fire extinguisers help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

fire extinguisers help

Post by Mikey »

Let's hear some recommendations for a diesel-powered B-31
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mikey

I would still want an automatic in the engine compartment. While rare, diesel can burn. Also, need enough to fight any electrical fires. Never enough on a boat. Not like home where you can call the fire department and run out the door. Tony Meola
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I'd say an automatic system is probably not really needed on a diesel B31 simply because of the low risk of fuel related fire and the fact the engines are not really below the deck, but in the boxes where you can get at them real easy. Now on the other hand, like Tony says, can't have too much fire put-out on board. In my view the biggest risk of fire is electrical, and a couple or 3 of 5# B/C extenguishers will do, plus don't forget your washdown hose and a good bucket.

UV
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Hi Mikey, I used the sea-fire extinguishers which have a temp valve on the head. Got a bigger one for between the motors on my B35 (under the salon floor) and a smaller one for the genset under the cockpit. though they have an optional remote indicator I haven't installed it yet and probably won't.

I got mine when I had gas motors and will be keeping them now that I'm diesel. The one thing I think is that the risk of fuel burn is greatly reduced with diesel, but the engine temp is much higher compounded by the turbo risk. So, it's cheap insurance if it keeps ya from burning and sinking, just my .02

Another thing may be an extinguisher port on the motor box?? and then go with hand helds.

br,
John
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The pro side of having an automatic in your engine boxes is the hazzard of lifting the boxes and adding instant accelerant(air) to a small smoldering fire.
It can flare up in your face engulfing you instantly.

Like Vic said, most boats with diesel end up being electrical or busting an oil line or sender and spraying hot oil on the manifold, turbo and then being ignited.

Not a bad idea in my opinion to have an automatic bottle in each engine box with an engine shut off system.
It does no good to be running along, bust an oil line, have a fire, the bottle go off and all the retardant go into the engine and out the exhaust.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

You should have a hole were you can shoot into the box without opening it up. I have 1 in the Vberth 2 at the helm and 1 in the stern and 1 on the roof.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

As Bruce said, with a diesel get the auto shutoff system. Catastrophic fires do still happen on diesel boats, they are just less likely than on gas boats and don't involve explosions. A boat was lost off Windmill Point last month when the Detriots sucked the automatic extinguishing agent out of the engine compartment and kept on running. Apparently they stumbled and shot out a cloud of white smoke, but kept going (after all they were Detroits)! It burnt to the waterline. It happened so fast that the crew weren't even able to get lifejackets before going over the side. One of them was my mechanic who runs the local boatyard in Urbanna. He doesn't even know what caused it, and he is pretty sharp. He was on the bridge and pulled the auto shutoffs when the fire extinguishers went off but the handles and cable came out in his hand! They had burned off! He said they watched the bridge slowly sink into the hull as the boat motored away from them!! They got off one cell phone call before going over the side. Couldn't even get their wallets that were stored in the cabin! The fire killed the electrical so they had no VHF!! He said it happened so fast there was nothing they could do about it (I'm sure some clears were involved which may have slowed their reaction time, but the lesson still applies!)

Also, as Brewster said, install fireports!!
http://www.marineeast.com/a_sch/sch_det ... &pid=13_01

I like the ones with the clear plastic port that you break with the fire extinguisher as seen on this page:
http://www.marineeast.com/a_hme/hme_hme.asp
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

How about some specifics on extinguishers. Names and sources.
Thanks
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein