engine stand for a 6v92

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

engine stand for a 6v92

Post by Rickysa »

I'm bringing the 6v92 take-out home to work on (basically to learn more about the engines) and need a stand for it.

I've done a search on boatdiesel, but no dice...googling brings up a bunch of smallish stands (Northern Tool etc.), and a coulple of 3 tonners that rotate for way more $$ than I want to spend...

I thought I'd run it by the braintrust here for suggestions, and thanks for any input.

Rick
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ricky,

If you've got a buddy with a portable welder, or at least can locate a jobber that can come out, you can engineer a simple 4 post stand out of 2" square steel tubing, 14 ga wall thickness. You'll need also four pieces of 4" x 4" angle, 1/8" thickness. Basically it'll be an upside down coffee table, spacing the legs to match the engine mounts off of the block. A 2 ton roll around engine hoist will be a minimum necessity, unless you've got an overhead chain fall hoist in the barn.

The leg length should be high enough to easily leave clearance to drop the oil pan and pull pistons if necessary.

You'll need about 20' of square tubing plus the angle & some cross support material. Material cost for this type of stand should be under $100 if using new steel. Labor depends on who cuts & welds it up for you.

Hi to Angela for me...

Br,

Patrick
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Capt. Pat,

Thanks, just the infomation I was looking for! I've got the welding gear and can almost do a respectable job of welding two pieces of rebar together (after making 30+ tomato cages this summer).

I've got the hoist for some car work, so if I can put the stand together, I'm set.

Just have to sketch it out (have a local steel supplier) and get to burning some metal.

Angela was wondering if you have been practicing your Texas "howdies", and if you traded in your fishing gear for a 10-gallon hat...

Rick
scot

Post by scot »

Ricky,

As Capt Pat described...it will come out something like this. If you build it tall enough you can completely rebuild the engine on the stand with an "in-frame" kit. This one I had built for a 6V71 from 4" box and weighs something around 300+lbs.
Good Luck

Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Scot,

That's perfect!.....and thanks for the pics!

Rick
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ricky,

You've got my curiousity up.........what's the Detroit 692 going to power? Do you still have your Bahia Mar, or are you planning to upsize? Sorry you weren't able to make our little gathering at Harkers Island this past June. Hope all is well.

Tommy
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Tommy,

"Miss Olive" in now in the hands of a new steward, although still in Morehead....she is now "Fighting Chance", and you can see her tied up on the right as you are crossing the bridge towards Atlantic Beach.

The 6v92 is a take out from a Hatt we picked up about a year and a half ago...I'm bringing it to the shop at the house to bascially take apart and rebuild to learn more about it...

I took a week-long Detroit class that DD in Ft. Lauderdale put on that took us up to replacing liners, and I hoped they were going to offer a complete tear-down class, but no dice.

The engine was basically destroyed by the mechanic/yard that was hired to just put new liners in....they wound up running the engine without oil (ignoring the low oil pressure alarm) until it finally locked up...this necessitated an in-frame rebuild that failed after 50 hrs...we have no real recourse...

Found a reputable DD mechanic that has set us straight...but this experience has led me to want to learn as much about these engines as possible...

Once it's up and running.....I don't know....maybe make a generator out of it! I get jealous when I read about UV running on Kubota power....

Rick
Last edited by Rickysa on Oct 4th, '07, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
randall

Post by randall »

engine stand?

thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

ya boy, cept I used cinder blocks
scot

Post by scot »

Rick,

I am in need of a few parts off the 6V92 if your only keeping the old girl for research purposes.

If you have any of this stuff and can part with it...... I'm looking for the following:

>Manifolds...this is one of my BIGGEST needs. (6V92 turbo style...block huggers)
>Raw water pump female drive gear that is on the rear of the port cam.
>Heat Exchanger, just the core....I have a tank
>One of the exchanger return elbows. (it's a cast 90)

Thanks Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The DD 92 series is good for one thing, an anchor.....the 71 and 53 are OK, but the 92 is a total cluster from day one once they turboed it. The short analysis is they melt quickly. Makes a Man-grenade engine look good.

UV