More on Optima batteries..

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

More on Optima batteries..

Post by IRGuy »

Forgive me if some of you feel I am beating this subject to death, but I hope others of you will find the info below useful. or at least interesting...

As I have mentioned here before, I have been on a quest to determine which batteries I should buy to replace the two ancient 8Ds that I have which start my two Cummins 6B, 315 HP engines. I have been trying to compare size (hence cranking amp capacities), and manufacturer. I already have determined type.. ie: I will buy AGM batteries. I also want cranking amp capacity which at least equals what a normal 8D battery generates.

After quite a bit of searching, talking and note taking, I have pretty much decided on Optima Group 24s.. (some manufacturers, Optima being one, call this size 34, but the dimensions are the same as Group 24s). I decided on this setup because three of this size will fit into each of my existing 8D battery boxes. I plan on buying 6 batteries, two each in parallel as starting batteries for each engine, and two in parallel as a house battery and generator starting bank.

After researching Optima batteries using Optima’s and various battery sales outlet web sites I was puzzled.. Optima refers to their BLUE top batteries being MARINE batteries, and their RED top batteries as being STARTING batteries. Their literature offers some cloudy references to their marine batteries as being DUAL PURPOSE. In other places their literature states their warrantees will be voided if a starting battery is used in a deep cycle application, and vice versa. I also noticed that in some pictures they have blue top batteries with black cases, and in others blue top batteries have grey cases.

Today I called Optima’s Customer Service number, (888-867-8462) and spoke with a real person. Here is the interesting info I learned, after asking some very direct questions. (While she was very helpful, I got the impression she was only going to answer direct questions, and was not going to volunteer anything except direct answers to my direct questions).

Blue top batteries are defined as being for marine use, but they are the same as their other batteries, on the following basis, EXCEPT for the fact that marine batteries have two sets of terminals, the standard tapered stud, and a threaded stud for accessory power.

Optima makes two blue top Group 24 (34) marine batteries. They make a true marine STARTING battery (their part number for this is “34M”). Except for the dual terminals this has the same construction and specs as their red top starting battery. They also make a blue top Group 24 (34) DUAL PURPOSE marine battery (their part number for this is “D34M”). The specs for these two batteries is somewhat different, mainly the starting battery has slightly higher cranking amp ratings, while the dual purpose battery has higher reserve minute ratings.

How do you and I tell the difference in these two blue top marine batteries? Simple: The STARTING battery has a black case, while the DUAL PURPOSE battery has a gray case.

But.. do not jump to conclusions! The BLUE top/gray case MARINE starting battery and the RED top (GENERAL PURPOSE) starting battery are identical in their construction and specs, but they DO NOT have the same WARRANTEES!

The BLUE top/gray case MARINE starting battery has an 18 month replacement plus an 18 month prorated warranty, while the RED top (GENERAL PURPOSE) starting battery has a 36 month replacement plus a 36 month prorated warrantee. If they are the same.. Why? Good question.. the customer service person assured me they were in all aspects the same battery, but had different warrantees. She said the company gave them no reason for this.

She told me finally, when I assured her my starting batteries were used only for starting, I should buy either the RED top general purpose starting battery, or the BLUE top BLACK case marine starting battery, and that the application (marine vs general) had nothing to do with the warrantee!

BTW: While Optima makes Group 24 (34) blue top marine batteries in both starting and dual purpose configurations, they make their next largest size (Group 31) in only the dual purpose configuration!

So there, Bertram Buddies.. is the scoop on Optima batteries. Go figure!
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

I was curious after reading about them. i will be going with the group31 w/out a box since there is no need for a box since they are sealed.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

NOW you tell me.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Sorry Mikey.. I thought this would be a simple thing to research, and it just seemed to get more and more complicated as I began to learn things. To be perfectly honest I really like the Odyssey batteries, but can't justify the extra cost. In fact, the Batteries Plus guy told me today that Odyssey has for the past year or two slowly been moving out of the large battery market in favor of the personal watercraft/motorcycle small battery market because they simply were not competitive with the huge prices for their bigger batteries.
Hookshurt

Optima

Post by Hookshurt »

And yes...I apologize in advance for beating the otherwise already dead horse, but I'm in the process of rewiring and replacing the battery banks.

Here's something to further support what IRguy was told by Optima. Were you speaking to Bridget? Here is the response I got via email.

"There is no difference between the Red Tops and the Blue Top starting
battery or the Yellow Tops and the Blue Top deep cycle batteries,
internally. So you do not have to go with the Blue Tops.

Please feel free to contact customer service at the number below if you
have any other questions. Thank you for your interest and support of Optima
Batteries.

Bridget
Optima Batteries
Customer Service
1.800.292.4359"

So I guess this means that $$$ for $$$, if you can get a deal on Red Tops for starting apps and a deal on Yellow Tops for Deepcycle apps then you don't need to buy the Blue Tops for any application? Did I read this right and did IRGuy hear right?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Yes.. It was Bridget that I spoke with. The only comment I will add is that I did not ask about the true Deep Cycle YELLOW top battery, because (and I might be mistaken here) I thought she said in passing (or the Batteries Plus guy I spoke with several times over the past few weeks might have said) is that the BLUE top Dual Purpose batteries were sort of half way between a true Starting and a true Deep Cycle battery. Since my house battery bank starts my generator, and I want to also be able to parallel my house bank with my engine banks in a real pinch, I think instead of buying true YELLOW top Deep Cycle batteries, I will go with the marine Dual Purpose D34M batteries for my house power.

BTW.. I looked up on the Batteries Plus web site today the pricing on the red Starting and marine Dual Purpose batteries, and found they were having a sale on the marine version. When I went to the store later the marine battery price was higher than the web site price, but they agreed to honor the web site price for a couple of days.

From all I read the costs of materials is going up, and battery prices will go quite a bit higher over the next few months!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

IRGuy,
Interesting. Thank you for sharing all that research. Just when I thought I was getting it from your previous posts, you throw in a bunch of colors.
Plus a woman giving her expert opinion. This will take more thought now.

You wouldn't have time to research the fifth race at Churchill Downs this Sat. nite for me would you?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Sorry Andre..

Ever since an ex girlfriend who rode horses all the time dropped me as a high school sweetheart I can't stand anything that smells like they do! I have a hard enough time figuring out how to buy batteries, let alone handicap races!