the weather is good!

If all those other guy's can do it, a man with a machine shop should have no problems at all. Good luck and enjoy the process (I know you will) and the fruits of your labor. There is something to be said for doing it yourself.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures, I need the inspiration.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

I just spent the summer weekends, when I could taking the back end apart for my repower. Time consuming yes. Just get a label maker and make sure you label all the wires unless you are going to rewire the whole boat. One thing you will realize, for the most part it takes time and just be careful as you take things apart. I think the glass work is the worst part. To get it back in by this coming summer I am going to farm out the glass work. Just don't have the time. Tony Meola
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Harry,
Old age has got most all of us. There was a time when I would rebuild a motor between rounds of a race. Now it seems it takes closer to a month.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

You go Harry, you will be there before you know it and worth every second of it.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Here are just a few engine pics............take a look

[/img]Image
[Ihttp://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/chip51maker/IMG_1668.jpg[/IMG]
Image[/img]

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Fast and quick was good but I'll stick with slow and steady.

Good luck with the project.

Carl