Surfs UP ! ! !

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Surfs UP ! ! !

Post by Harry Babb »

What about it Randall.............High surf is headed your way........once again this year we, here on the Gulf Coast, were spared from the wrath of a hurricane.

About 2 hours ago our local news anounced that Noel had been upgraded to a hurricane 80 MPH winds............skirting the east coast

Good news for both of us. No hurricane for us and surfing weather for you.

Harry Babb
hb
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Wooooo hoooo Harry , good on ya.
Maybe the high winds will keep the woodcock up here , just a bit longer. And maybe the prof will get off his ass and come shoot some, and maybe UV will mello in in advancing age, and maybe I'll hit the loto, and maybe Andre will ge a real boat, oh well we can all dream.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

So there you are Timmy. I've been wondering where you are hiding.

If you get blown away by Noel you can always bring your goose gun down here (South of I10) and go dove hunting right in my front yard.

Like the old band "The lovin spoonful" once said "Life is but a dream"

Dreamin on! ! ! ! !
Harry
hb
randall

Post by randall »

hey harry...there is some swell coming but the wind forcast is a little large....35-48 out of the northeast forcast for the high swell period........i would think its a little late for a tropical storm............except the leaves are still mostly green ( a little color , but no where near normal)...the water is in the 60s and i went kayak fishing last night in a light flannel shirt....very strange
CMP

Post by CMP »

Time to dust off the rhino chaser, Randall. Let 'er rip...

CMP
randall

Post by randall »

actually rode it last week to get ready...8'2" billy hamilton....have to admit i'm not what i once was.....a few here know what tomorrow is ....but if its with in reason ill probably give it a go
nic

Post by nic »

Randall,

If it happens can you post some pics?

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
CMP

Post by CMP »

I haven't dusted off a stick later than September in too long. The points up here should really be going off tomorrow when the wind shifts offshore...

CMP
randall

Post by randall »

its off shore here right now....but its also pouring rain and 30+ (wind)....since today is my 60th b'day i think ill wait till it calms down a bit and just relax....there was a time not very long ago id be in my truck right now at my favorite big wave spot waiting for the first hint of an opportunity...really kind of hard to believe
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Happy Birthday, Randy!
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Randall, go. You are just an experienced teenager.
randall

Post by randall »

thanks cap't...appreciate it........caren and i took a drive a little east to check it out......first a beachbreak....its a little hard to judge size but the inside wave is double overhead easy...the outside one...??...the cliff shot at the air base is deceptive also.....much larger then it looks and i could feel the 50++mph wind edging me toward the cliff...whole thing was way more out of control than it looked........we did see one fellow with a wet suit on but no one in the water anywhere..........dont think surf casting was big....and no boats in the rips

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Hey Randy- Dinaz and I wish you Happy birthday and many, many more!
gplume

Post by gplume »

Rode all day....in RI....today 11/3.

Good swell, well overhead. But a narly and nasty wind out of the north east at roughly 30-40 mph made it a little cahallenging to get over the peak, keeping the wave count doen a bit. Once on the down side...fun time.

Riding a 9.0 RA wingnut. Son did much better on a short baord. Some good pix? Will post the link when I get it.
Giff
randall

Post by randall »

all right!!....and thanks walter
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Happy birthday Randall

Harry
hb
CMP

Post by CMP »

Happy B-day Randall! That last pic sent shivers down my spine-it reminds me of the first time I saw Maverick's back in '83. Looks eerily similar to the north cliff there...

CMP
randall

Post by randall »

hey mark...we checked out mavs in 72 or 73 (of course it wasnt named or surfed yet) and i for one didnt even consider it...double overhead steamer lane was enough for me.............what a difference a day makes........much more doable today....really clean and beautiful .... thanks for the b'day wishes...i slightly injured myself last night....i sorta remember it Image

Capt. Mike Holmes

Accolades

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Randall, I would never have guessed the age - seems you are as young as you feel. Very glad we were able to meet at Port Eads - wadin' and watchin' for snakes and gators on the submerged dock. Good times that I hope we'll be able to repeat - somewhere.

Guys, Randall is the most talented wtih the smallest ego artist I've ever met - or ever even heard about. When he showed me his book of pictures at Port Eads that year, I was totally in awe - and still am. Don't know how he can even envision the things he does before he starts - completely amazing.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
nic

Post by nic »

Thanks Randall,

Pretty break. Happy Birthday.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Happy belated Ran'dallllllllllll

Harry, how long is the season??
Dug

Post by Dug »

Randall!

Happy birthday!

Yesterday's weather was beautiful, wasn't it...

Congratulations on the 60th! You sure don't show it!

D
Chris Frank L.D.S.

Post by Chris Frank L.D.S. »

Randall,
Happy Birthday. Have not seen surf that nice in a while down here in NC. Was that at Turtles?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Timmy

Alabama has a Split Season for Dove hunting. October 6-November 4 then November 22 - November 25 and finally December 8 - January 12.......around here Dove hunting is a big thing until the minute deer gun season opens.

The afternoons sound like a small war in the fields around my shop during Dove season..........

I take it that you did not go surfing with Randall ???????????

Harry
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Happy belated Randall, I wish you many more.

Harry,
2 or 3 Dove seasons is required in the South because when it's hot far too much beer is consumed during the hunt...... "and ya'll don't kill nuff of em."
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
randall

Post by randall »

hey chris...you nailed it ..turtles....ive been looking at hurricane swells in montauk for over 30 years (every one) and this one was very focused....lit up the reefs but not a lot of white water or stray swells...fun again today and still slightly overhead

mike...thanks for the kind words...appreciate it
capy

Post by capy »

Happy belated B-day Randall!

60 huh? WHatever you been drinkin, you should bottle and sell as a youth potion.
randall

Post by randall »

thanks paul....without bein sappy.........dont sweat the small stuff...count you blessings.....realize that how you spend your time and who you spend it with is ,besides health,is the only wealth there is.............and whenever possible...eat dessert first.......................oh yeah...to quote my dad "dont go into retail"
Chris Frank L.D.S.

Post by Chris Frank L.D.S. »

Randall,
Looks great. Maybe next time I'm in NY maybe we can ride a few together. Might not be as big as last week, but it's always fun! When it gets cold up there and your tired of putting wood in the stove, call me. We have a place for you to stay, anytime.
randall

Post by randall »

thanks chris...hell ...im tired off putting wood in the stove already....but when you look at the price of heating oil....makes it easier