phasor gen set

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

phasor gen set

Post by JohnCranston »

I got a call from the guy that sold me his new Yanmars today. He's got a Phasor 10 kw gen set with 20: wiring harness and gauge package. Bought new about 2 1/2 years ago...never run. He wants $6k...Offered $5k...settled on $5500. How did I do? I was planning on enclosing my helm area and blow 16000 btu's of ac in that space. I haven't written the check yet, so, if things don't sound right. let me know.

Thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John
I'm not sure about price..........but I am curious.........

10KW is enough to run a 16K BTU air conditioner with ease and several other appliances with out breaking a sweat.

I have a 5 KW gasser and it runs a 16000 BTU AC easily............I will be looking for a diesel generator soon myself.

Harry
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

John, the 10 kw is probably way too big to fit in your B31, probably too long, wide, and tall to fit outboard of an engine. I have a 6.5 kw Phasor, the "pancake" model, 3 cyl. 1800 rpm Kubota powered and it fits fine, better even than my old 5.5 kw Phasor with the same engine setup.

Size is the issue, go on the Phasor website and look at the 10 kw and see how big it is.

My 6.5 kw is a bigger displacement engine than my old 5.5 kw and you can tell by the exhaust tone it has bigger gonads....but anything 4 kw or bigger should start and run a 16,000 btu a/c with no problem. I have 12,000 btu and both my Phasors kicked it off without a hicup.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

If it truly is a 10 kw, that's a hell of a good price... List is over $12K & best online price is around $8K. The 10 kw is however a lot more than you need. Most 48' - 50' boats are powered with 10 kw & generally have energy to spare.

Space will be your biggest concern, & you'll be forced to install on the center line, below deck level, forward of the engine space bulkhead. Only on a Bahia Mar would this gen set even be an option. But the price is right...

There could also be a bit of a weight loading issue, placing over 400 pounds that far forward could mean adding ballast weight in the transom to offset the gen weight & not cause the boat to run too bow down. But the price is right...

Br,

Patrick
Capt. Mike Holmes

Generator

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

John, the 42 Bert I was looking at had a 9 kw, and also multiple AC units. Like everybody else has said, it's a good price, but more set than you need. My 4.3 that weighs just over 100 lbs would do all you'd need.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Guys,
The 10 kw is 29" long, 16" wide, and 23" high. I was planning on running a 16 btu ac in the cabin also. It seems like I'll have a bunch of unused room forward of the engine compartment, which would be in the centerline of the helm area. I have a huge hatch right over this area. The unit weighs just under 400lbs, but everything on the boat is very light. Not going with a tower this time around and everything else, is either Cabrera's stuff or made out of Nida-core. Sounds like a deal that I might not want to pass up. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

John,
We wanted to put a 5kw Northern Lights outboard of a Cummins installation. It would have been imposible (or close to it) to service the water pump on the port side of the engine, this unit was 14" wide.
The generator service wouldn't have been real fun either.
We opted to put the generator forward of the engine bulkhead under the rear dinette seat, we basically made the seat a hush box with the generator pulling air from the cockpit. Chimera is an FBC so the generator evened out the list from the head and galley.
Build a cardboard box the size your talking about and put it in the boat where you think you want the generator, it crude but will certainly bring the scale of the job your trying to do into perspective.
10Kw sounds big. Maybe sell it for 8K by a more manageable size for 7K, if you've got the time. FYI we found our 5Kw NL for around 6K new.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. Mike Holmes

Genset

John, I talked to Noe this morning. The genset they are installing in the Bahia Mar he's working on is going to be a 9kw. Go figure. Maybe great minds think alike?
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

JP,
The cardboard is a good idea. My glass guy just called and said that the hatch in the helm area is 48" by 33"...sounds like there ought to be plenty of room.

Mike,
I went by to see Noe last weekend. He's going to build me a windshield like the one that he just finished. He really wanted to get rid of his radar arch...said his partner would rather have a marlin tower. He told me about the 9 kw...he's going to run ac in the cabin and in the helm area.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Half-tower

Noe said he thought the price was too high for the top. It really looks nice, Charlie did a great job. I didn't look at the boat today, probably will tomorrow. He said just about everything is together on it now.

My bulkhead guy started this morning. Two young guys and a backhoe, got most of the 80' of vinyl sheeting in today. I was pleasantly surprised. They should be finished by the time I get back from New Orleans Wednesday. If I can come to terms with the electric companies, might be able to have the boat moved by next weekend.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Mike,
What's Noe going to do about the price on the top? Lower it? He said that he wanted $10,500...what did he tell you? What kind of vinyl did you use? C Lock?
Capt. Mike Holmes

John, he told me $10,000 - I think. His Eeengesh not too good allatime. The damn thing is beautioful, though, I counted 10 rod holders on the rocket launcher.

I think the brand of sheet he used is Shoreline, it's the 2 foot wide stuff, used 10 foot sheets. Guy's name is Donnie Simpson, seems to know what he's doing. He's going to build me about a 16' dock off the bulkhead, throwing it in free on the deal - using some of the lumber I got out of my deck at the old lot, charging me $150/foot, turn key.

Damn Centerpoint wants $1,000 to put in a secondary pole and hook me up (I already set a meter pole) because I'm not goign to build a house there.

Give me a call tonight, if you have time.