rudder table

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bmendenhall

rudder table

Post by bmendenhall »

Hello Capt. Patrick,

Hope weather in Llano is a little cooler than Longview. We are going to Grand Isle this week to work on the boat and do some fishing. We'll get you the spects on the rudders and then send you a check. Apparently the starboard rudder table has broken or settled and we are going to elevate it into original position and glass it in. My question is that I am somewhat concerned about what will happen at the shaft where it travels through the hull. Not standing over it I don't know if there is packing in there that will need to be replaced or exactly what the configuration is. We've got a 7 1/2 hr drive so I'd like to get what I need prior to leaving. Thanks, Brian Mendenhall
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Brian,

You'll need 1/4" packing if you plan on replacing the packing. The packing is in the large cap nut on top of the rudder port tube. 3 ft of material will pack both tubes with material to spare.

Useful tools will include a pipe wrench, BIG hammer, cold chisel, allen wrenches, angle grinder w/ cut off discs, & penetrating oil along with whatever other tools you'll be bringing.

Weather here is hotter than a $2 pistol. Every day for the past 2 weeks has hit at least 99º with only a trace of rain last Saturday. Forecast calls for more of the same throughout the week...

Br,

Patrick
randall

Post by randall »

patrick.....feel free to come visit....wore a full wet suit yesterday strong cool north wind....and a flannel shirt this morning....probably the coolest august in 30 years (not counting the first 3 days)....randall
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Pat - Forget NY. Come see me at the beach. Cool breezes, salt air, the exotic landscape that is Bolivar, Texas.

I have a pipe wrench, sand paper, BIG hammer, cold chisel, allen wrenches, angle grinder w/ cut off discs, & penetrating oil along with whatever other tools you'll be needing during your stay.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Randy & Ernest,

Thanks guys for the invite, only wish I could get away to visit around cooler geography... I figure my next break will be at Ft. Liquordale for the Boat Show.

Br,

Patrick