Outdrives on a Bertram 31?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JPRS51

Outdrives on a Bertram 31?

Post by JPRS51 »

Anyone have any experience with outdrives on a Bertram 31?

Could a set of Bravo 3 drives be put on the back? Would there be any benefit or reason not to do it?
Jeff S

randall

Post by randall »

i dont know about the possible benifits but if you want to know some good reasons not to i can give you the short list or the long list
JPRS51

Post by JPRS51 »

How about the short list to start with.

Know someone who wants to do this and would like to talk them out of it, or prove it not reasonable to do.
Jeff S

scot

Post by scot »

I think the "short" list is about 6 pages....
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Dug

Post by Dug »

STart by knowing that the transom is only about 1/2 an inch thick tops. That will not support an outdrive.

Why waste the time, effort and money...
Face

Post by Face »

What a terrible idea. Rebuild the fuel tank, engine beds, transom, floor, etc. And for what?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Of course it could be done, what really can't be done if you throw enough money at it.

Benefits, well with a pair of stern dives on her, it would become a boat you would keep forever. Mainly cause you'd have a real hard time selling it.

Another benefit would be...would be...well not really sure...Oh!! I got it you won't have to clean the shafts and struts at the end of the season.

Why would you go out of your way to hang big chunks of Aluminum off the back of your boat. Not as reliable, they corrode, have to deal with bellows leaking, ugly, destroy the great lines of the boat, people steal them, expensive, have to worry about lines getting caught on them when fishing, and that just off the top of my head.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

JPR,

I have absolutely no doubt that the general consensus of all the members of this group are in agreement that putting outdrives on a B31 is about as dumb as stump...

Nobody really cares to spend time typing out good logical reasons why it's a dumb idea. Tell your "someone" that we think it's dumb & leave it at that. If he's not smart enough to take it on face value & faith from the Faithful, then he's not smart enough to take long winded advice from us either, so let him proceed, & with our blessings.

Br,

Patrick
JPRS51

Post by JPRS51 »

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am going to manage the repower of a few Bertram 31's and someone turned the owner onto the idea that they have done this on Blackfin's with great success.

I would hate to see something like this done on the classic hull of a B31.

best regards,

Jeff
Jeff S

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I ran across a B31 with outdrives and brand new Yanmars, this was a factory boat 1961 or 62. It's been in Man O War Cay for 40+ years. One owner boat. I figure the owner wanted the outdrives due to the shallows out there and that might be an advantage. This was a few years ago. I was nosing around at the dock and an old guy came out, asked me if I wanted to look at it, it was for sale. He was the caretaker for 40+ years, it was owned by an American businessman who had recently passed away. Showed me the new Yanmars under the hood in the stern. I didn't like the cockpit being taken up by that box. And I questioned the weight distribution in my mind, and those outdrives sitting in the water constantly. It did seem to drive like car however, very managable. He would have take 40K. I see it all the time, it's in Marsh Harbor now, it's always parked at Snappas restaurant and has been in their ads. I believe the owner of the place got the boat. You could call Snappas and ask him about the ride or other questions. Heck take a flight out there and check it out in person if you're serious. I wouldn't convert one to I/O's.
Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman